1.    #1  
    Since the sprint Update 1.20, Butler seems to cause my Treo 600 problems. It was constantly causing a soft reset and shutting off the phone mode. It drove me crazy until I isolated the problem to Butler. I was using version 1.49. I tried a hard reset and restored with Backup Man and it still caused problems. After I uninstalled it, the phone had no more problems.

By the way Backup Man is a lifesaver, Kudos to the developer.

Is Butler a hack? I suspect this because you have to reset the phone after installing it. Is this just happening to me? Maybe it conflicts with other software. I do not have any other hacks installed.
    Last edited by fishnetb; 05/30/2004 at 12:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnetb
    [COLOR=Blue]Since the sprint Update 1.20, Butler seems to cause my Treo 600 problems. It was constantly causing a soft reset and shutting off the phone mode. It drove me crazy until I isolated the problem to Butler. I was using version 1.49. I tried a hard reset and restored with Backup Man and it still caused problems. After I uninstalled it, the phone had no more problems.

By the way Backup Man is a lifesaver, Kudos to the developer.

Is Butler a hack? I suspect this because you have to reset the phone after installing it. Is this just happening to me? Maybe it conflicts with other software. I do not have any other hacks installed.
    Couple of thoughts:

First - please let me know what was going on so I can try to fix it. There were a couple of reports of butler causing problems after the upgrade - but they were sorted by a delete & re-install.

Re Butler being a 'hack'
    There is no such thing as hack (in the traditional sense) in os 5. A hack was where you intercepted a system call to function xyz and did something else.
    This was an 'unapproved' use of some system calls and advised against by the api documentation - though extremely powerful!

In OS 5, there are a series of notifications where your app is called before various things happen (such as turning on or off). Butler uses these extensively (in order to watch things in the background). The reason for the reset after re-install is to clear any registrations for notifications from the old (now deleted) butler and to register the new butler.
    As with hacks, you can certainly cause problems by registering for notifications and doing bad stuff (now you can crash when your app isn't launched) - but they're generally safer than the old style hacks.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  3.    #3  
    Sorry I have not responded sooner but I am out of town.

It's very refreshing getting such a quick reponse from the developer.

I noticed the problem various times. After a voicemail notification mostly. I un-installed Butler prior then re-installed and still had the problem. Sometimes my phone function was in off mode for hours. I noticed this after realizing that my phone, which is used heavily, was not ringing. I also noticed the phone do a soft reset all by itself which incidently shuts off the phone mode.

I un-installed Butler again and did a hard reset and then restored with backup man using a backup I performed after deleting Butler.

I currently am afraid to use it especially now when I am out of town. I hope this info helps. I presently do not have any problems with a large compliment of 3rd part software installed. Let me know how else I can help.

Regards
    Last edited by fishnetb; 05/30/2004 at 12:29 AM.
    Thanks for getting back - I still need more info to fix a bug though. If anyone else is having this problem - please let me know.

Things I know about:

a couple of people have had probs after firmware upgrade - delete and reinstall seems to have fixed.

One person was having problems actually causes by basejet crashing on recieving a voicemail notification (turned out not to be butler)

If you do get a crash, please dial #*err afterwards to see if that gives any clues as to what is up.
    Best of all - if you can figure out how to repeat a crash - i can normally figure out what is wrong & fix it.

Cheers
    Hobbyist Software
  5.    #5  
    Confusedvorlon,

I definitely have isolated the cause of the soft reset to the voicemail notice feature. There seems to be a change after the Sprint 1.20 update that is now incompatiable with this feature. I suggest you look there for your problem. I hope I have helped.
    Confusedvorlon,

I definitely have isolated the cause of the soft reset to the voicemail notice feature. There seems to be a change after the Sprint 1.20 update that is now incompatiable with this feature. I suggest you look there for your problem. I hope I have helped.
    Hi fishnet,

thanks for pinning this down. are you running any other apps that look at voicemail notification? One user reported that crashes on vm notification stopped when they disabled basejet (and butler then workied fine)

this could prove tough - I know no way to test on sprint...
    Hobbyist Software
  7.    #7  
    I have no other voice notification programs running. It is definitely the cause of the soft resets. Can't you use a simulator for Sprint?
    I have no other voice notification programs running. It is definitely the cause of the soft resets. Can't you use a simulator for Sprint?
    as far as I know, there's no way to simulate phone events in the simulator - so I would never get any voicemail!

Just checking - have you tried a complete delete and re-install
    Can you also try version 1.6 -on another thread
    Hobbyist Software
  9.    #9  
    What is your definition of a "complete" delete? I have deleted the app with the Palm delete function and re-installed it, if that is what you mean. I will try version 1.6, but isn't that a Beta?

I will be out of town for a week so my reponse time on this forum will be slow. I also will wait until I return to try the Beta because I do not want any resets while I am traveling.

By the way, you have given the best prompt responses out of any developer I have ever communicated with. I commend you.
    Palm delete should do a complete delete. The goal is to make sure that the preferences file has been deleted. I believe some launchers (z launcher I believe) don't actually delete - but put in trash. I don't really understand it - but there seem to have been a few cases where things don't delete properly but if they are deleted eventually -then problems get fixed.

The most sure way I can think of to do a complete delete would be to do a 'debug reset' (hold up key and reset), then delete butler.

You'll have to do another reset after that to re-enable any other apps that need to register for notifications.

Re 1.6 - it is in beta - but you're getting resets anyway! One of the reasons I suggest it is that I've made the 'upgrade' code much more solid - it does a better job of checking that it doesn't accidentally use a preferences file that's out of date.
    Hobbyist Software
  11.    #11  
    Confusedvorion,

I have been out of town so sorry for the late reply. I tried the debug reset and installed your latest version 1.62.

So far no more problems. Great job.