1.    #1  
    see this thread:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=47117

I have been posting with cristopher from Norway and he's
    found an old app: KeyWord.prc for word-auto-completion
    the developer says that it's ok if anyone wants to try and
    get it to work

ryan (and others) surely you clever techies can crack this one?
    I'll donate to anybody prepared to have a try

thanks in advance

martin

the prc file is attached in the last post #29
    Last edited by martinp; 05/28/2004 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    <<< insert witty comment here >>>
    I'll look into it.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    martin, is it possible to get the source code as well?
  4.    #4  
    kevp913 I'm not sure you'll have to contact
    christopher in the other thread (post 29)
    he's the one who knows the developer

thanks for the reply, good luck

martin
    I have asked Abbey, the author of KeyWord.prc, for the source code.
    Here's Abbey's reply:

Christopher,

The KeyWord hack I did for the TW sets a system global to
    enable/disable the Auto Correct feature and reads the TW's Auto Correct
    pdb. There is nothing of value in this hack if you're looking to
    develop an Auto Correct feature. The Auto Correct feature that is
    built into the TW's ROM patches the OS's Field Event Handler. This is
    the code I think you or others would be interested in seeing.
    Unfortunately, I do not have access to any of this code. Sorry!

Feel free to pass my contact info on to others if you wish. But as I
    said, I'm fairly certain that my code has zero value.

Abbey

Those of you who want to contact Abbey, PM me and I'll give you the email address.

And to those who have no idea what this is all about:

It seems that all Palm/Handspring devices has a built in "feature" which autocorrects your spelling of certain words. That could be a good thing, if only you as the user could disable it if for instance you are one of several million PDA users who don't use English as your native language...

I grew tired of this "feature" with my former device, a Tungsten W, and discussed it over at Brighthand's forums. That's where I met Abbey, who had developed KeyWord.prc, a small hack that gave you control over the autocorrect and then some (you were also able to create own lists of words, but this feature was not fully implemented).

/Christopher
  6.    #6  
    great, good work christopher
    so far three TC members have
    shown interest in this project
    (at least to me) so maybe someone
    will pick this up and solve the mystery...
    at least I hope so because Abbeys
    reply didn't make a whole lot of sense to me..

thanks again

regards

martin
    I just had an idea:
    If the "auto-correct" words are in a pdb, we should be able to modify it through Filez! I tried looking for similar pdb-files, but no luck! Anyone know which file is used for the auto-correct feature?
    The Panel I did for the TW does not implement the Auto Correct feature. It simply sets a global that enables/disables the Auto Correct feature and reads the database file that is used by the built-in Auto Correction code. I do not have access to the Auto Correction code. My code would be of no help if you're looking to implement an Auto Correction feature.
    Any progress on this project, guys?

/Christopher
  10.    #10  
    a good question cristopher

ryan surely you have some free time
    between your other life-saving treo projects?
    what about quickster?
    Any new developments here?

I sent a message to PalmOne support. Actually, due to an error on the web page apparently I sent it twice. Therefore I received two different answers, the first a little more encouraging than the second.

from Uly:
    With regards to your recent inquiry, we will be taking the matter with our technical and design department to determine what patch or software is needed for the above mentioned. At present no known patch is available for this particular function.

Rests assure that we will get back to you as soon as we will have a fix for the matter.
    but from Ellen:
    We understand that you would like to deactivate the auto correct or auto spell check of the Treo 600.

We have enquired and confirmed from our Level 2 Technical Support Team and we were told that there is no patch for this. We regret to inform you that there is no available option in the device to deactivate this auto spell check function.

The only workaround is to continue typing or continue to key in the characters and just go back to the particular word by using the “backspace” key and type the letter again.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused.
    We might just be on our own, then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Proboscis:

Ellen:
    We understand that you would like to deactivate the auto correct or auto spell check of the Treo 600.

We have enquired and confirmed from our Level 2 Technical Support Team and we were told that there is no patch for this. We regret to inform you that there is no available option in the device to deactivate this auto spell check function.

The only workaround is to continue typing or continue to key in the characters and just go back to the particular word by using the “backspace” key and type the letter again.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused.
    How stupid is that, Palm-Ellen?
    Has it ever occured to you (meaning PalmOne) that there are quite a few million potential customers around the world that neither use English, German, French or Spanish (are those the built-in languages?) as their primary language?

Sorry, guys, had to let out some steam...

/Christopher
    Still no solution for the Treo 600?
  14.    #14  
    good point

once again, is there anyone who thinks they can solve this?
    see original post, would be very useful to all, I'd pay for a
    decent solution for sure, as would many I guess... anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by martinp
    good point

once again, is there anyone who thinks they can solve this?
    see original post, would be very useful to all, I'd pay for a
    decent solution for sure, as would many I guess... anyone?
    Hi there, just to let you people know it can be done.
    Although it is probably not for the faint of heart

Firstly, backup all your files!
    The description below is explanation how I did it (but please don't ask me to send you modified file, copyright law doesn't allow for this, and I don't want any legal trouble so I won't send them to you).

In my case, I have Treo600, with 1.12_ROW upgrade.
    So exact filenames etc. may vary for you!

In ROM I had a file called "HsExtensions 5.0 v. 1.0_enUS", sized 6701 bytes.

I used utility pz (http://www.sra.co.jp/people/hoshi/palmos/pz.html) to ZIP it up and extract it to RAM (as you can't edit a file in ROM), and afterward deleted the temporary .pz archive. Now we have a copy of file in RAM...

Fired up the hex editor (in my case RsrcEdit, from http://www.quartus.net/products/rsrcedit/) removed read-only attribute (so I could edit a file) and found that in tSTL resource #25004 there are many autocorrect strings (ahd=>had, wel => we'll, ahve=>have, htis => this etc.) separated by null-bytes.

Including the one that bothered me ( i=>I )
    So I've just replaced both of them with lowercase 'y' (so theoretically now autocorrect would replace lowercase y with another lowercase y :-), saved the changes, restored the read-only attribute, and did a soft-reset

Treo600 rebooted, and, the i=>I conversion was bothering me no more!
    And even typing 'y' alone doesn't crash it too :-)

I suspect the database could be updated with additions and removals of strings, but I don't need it so I don't want to mess with it...

So a success story. If your isn't so good, no harm done, just hard reset the treo, restore the backup, and you're where you've been. (the modification doesn't change the ROM, just overlays it in RAM).

If anybody is still interested, hope this info helps you...

Matija
  16.    #16  
    wow, thanks for the amazing reply and solution
    I may just be feeling adventurous enough
    to give this one a try soon!

one minor question:

I'm a mac man, the utilities you mention are surely
    PC thingies, any idea if it works for the mac and wether
    similar utilities are available for us mac people

once again thanks and cheers

martin
    Utilities are standard PalmOS .prc files (although packed in .zip with documentation etc), so you should have no problems getting and using them.
    For those that might be interesed, I've written a perl script which allows
    one to edit AutoCorrect list at will. Script can be found at

http://linux.voyager.hr/palmos/ac_fix.perl

and was tested on Treo680 ROW enUS. It *should* work on other Treo680s, and maybe even other Treo models. Contact me to e-mail mentioned in the script if it doesn't work for you.

Also, the script will probably be updated some time soon to allow editing of Alt keys (not only ordering, but allowing you to specify your own keys and Alternatives)
    Sounds nice, but it'd be better if there was a native palm app to edit the alt key list and autocorrect list.