Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi
    i have had the treo for a while now and i think its the best phone that i have ever had. but i am thinking of selling it and buying a cheap phone with bluetooth and another palmone device with bluetooth and just keeping the phone in bag and the palm in my pocket. but what i want to be able to do is get my emails on the plam throught the bt connection which i am quite sure you can do. but also be able to read my SMS on the plam, is this possible? any feedback would be great. as i this can be done i think i am going to have to wait for the next treo

thank you
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Or just stick with your Treo until the new Palm-based Samsung phones come out in late summer. I saw them at a tradeshow and they're pretty cool. Small flip phones with no keypad - just write on the screen.
  3.    #3  
    i have been looking at the plam based handhelds around and there is non really with a keyboard and bt if anyone know of any please give me a link
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

hmmm, I have not checked the prices lately, but a phone with bluetooth + a handheld with bluetooth will probably cost about the same as your Treo 600, except that you will have to carry both of them, they will be more bulky and probably heavier as a combination.
    and also you will hope that the BT connection will work reliably - I have heard of people complaining about BT not working all the time.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Last year I did the Bluetooth PDA/Phone combination. Here is an old post of mine about the experience:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=12

For my particular wants and needs, the Treo is a better solutions due to the integration of phone, pda and GPRS (for IM and e-mail, etc...)
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  6.    #6  
    yea i know theres only one way for me now and that is to stick with the treo 600 until the new one comes out with bt

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Sony NZ90, NX80, UX50 have keyboards and BT.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  8.    #8  
    from your post jhetzel and the problems you had i think this idea was was a bad one

You will spend more time connecting and disconnecting the bluetooth signal than you will using email or surfing the net. What you are describing really isn't practical yet.

Maybe next year (after we've all upgraded to the Treo 1200's with quad band GPRS, CDMA, Bluetooth, Wifi, and a fully featured 400 dpi camera with 1,000,000 x zoom).
    Quote Originally Posted by JHETZEL
    Last year I did the Bluetooth PDA/Phone combination. Here is an old post of mine about the experience:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=12
    I have to second JHetzel's opinion here. I also had a BT palm (Sony UX-50) and BT phone (SonyEricsson T68i first, Nokia 3650 second) and the data integration really did leave a lot to be desired. To the point where I basically stuck with using the POP3 client native to the Nokia 3650 -- it was just easier and more reliable.

And for some reason, I could never ... EVER ... get the UX-50 to read the SMS's out of the 3650. Even with tracking down a "driver" which looked to be close, I just couldn't do it.

BT, despite all its hype, just isn't there yet. Stick with the Treo.
    Toomer
  11.    #11  
    i never relized bt was so un reliable i have only seen the good side to it with sending filies and pictures and 2 layer gaming

i concur that the palm/bluetooth phone combo isn't as seamless as it should be. i went from a sidekick for the 2 week trial, then decided to return it to get a clie tg50 (cause it had the keyboard & bluetooth to use with my t68i) and after finally getting the internet connection to work with the clie, i noticed that, like rosenft said, it seemed like a spent most of the time watching the bluettoh/signing on connection screen than anything else. it was just very cumbersome. not to mention that the tg50 keyboard was nearly useless since half the interaction with the palm was via the stylus and the other half via the keyboard. the treo really made huge strides in this regard. so i returned the clie, bought another sidekick, used that for a year and now I'm on the treo. granted the nokia 660 has been tempting me since it's a bit more simple, has an open architecture allowing you to run programs, and it integrates very well with my mac's isync/bluetooth. but i'll probably just stick with the treo. for a while.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I had a Toshiba e740 with a bluetooth CF card to t68i then T2 to the t68i. I much, much prefer the single device. The Treo 600 is far simpler. A bluetooth headset would be nice, but it is not worth carrying 3 devices.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    so i'm sitting in a small town in Oklahoma, reading these posts on my treo, and replying wirelesly - that to me shows the value of the Treo wlan connection over wi-fi - no way is there a hot spot within a hundred miles of me.
    So I had to comment on all these peoples' posts on their past experiences with the great thing that is Bluetooth. When the 600s first came out, there was the huge stink made about it not having Bluetooth. I think that just by reading the posts here of folks who have HAD Bluetooth and the 600, and who think that the single device solution is so much more elegant, is such a strong statement, collectively, on the greatness of the 600. People who have used BOTH have weighed in with their opinions. That is the type of feedback that means so much more than the typical BT fanboy who, never having used the device, says 'I won't use it until it has BT'. I'm not saying there's no place for BT, or that BT isn't useful for some folks & some situations, but the feedback here is a tremendous statement on the overall goodness and simplicity of the single device solution.
    The reason I included that whole thing about Oklahoma was to underscore the value of the single device - I probably wouldn't want to hassle with a BT connection (and probably wouldn't have a GSM or GPRS signal out here in the middle of nowhere, but Sprint has me going strong).
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I probably wouldn't want to hassle with a BT connection
    I'm of the firm belief that PalmOne will soon be offering entirely modular phone/PDA combinations - separate devices communicating with each other. Handspring had the habit of, at the very least, SAYING that they concentrated on ease-of-use - I expect these modular PalmOne devices to relatively seamlessly communicate (that is, no hassle with a BT connection).

[note - I believe this because PalmOne has taken the stance that multiple communicating devices can be called "converged" (!!!), a slide in one of their presentations shows that the Tungsten line is what they're aiming at The Enterprise market, and my personal belief - so far backed up with real numbers for other TREO models - that only early-adopters are buying the very expensive TREO line, an insufficient number of customers to sustain the line]
    After talking with a few folks who have BT headsets/phones I've decided it's not worth the bother. It's bad enough that I have to schlepp chargers for my laptop and treo whenever I travel; now I have to carry another charger for my headset? No thanks. I can see it making sense for the really heavy mobile users (sales, real estate) but not for me. JMO.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by andy.e
    After talking with a few folks who have BT headsets/phones I've decided it's not worth the bother. It's bad enough that I have to schlepp chargers for my laptop and treo whenever I travel; now I have to carry another charger for my headset? No thanks. I can see it making sense for the really heavy mobile users (sales, real estate) but not for me. JMO.

Andy
    I agree. BT headset seemed like an irresistable idea, but in practice it was more trouble than it was worth. I now had two batteries that could run down. As much as I hate that wire, I like a headset better than holding the phone to my ear. I use headsets for most voice appls. As much as I hate that wire, BT is not the solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    I'm of the firm belief that PalmOne will soon be offering entirely modular phone/PDA combinations - separate devices communicating with each other. Handspring had the habit of, at the very least, SAYING that they concentrated on ease-of-use - I expect these modular PalmOne devices to relatively seamlessly communicate (that is, no hassle with a BT connection).
    From your keyboard to God's screen. Unfortunately, your good ideas, even those that everyone else likes, seem less than obvious to PalmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    [note - I believe this because PalmOne has taken the stance that multiple communicating devices can be called "converged" (!!!), a slide in one of their presentations shows that the Tungsten line is what they're aiming at The Enterprise market, and my personal belief - so far backed up with real numbers for other TREO models - that only early-adopters are buying the very expensive TREO line, an insufficient number of customers to sustain the line]
    Please God, save us all from PalmOne pushing the Tungsten. It is ugly and klunky and moves us in the wrong direction. I want a device that is transport agnostic, not one that depends upon "hotspots." I want a device that leaves the application decisions to me, not one that requires that I choose a device based upon network and application. Where [else] is the buzz for the Tungsten?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I personally use Treo 600 with Sprint and SE T610/iPaq 4150 combo with T-Mobile. I like both settings. Treo 600 works seamlessly, but with BT phone I have an option to hook my up phone with iPaq, my laptop, BT headset, and even my desktop. Also I rarely had problem in connecting my iPaq to T610. I usually stow T610 in my bag and don't even bother to take it out unless it needs recharge. Just tap on the T610 icon on the iPaq, and it connects in a few seconds.
    Another benefit of BT combo is I can choose from many PDAs and phones and upgrade as I need. I've upgraded my PDA from iPaq 2210 to Tungsten T3 to iPaq 4150. Though I like Treo a lot, honeslty it's not the best PDA available out there and I'm happy I can upgrade at will.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast