1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to connect to the internet from your laptop using the Treo 600 as a GPRS connection?

TIA
    i think you can use the infared if you have port on your laptop
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Try WirelessModem from www.notifymail.com or PDAnet from www.junefabrics.com.
    I use PDAnet. Used it with my 270. Works much better and faster with 600. There is a client component that goes on your laptop and a server component that goes on the 600. I use a short (12") USB power/sync cable. Setup is easy. Startup and connection is trivial. On the Treo, select the PDAnet application and tap the "Connect" icon. The laptop recognizes the Treo (as in a Hotsync) and completes the connection to the Internet. (Ranks with Directory Assistant in quality and value.) Speed is to Wi-Fi as Wi-Fi is to ethernet.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks so much whmurray :O)

PDAnet works a treat with my USB sync cable and the connection is very fast. This is exactly what I was after.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsp123
    Thanks so much whmurray :O)

PDAnet works a treat with my USB sync cable and the connection is very fast. This is exactly what I was after.
    It is fun to be able to review a good product that meets people's needs.
    I also highly recommend PdaNet. AAMOF, I'm using it now. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, and am the only one with a net connection. It's a kick as well as very helpful and practical. Definitely worth the $$.
    without a doubt the BEST, most used piece of software I use! Very reliable, steady connection (finally in new version) & especially with my $10 a month unlimited internet usage plan!! :-D
    I know this isn't a Treo solution, but here is what I do. I have a treo 600 with tmo service. What I did was buy a merlin wireless GPRS PCMCIA card off ebay for $25. All I do is switch the sim card out of the treo with the PCMCIA card on my laptop. Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaca
    I know this isn't a Treo solution, but here is what I do. I have a treo 600 with tmo service. What I did was buy a merlin wireless GPRS PCMCIA card off ebay for $25. All I do is switch the sim card out of the treo with the PCMCIA card on my laptop. Works great.
    Glad to know that I can get $25- for my Merlin Card. Have not used it since I got PDAnet. Is faster but the software is simply not as reliable.
    is anyone in canada, specifically ontario, using this service. rogers at & t plans are just a little too expensive for gprs
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    I also highly recommend PdaNet. AAMOF, I'm using it now. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, and am the only one with a net connection. It's a kick as well as very helpful and practical. Definitely worth the $$.
    Where would you be out of nowhere? You should be near a cell site tower or else you cannot connect at all. Are you using CDMA or GSM?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Where would you be out of nowhere? You should be near a cell site tower or else you cannot connect at all. Are you using CDMA or GSM?
    I'm at Ft. McClellan in beautiful Anniston, Alabama. There's nothing here at all, although some fairly industrious soul did manage to get a cable (tv, not internet) connection in one of the male barracks. There aren't any phone outlets though, so dialup isn't even an option. Thank goodness the T-Mo service is strong out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    is anyone in canada, specifically ontario, using this service. rogers at & t plans are just a little too expensive for gprs
    I do not understand how these two things are related. However, for what its worth, PDAnet is connection agnostic. It does not care whether you are using a dial connection or GPRS, whether you are paying by the minute, by the byte, metered or flat-rate. It simply uses your default connection.

Depending upon one's plan and use, either voice minutes or data bytes can be very cheap or very expensive. If one has a plan w/ unlimited minutes, then dial connection is very cheap. If one has limited minutes, merely wants to be connected, but downloads little data, then GPRS is very cheap.

Since my plan is flat-rate for voice and data and because GPRS is faster, I prefer GPRS. However, I have been known to use a dial connection for backup.

In the US, flat-rate plans for both wired and wireless are becoming the standard for all but very low use users. Rogers and its competitors will get the bug eventually.
    Last edited by whmurray; 05/30/2004 at 01:25 PM.
    I downloaded it and tried it yesterday...works great. Very happy with it. Spend part of the evening playing bridge online from my dining room.