1.    #1  
    The Treo 600 supports the E911 service, which sends your phone's location to the emergency system when you call. The location data is obtained from a builtin GPS receiver in the phone. What other apps get the GPS location without extra HW? How is the builtin GPS HW exposed in the PalmOS API?
    The Treo uses aGPS (Assisted GPS, and the "SnapTrack" brand in particular), which basically gets a rough idea of your position using cell tower triangulation, and then using this is able to use GPS. Without an estimation of your position, the weak GPS in the Treo would take up to an hour to get your position.

Now, all we need is Sprint to turn on SnapTrack, and we'll be golden. Google for SnapTrack for more info.

Thanks,
    Peter
    If I understood what I read on the SnapTrack website this will only work if you are within range of a cell tower. I would like to see the GPS receiver communicate via Bluetooth to the Treo.

...David
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    The Treo uses aGPS (Assisted GPS, and the "SnapTrack" brand in particular), which basically gets a rough idea of your position using cell tower triangulation, and then using this is able to use GPS. Without an estimation of your position, the weak GPS in the Treo would take up to an hour to get your position.

Now, all we need is Sprint to turn on SnapTrack, and we'll be golden. Google for SnapTrack for more info.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Isn't there an FCC requirement regarding requiring Cell providers to have location "identification" capabilities?...not sure when it went into effect or if it is upcomming....would this "push" Sprint to "turn on SnapTrack"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK400
    Isn't there an FCC requirement regarding requiring Cell providers to have location "identification" capabilities?...not sure when it went into effect or if it is upcomming....would this "push" Sprint to "turn on SnapTrack"??????
    They can use it themselves, but they haven't "turned it on" so that we the consumers can use it.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldon
    If I understood what I read on the SnapTrack website this will only work if you are within range of a cell tower. I would like to see the GPS receiver communicate via Bluetooth to the Treo.

...David
    Sorry, I don't understand your message:

1: Yes, this only works when you're in range of a few towers, since the GPS chip isn't powerful enough to figure out where you are by itself in under an hour.
    2: I don't understand your reference to Bluetooth? The aGPS circuitry is all within the Treo 600 itself. When you say "the GPS receiver", do you mean an external receiver or the internal one?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    Sorry, I don't understand your message:

1: Yes, this only works when you're in range of a few towers, since the GPS chip isn't powerful enough to figure out where you are by itself in under an hour.
    2: I don't understand your reference to Bluetooth? The aGPS circuitry is all within the Treo 600 itself. When you say "the GPS receiver", do you mean an external receiver or the internal one?

Thanks,
    Peter
    My point is that if I'm driving in an area where my provider doesn't have towers this solution wouldn't work (I'm assuming it would only work with towers from my provider).

Second comment really didn't have anything to do the subject except that since I don't think that aGPS will work like I would like it to, I would rather get a regular GPS solution and would prefer one that could communicate with the T600 via Bluetooth rather than a cable. I guees it's another dig at palmOne that they should have included Bluetooth and a hi-res screen and more memory. Oh wait, that's the new T610 that is coming out soon.

...David
    My point is that if I'm driving in an area where my provider doesn't have towers this solution wouldn't work (I'm assuming it would only work with towers from my provider).
    Yes, but this satisfies the E911 requirement, which demands correlation between a call and a location. No call = no requirement to know where you are :-)

Thanks,
    Peter
    I guess I misunderstood the point. I thought mattruby's point was that the builtin GPS should be accessible and usable for purposes other than the E911 service.

...David
    I guess I misunderstood the point. I thought mattruby's point was that the builtin GPS should be accessible and usable for purposes other than the E911 service.
    From mattruby's original post, he assumed there was a standalone GPS unit inside the Treo, which isn't the case.

However, I'm still very interested in figuring out the aGPS stuff programmatically, since 99% of the time, I'm within cell tower range. On the other hand, that 1% is when I really need it ... :-)

Thanks,
    Peter