View Poll Results: Does your Treo turn on by itself at 3:30 a.m.?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

220 57.59%
  • No

68 17.80%
  • I Don't Know

67 17.54%
  • I Don't Care

27 7.07%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Try installing Profiles.
    This app has given me a partial fix. The screen still turns on, but goes off after 30 seconds. Activate the "General" section and set the option "StayOnWhenPlugin" to Off.

By the way, I have attempted to contact palmOne on this issue several times without success.
    This app fixed my problem too. Only thing is it adds a 1/2 second delay once you hit the Center button to take Keyguard off. If I take Keyguard off and hit say... the calander button right away, it wont register until the "profile name" clears off the screen. I hit the calender button again right away and it works. A tiny price to pay to keep my screen off at night.
    Look at the last lot of programs you installed and remove them. Then install and try each one, one by one. You might be able to find out which one is the offending piece of software causing the turn on. I have found several software programs cause my Treo to go into a continuous softboot or for it to turn on and then stay on. Sometmes it can be a combination of several softwares doing simular tasks like turn on and off programs for the phone or the keyguard. Process of elimination is the best method of identifying the source of your problem.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Quote Originally Posted by The123
    This app fixed my problem too. Only thing is it adds a 1/2 second delay once you hit the Center button to take Keyguard off. If I take Keyguard off and hit say... the calander button right away, it wont register until the "profile name" clears off the screen. I hit the calender button again right away and it works. A tiny price to pay to keep my screen off at night.
    You can set profiles not to give you the name. Under Prefrences - profiles- there is an option "profile" and a check box, "Disable notifier for this profile." I have the day notifier off and the night (which I use because of the 3:30 problem) not checked.
    Laissez Faire
    So anyway, has anyone found a fix for this problem?
    I have the same problem...3:30am and the scrren lights up. Im on my 14 day trail with Sprint and have not added any programs other than those that were added when I synced....so I don' think its a conflict with programs (too mny people here with a wide variety of set ups / programs to not be a "systemic" problem)...sounds like a firmware problem. Has anyone gotten someone a PalmOne to acknowlege the problem?

I guess no one has found a fix either?
    I have 2 phones that do the same thing (VZW and AT&T). I've been using GalenMD's suggestion all along and it works well. The phones turn on around 3 AM and stop turning on/off around 4 AM. I've hard/special reset the GSM phone to ensure no software conflicts. I suspect it will do the same thing if I just set the time to 3:30 AM.
    Did you read through this thread before posting??

I don't mean to get off on a rant here (Thanks Dennis Miller), but... I know many people are new to the 600 and this forum (Welcome--it's a great place and extremely helpful), but soooo many times the explanation, answer, or at minimum a very significant discussion about a topic is already available in the massive archive of data available on this site. Yet, people post essentially the same question in thread Post #110 as in post #1. The search functionlity is pretty good too. Obviously you found this thread using the search. Skimming just a few of the heftier posts isn't that hard and will more times than not, give you the answer (even if the answer doesn't solve the problem because that problem is really a 'feature' forced on us by the questionable logic of Sprint and/or Palm coders and product managers!!!)

Anyway, the explanation for this phenomena is already in this thread several times I think, but at least once (in my post #91). I actually really do want to be helpful and enjoy this forum so I will expand a bit now regarding 'a solution'...

I haven't followed the converstation much since I posted (haven't read all the messages after mine--kind of ironic isn't it), so I don't know if anyone found or developed a technical solution to change this behavior built into the ROM and firmware by Sprint.

However, (#1) setting your auto-off time to 30 seconds using a profile program such as profiles or profeo LT. This at least keeps your battery from draining if you aren't plugged in. (#2) I keep my phone in the cover it shipped with. This or laying the phone screen-down on the nightstand is pretty good for ensuring the light doesn't bother me.

Good luck and sorry for the rant again--- but this 'search first', 'read the thread', and 'read the manual' guidance should be part of required terms and conditions to post to a topic and especially to post a new topic.
    I just sent another email to Sprint asking if they have a fix for this problem and referring them to this discussion if they didn't know what I was talking about, which they usually do not know.

HEY! If many people ask them, maybe it will penetrate the gray matter and they will consult with palm one and the software people will spend several minutes writing a few lines of code, and zap, this simple problem will be fixed!
    This was my email to Sprint: Question:
    do you have a fix yet for the Treo 600 display lighting up everynight at
    3:30 am?
    see:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=51333
    and please don't tell me that you want me to bring my phone into a store; read the discussion if you don't know about this issue, or ask palmone
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Same issue but it goes off after a minute
    I haven't checked if my phone comes on at 3:30am but I know my phone does come on periodically to check for new email. But the other night I turned off my wireless to charge my phone quicker, and it would still turn on by itself several times over an hour.

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I just scanned through the thread.
  12. DJT
    It's a government conspiracy which uses the combined power of all our Treos to contact aliens in another galaxy at 3:30AM. Since people are in different time zones, a message is sent out approximately every hour all around the world.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

It wakes me up at 3:30am....

Quote Originally Posted by tialoc
    Same issue but it goes off after a minute
    I am a new Treo 600 owner - Sprint. Bought it two weeks ago.

I noticed the screen was on when taking it from the cradle in the morning and had assumed it was backup buddy doing its thing (set for 7:00 AM)

Wanting to find an autoshutoff function I began searching the manual and online sources and then found this thread.

I did the time reset to 3:29... yep - same problem here too. Seems to happen in or out of the cradle too.

So... Is there a definite answer to what is happening here? In greenawayj's post he states "The proposed theory is that this alarm is for the phone to update it's local clock with Sprint's network time. "

Is this the answer to why? And is there a tested and good resolution. I also don't particularly like the thought this is addiing unnecessary wear and tear to the screen and batteries.

Seems one post here has the problem with just the basic phone... no 3rd party software to blame.
  15.    #115  
    Right. This is due to a firmware problem, not a 3rd party app.

The actual reason as to why this happens is not clear. While the alarm has been isolated as being created by the Date and Time Panel app, I don't think it is calling to syncronize the time since that happens at any time during the day without activating the screen.

The only solution I have seen so far is to install "Profiles." There is a new version posted on this forum somewhere. Set the screen preferences to go off after 30 seconds. That's the best that can be done.
    Yep! Mine does it too... Has woken me from a sound sleep like someone shining a flashlight in my face!

Nice going, P1. Great feature...
    -C
    I wasted half an hour on the phone yesterday with a Sprint level two tech... I even got him to log on and read this thread. He did listen, but basically said they don't plan on doing anything about it since he viewed it as a "network" problem. At lease that is what his supervisor told him. I asked him to read this thread in detail, have his supervisor read it... of just do a search on Google on the same topic... lots more threads out there with the same problem. I am convinced this is a firmware problem, not network related. Enough wasted time though!

I installed Profile and it works great so far... seems the screen still comes on at 3:30 but then promptly turns off in 30 seconds. Good enough for me.

Perhaps Sprint will work this out in their next firmware release.
    I have T-Mobile and mine comes on at 330 a.m. central time also. Not sure it syncs the actual displayed time. I wonder if I reset my time to an incorrect time whether it would affect anything else? For example, eamail date stamping, telephone call log times, etc.? I imagine the answer is no, that T-Mobile controls.

On the other hand, if I fly to Los Angeles and do nothing to my Treo 600, I wonder if the device would come on at 3:30 a.m. Pacific Time or 1:30 Pacific Time, "thinking" I was still in Texas, the central time zone?

What do you guys and gals think?

Robert in Austin, Texas
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Well, here's a new wrinkle, I haven't seen mentioned. In addition to my Treo "waking up at 3:30" which it has done since, well, since the firmware update...my Treo 600, SPCS, version1.20 SPR Rev C...is waking up at 3:00 am and 3:30 am.

I use TreoHelper to turn the radio off at 11:45 and back on at 7:30 so it cannot be communicating with anyone/thing. Also the screen shuts off after 30 seconds anyway as per my prefs.

Just tossing this into the mix. Anyone else's having the same occurance?

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zero
    Well, here's a new wrinkle, I haven't seen mentioned. In addition to my Treo "waking up at 3:30" which it has done since, well, since the firmware update...my Treo 600, SPCS, version1.20 SPR Rev C...is waking up at 3:00 am and 3:30 am.

I use TreoHelper to turn the radio off at 11:45 and back on at 7:30 so it cannot be communicating with anyone/thing. Also the screen shuts off after 30 seconds anyway as per my prefs.

Just tossing this into the mix. Anyone else's having the same occurance?

Cheers!

Just so that everybody knows this is a routine maintenance the treo does every night around 3 am. It's kind of like what OSX (and other Unix variants) do-clean up so they can retain their non windows like stability over time. The Treo (Sprint) started doing this with the 1.2 (beta) update. The screen turning on (and staying on) is actually a bug that was supposed to to be fixed with the 1.2 final update, but wasn't ready by the rollout date. I beta test SPCS P1 phones for a Product developer at Sprint and this is what he explained was the cause of this when I was testing 1.2 back in January and first experienced this. There will almost certainly not be any more firmware updates for this model, as the next treo is on it's way shortly, so you're probably S.O.L. if it really gets your goat. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast