View Poll Results: Does your Treo turn on by itself at 3:30 a.m.?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

220 57.59%
  • No

68 17.80%
  • I Don't Know

67 17.54%
  • I Don't Care

27 7.07%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i dont think my treo turns on at 330am...but i have noticed that i after i do an SMS session..when i turn off the screen...a few seconds later it will turn back on

i have firmware 3.04
    I bet you have Butler installed. When any of its handled alarms go off, it will turn the screen back on one more time after you stop the alert/reminder at the alert interval. This will happen even when reminder alerts are set to leave the screen off. Incredibly annoying, and yes I told confusedvorlon.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    okay, i was awaken this morning at around 3:28am and upon returning to bed 2 minutes later, my treo was on. this is the funniest thing.

i use butler but i do not use the alarms feature. i'm beginning to wonder if it is datebk5 checking for floating events that need to advance to the next day.
  3.    #63  
    Update:
    I do indeed have Profiles installed. Truly, a great utility. In it's set-up, I elected not to use the "General" section and had it checked-off. Last night, I activated that section and have set the option "StayOnWhenPlugin" to Off. My screen still turns on at 3:30, but at least the screen goes off after 30 seconds.
    This will have to do. Before, when the screen did not turn off, it wouldn't wake me for at least a few minutes of even half-an-hour. Besides, I created a "Night" profile with a dim screen that also helps.
    My Sprint Treo does this - Rev C, version 1.20. It powers off (per my user settings) after 30 seconds, though, so it doesn't bother me that much...
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Update:
    I do indeed have Profiles installed. Truly, a great utility. In it's set-up, I elected not to use the "General" section and had it checked-off. Last night, I activated that section and have set the option "StayOnWhenPlugin" to Off. My screen still turns on at 3:30, but at least the screen goes off after 30 seconds.
    This will have to do. Before, when the screen did not turn off, it wouldn't wake me for at least a few minutes of even half-an-hour. Besides, I created a "Night" profile with a dim screen that also helps.
    Well, it looks like 3rd-party software was, indeed, responsible. I'm glad you figured out what was keeping your Treo turned on after its wake-up at 3:30am.

Lesson for all: Double-check your 3rd-party applications. ...and be more aware of what is installed on your device.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6.    #66  
    I believe there are people without this app that are having problems. Regardless, the screen should NOT be turning on at 3:30, which is still the root cause.
    GalenMD-
    You are correct. I have this problem and the only 3rd party app running is Agendus V8. Since I purchased mine, (Handspring labeled) SprintPCS Treo600, back in December it has always stayed on in the charger if the screen gets activated. It was only after the 1.2 update that it turns on and subsequently stays on at 3:30am.

Do I understand correctly that "Profiles" will work to turn the screen back off? If so, I'll try it. This is the most annoying problem I've had with a Pilot/PalmPilot/Palm/PalmOne product since they came out in 1996.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I believe there are people without this app that are having problems. Regardless, the screen should NOT be turning on at 3:30, which is still the root cause.
    Fair enough observation. Given that there is no setting in the built-in Prefs or applications for leaving the device turned on while in the cradle (ie. charging), the logical conclusion is that a 3rd-party application (or library) is the cause of the device staying on after the 3:30am wake-up.

I agree, it shouldn't be waking up in the first place, but since it does (apparently due to the firmware upgrade to 1.20), and since my device doesn't STAY on after waking up (I don't have nor have I ever had "Profiles" installed), it's still most likely that a 3rd-party app is responsible for the device staying on.

Quote Originally Posted by ekim
    GalenMD-
    You are correct. I have this problem and the only 3rd party app running is Agendus V8.
    Well I have lots of 3rd-party apps and my Treo turns off after waking up at 3:30am. I have Agendus 8, so it is unlikely that Agendus is keeping your device on.

Anyone have any more ideas as to why the device is staying on for some folks, but not others? Or, better yet, any more ideas on how to get it to stop coming on in the first place?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Okay folks...

As an experiment to conclude once and for all if it's 3rd-party software that is keeping the device on after its 3:30am wake-up, I...

1. Did a backup to SD card.
    2. Removed the card.
    3. Did a hard reset (Wiped Memory--Nothing left but the stock Palm applications in their default settings).
    4. Set the "Auto-off After" option to "30 seconds".
    4. Turned off the "Enable Local Network Time" option.
    5. Set the Time Zone to my local time zone (USA Eastern).
    6. Set the time to 3:29am.
    7. Turned off the Treo.
    8. Plugged it into the charger.

The Treo woke up at "3:30am" and then turned off after 30 seconds.

I then repeated the process, but plugged the charger in prior to turning off the Treo. Same results: It turned off after 30 seconds as it was set to do.

Conclusions

1. The Treo will turn off after waking up when no 3rd-party applications are installed.
    2. The Treo turns off after waking up with my list of 3rd-party applications (see above in this thread).
    3. 3rd-party applications are not responsible for the device turning on at 3:30am (That is something the firmware is doing).
    4. Despite what anyone says...for those individuals whose Treo stays on half the night after the 3:30am wake-up...a 3rd-party application (or the leftover pieces of one that wasn't properly deleted) is responsible for the device staying on.

Like it or not, those are the facts. As I've said before: Double-check your apps (and look for left-over libraries from previous installations). Also check your Backup and Archive folders on your Hotsync profile. Something that you've installed (either on purpose or inadvertantly) is responsible for it staying on all night.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

10.    #70  
    GalenMD-
    Do I understand correctly that "Profiles" will work to turn the screen back off? If so, I'll try it. This is the most annoying problem I've had with a Pilot/PalmPilot/Palm/PalmOne product since they came out in 1996.
    First, I think everyone should try Profiles. This is a really great utility. The only problem I have had with it, is that nowhere does anyone tell you how to use it!!

Install it and go to system prefs. Choose Profiles from the drop down list and create a few profiles for different sounds/volumes/screen setting/etc. If you hold down the option key (while in any app) the profile choices will appear.

This app seemed to save me from this problem.
    My Treo also wakes up and stays on permanently when any app/alert (e.g. Calendar alert, voice message) triggers while the treo is plugged in - always has.
    Before the 1.2 patch, only calendar items and voice mail would trigger it if they happened to fire at night. Now, it is triggered every day (presumably at 3:30 am).
    However, I have never installed any applications on this device other than ptunes, which I've never used.
    Perhaps is data specific (I started this treo with a full sync of contact/calendar data - no apps - that used to be on my sony clie).
    Anyone heard anything more?
    This is very frustrating, I will try Profiles.
    I think that's it: the old sony clie has a stay-on-in-cradle option, which was set to 'on' (not by me). Somehow, this pref was happily transferred/set in the treo in moving my contacts/calendar over, despite the fact that the treo has no option/interface to turn this off without an app like Profiles.
    That's just brilliant.
    Perhaps they accidentally installed a "time to make the donuts" feature in the firmware?

When I get up in the morning sometimes the screen is on, sometimes just the keys are lit... I assumed it had something to do with the charging being complete and never really noticed the exact time...

Perhaps it is some plot to have all the treo's wakeup at a particular time and phone home...
    hmm...

Jim
    GSM Cingular (possessed phone)
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Weird. I'm almost never up this late, but I couldn't sleep tonight. I just happened to look over at my Treo, and noticed it was on... looked at the time - 3:30 am! I immediately thought of this thread - I had seen this thread before but never opened it up. I guess here's another vote for yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by procure
    Weird. I'm almost never up this late, but I couldn't sleep tonight. I just happened to look over at my Treo, and noticed it was on... looked at the time - 3:30 am! I immediately thought of this thread - I had seen this thread before but never opened it up. I guess here's another vote for yes.
    Ok, this thread is getting to me, I am on the verge of going for the T-Mo updater but reading this thread forces me to re-evaluate. When you post here, can you please specify the following:
    phone type: GSM or CDMA
    service provider: ATT, Cingular, etc.
    Firmware: 2.12, 3.04, 3.05 etc. Specify if base or upgraded
    Software: 1.11-INT, etc.
    Hardware: B, etc.
    Maybe we can find some common pattern which we could report to Pa1mOne.
    ronbo2000-
    I have:
    CDMA
    SprintPCS
    upgrade 1.2
    Hardware: Treo 600 x.y ? It is labeled Handspring not PalmOne.

I continue to have the problem of turning on at 3:30am every day. I had no 3rd party software other than Agendus V8.
    Maybe Insp Gadget is onto something. I migrated from a Clie UX50 which might have had the "stay on in the cradle" option selected and transfered the lib file with that information. Similar things have happened to me in the past with other PDA migrations but I figured this would not be an issue since the Treo software installation was supposed to weed out files that should not be installed from other Palm PDAs.

I have since installed "Profiles" like GlenMD suggested. At least now my screen will turn off after 30 seconds.
    ronbo2000-
    I have:
    CDMA
    SprintPCS
    upgrade 1.2
    Hardware: Treo 600 x.y ? It is labeled Handspring not PalmOne.

.... since the Treo software installation was supposed to weed out files that should not be installed from other Palm PDAs....
    The Treo 600 desktop software install was supposed to have weeded out the files but not very clean. I knew because as soon as I migrated over to the 600 the first problem I ran into was an incompatible application which forced my phone to reset everytime I go the group where the application icon was. It also left some databases that the applications that was not migrated over.

The hardware specs for CDMA are not the same as GSM phones. Aside from the Handspring label on the hardware, there is no other designation?
    No other designation on the enclosure. The phone info drop down menu shows
    "Hardware: Treo 600 x.y"
    Just to chime in... Sprint CDMA Rev C, latest firmware, comes on at 3:30... only 3rd party stuff I have on is Scrabble, Filez, SoundRec, KeyCaps, and SplashPhoto.

I could care less really, but the first time, it freaked me out! I was um rather drunk, and it came on, and I was all "HOLY SHIZNIT, A G-G-G-G-GHOST!"
    The treo's are possesed.

Any way the cause could be locater is on and pings us about that time. Locater is the cheap a** gps built in for police purposes. Any how try to turn it off. Also I don't wake to those thing so I have no clue.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast