View Poll Results: Does your Treo turn on by itself at 3:30 a.m.?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

220 57.59%
  • No

68 17.80%
  • I Don't Know

67 17.54%
  • I Don't Care

27 7.07%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Possible workaround. Use one of the profile programs. A timed profile with mail checking enabled (10am-10pm) and a profile with mail checking disabled (10pm-10am).

HTH,
    Joe
    What timed profile app interfaces with mail checking?
    This happens to my Treo 600 every night too. When I find it on, it is always on the "keypad" screen. It has never been on an application such as e-mail or any other application. I need my phone in my bedroom to hear it ring at night but now the screen wakes me up. I now put a 3x5 card over the screen with a rubber band. My concern is that my screen will have an average of 21 extra hours of "on time" each week.......or 1092 extra hours per year. This will shorten the life of the LCD and the backlights. Palm needs to get their act together on this issue.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    You know, I was going to start this same thread. It doesnt really bother me, but I do wonder why it happens. I just got my second T600 I will let you know if it does the same thing.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Happens to me too, so weird...
  5.    #25  
    I have sent palmOne/Handspring several e-mails about this topic. All I have received were boilerplate statements such as: "Thank you for your interest in our product. Product support is available at our website..."

How pathetic. Don't you think that if someone is reporting an error in your product that you would at least take the time to send it to the guys that write the software.

I am now regretting updating the firmware. This small downside has a big effect on me. I am not interested in attaching an index card, nor burning out my screen. Changing the time would make my scheduler useless.

I may have to resort to charging my device at another time. Unless, of course, one of us can figure out which app is causing this problem.
    It's not merely figuring out which app, but figuring out how to remove the offending app from rom
    (Uuuuugggghh!!!!!!!! This is some creepy SH!T.)

I did a hard reset and it still happened....... Did you say ROM???? (That damn update...)

It's making a negative impact on my phone. Check this out....................

I have the Battery app installed, and it gives me a graphic representation of the battery drain and charge. I noticed a while ago that during a night time charge, that the graph would go up at a linear slope (pretty fast charging), but right at 3:30 (I suppose) it would make a different slope (still charging but not as quickly). Before 3:30, the hill was steeper, but after 3:30 it was not as steep. As a matter of fact, this never happened before my update.............
    I know this because the whole purpose in getting my second replacement was because of the fast battery drain (from the Network Searching... issue). When I got my replacement, I was so happy that after a night long charge the slope was so steep, meaning it probably charged within 2 hours, whereas my last t600 took at least 5 (but that's a whole different topic).

Anyhow, no wonder I noticed that my battery drains a little faster after the update.
    Wouldn't you think so too?
    It is likely that little if any charging occurs while the screen and radio are on. I would think it is mostly a 1:1 ratio. This could be why my I go through the battery faster after the update.
    I have been following this thread and finally tried and found the following, for what it's worth:

My treo was nearly fully charged, I put it in the charging cradle, set the time to 3:25 AM, turned the screen off, left radio/phone on and waited.

It did not turn on.

I have a GSM Palm one (refurb) unit on T-mobile with 3.04 firmware upgrade.

Hope this helps with the clues to find out a common denominator of what factors cause it to happen.
    I think it does help. Thanks. It seems to be a Treo 600 CDMA issue. Probably Palm/Sprint firmware.
    Its the "Date & Time" preference panel. You can use AlarmList to see this.

Its seems that even with "Enable Local Network Time" unchecked, it still wants to wake up to see if it needs to sync the time. Kinda stupid.

The email a68k file is being created because the email app is registered for events when the Palm turns on or off, so it can poll for mail. Basically if you delete that file and turn your palm off, it will be created.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Thanks! Now we know what's causing it. How do we fix it? Does AlarmListallow you to alter it? Certainly, we can not delete this file as it seems vital to the unit's operation. Can we substitute the one from the old firmware?
    ThirdType-
    Thanks. This is great!
    At least we have some understanding now.
    Hopefully this leads to a fix.
  14.    #34  
    I just got off the phone with support at palmOne. They tried to forward me to Sprint, but I put a rapid halt to that.

I had a long pleasant discussion with one of the CSR's. She obviously has no knowledge of any true programming issues. I begged her to simply escalate the issue to a high level technician so that anybody at palm would be made aware of this problem.

If anyone here is using the old firmware, please, please, copy the "Date & Time panl" file (use FileZ) onto your card or PC for possible future use (just a wild shot in the dark anyway. Who knows, maybe replacing this would crash the whole system).
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType

Its seems that even with "Enable Local Network Time" unchecked, it still wants to wake up to see if it needs to sync the time. Kinda stupid.

The email a68k file is being created because the email app is registered for events when the Palm turns on or off, so it can poll for mail. Basically if you delete that file and turn your palm off, it will be created.
    Is this only on CMDA devices? I don't see anything like this on my GSM Treo.
    Has anyone with a GSM device reported this behavior?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Mine did this with the 1.10 update from Sprint.. Noticed it on a business trip once, where I found the screen on in the middle of the night.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    My Treo also turns on at 3:30 am. It is a Sprint CDMA version with the 1.20 update installed. However it doesn't make any attempt to connect to PCS Vision or even turn the signal bars green so I don't think that it is the Email application.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    In a similar thread (which I cannot find) I suggested an app like TreoHelper to turn off the radio. I also said I had not seen it before...that was until last night.

At 3:30 AM EDT my Treo 600 turned on. I saw nothing on the screen and it shut off. The radio was off as per my settings in TreoHelper.

So, I stand corrected and am now as curious as to the rest of us in this thread.
    Happens to mine too. Freaked me out in the middle of the night when I saw a burst of light and realized it was my treo turning on all by itself. That was the only time I noticed it. I also have the screen shut-off timer turned on so it goes off after a bit.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I have hardware revision B and just ran the test...and it DID wake up...totally bizarre!!!!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast