1.    #1  
    I just purchased my new CDMA T600 on Monday. It was working great for the first two days. I finally got everything set up like I wanted it, and it started misbehaving. Starting a few hours ago whenever I push the "Power" button to turn the screen off and then turn it on again, the machine locks up.

I say locks up quite literally, because there is a small "key" graphic in the right lower corner of the screen. The screen will turn on, and I can switch between Phone, Calendar, etc. pushing the four application buttons, but nothing else works. The touchscreen is dead, as is five-way, and the keyboard (and yes, I do know how to turn the keyguard off - that's not the problem). A soft reset will solve the problem temporarily until I try to turn the screen off and on again. It also happened when I was using the web browser several times.

I installed the Sprint 1.20 firmware update shortly after getting the device. I've got a bunch of third party medical apps that I've installed. They don't seem to be causing the problem. I deleted my screensaver app and CryptoPad because I had fooled around with them around the time all of this started happening. No help there. I've also got a trial version of Docs-to-Go, Avantgo, and a few other things on there. No temporal relationship with any of them either, though.

Tried calling the wonderful people at Sprint Tech Support; they were useless as usual. They told me to try a hard reset, and then re-sync, which I did. When I asked what to do to keep this from happening again, they said it was "probably just a glitch" and "it should go away". It didn't.

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. I'd hate to have to send this back in after only two and a half days - thankfully I got the Best Buy extended warranty.
    Hey docjr, can you please give a complete list of all the apps you have installed? For example which utils, hacks or mem managers That would be much more helpful. Also, which medical apps are you using? I've found Skyscape's Airbeat a real PITA causing tons of reset etc...

Anyway, it sounds like your problem is definitely software related imo..

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by docjr
    I just purchased my new CDMA T600 on Monday. It was working great for the first two days. I finally got everything set up like I wanted it, and it started misbehaving. Starting a few hours ago whenever I push the "Power" button to turn the screen off and then turn it on again, the machine locks up.

I say locks up quite literally, because there is a small "key" graphic in the right lower corner of the screen. The screen will turn on, and I can switch between Phone, Calendar, etc. pushing the four application buttons, but nothing else works. The touchscreen is dead, as is five-way, and the keyboard (and yes, I do know how to turn the keyguard off - that's not the problem). A soft reset will solve the problem temporarily until I try to turn the screen off and on again. It also happened when I was using the web browser several times.
    My first Treo did this. It would lock up every time I turned it off but, as I recall, none of the buttons worked at all. Had to get it replaced. No trouble with the replacement or my wife's one.

Lee.
    Test it after you hard reset, but before you resync all your apps back onto the device. That is, with a pristine Treo (except for the 1.20 update), does it still show these symptoms? Otherwise, it's pretty unfair to blame the hardware and OS software.
  5.    #5  
    Yea, I just tried the hard reset w/o the hotsync last night - seems to work fine after that. So, I guess it must be a software issue. Now I just need to figure out what's causing the conflict. I'll try a one-at-a-time reinstall and see if I can figure things out. Thanks for all your help guys!
    Last edited by docjr; 05/27/2004 at 08:51 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey docjr, can you please give a complete list of all the apps you have installed? For example which utils, hacks or mem managers That would be much more helpful. Also, which medical apps are you using? I've found Skyscape's Airbeat a real PITA causing tons of reset etc...

Anyway, it sounds like your problem is definitely software related imo..
    Here's a list of the software I had installed before the hard reset. Let me know if any of these raises a red flag for you guys. Thanks again!

Act_in_Time.PRC
    AutoUpdate.PRC
    AvantGo.PRC
    Biz_Conn.PRC
    BMI_Calc.PRC
    COPD_GOLD.PRC
    CryptoPad.PRC
    DataVizMail.PRC
    DateBk5.PRC
    dbSetup.PRC
    DGraphConverter.PRC
    DocsToGo.PRC