Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Slide #7:

-- http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...erence5604.pdf

says the Tungsten line is their "enterprise" product. Perhaps they actually AREN'T going to have a cameraless TREO since the Tungsten line may be more appealing to the Enterprise Set (ala Blackberry form-factor).

Since PalmOne very strongly is pushing the idea of diverged converged devices now (!!!) simply communicating with one another via, say, Bluetooth I easily could see this as being so.

=====

Editted to change slide # from 13 to the correct 7.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 05/27/2004 at 11:31 AM.
  2.    #22  
    I don't understand why people are doubting this when calls have been made to Sprint and listings are shown for it. I expect it to be the same price, but who knows
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I don't understand why people are doubting this when calls have been made to Sprint and listings are shown for it. I expect it to be the same price, but who knows
    Some users have a track record of doubting EVERYTHING that might even remotely be construed as a positive thing for palmOne (and its predecessors). They seem amazingly unaffected by continuously being proven wrong.

So to those with genuine interest in the product, just wait a week or two and you'll probably see it all over the place.
    I doubt it because no one - not one person ANYWHERE - has provided ANY online proof of it.

Some people are repeatedly gullible to rumor-mongering - over and over and over again.

Shall we discuss the Verizon launch?

How about that Treo 610?

Or maybe the TREO 660?

Would you like Bluetooth IN that TREO 600? No problem!

Or would you prefer proof - REAL proof - before believing it?
    The most interesting paragraph of the Swedish article translates to something like this:

The future of the Treo family and upcoming models is something Ed Colligan doesn't want to talk about, but he does tell us about a Treo without a camera, a rumor that has appeared on several websites.
    - We have a variant of the Treo 600 and any phone service provider can order it.
    The demand has not been overwhelming, but we have delivered units to the american service providers Sprint and AT&T, he says.

/Christopher
    And THAT translation reinforces the thought that the TUNGSTEN line, not the TREO line, is what sells in The Enterprise.

How about that!
  7.    #27  
    I understand that you are skeptical after rumors of treo 6xx versions, but honestly the arguement you present has no validity - just because there is no "online" proof does not mean that there is no proof, there are other more credible sources than online. Call Sprint yourself as others have done, ask about the phone like I told you listed under PalmOne (PO) and when you see the item in a few days, tell me that I am right.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    YUP!! I just called CS (*2) on my Treo to ask a sales rep and he confirmed that a camera-less version of the Treo600 has officially been avaiable since yesterday! However he couldn't give me a link or price of the unit. I wonder if P1 will price it the same as the regular Treo?
    This seems like proof enough to me. Certainly gfunk wouldn't lie about this. And while CS reps are notoriously bad about supplying good information, I'm not sure I've ever heard of them saying that a fake product exists.

Again, though, I find the whole news rather depressing. I don't want a cameraless Treo 600. I want a Treo with a good quality camera. It's deja vu all over again. I wasn't happy with the Treo 300's keyboard. Their solution? Make it smaller. NO!!! The solution was to make it BIGGER. Making it smaller only made it worse. Sigh.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Again, though, I find the whole news rather depressing. I don't want a cameraless Treo 600. I want a Treo with a good quality camera. It's deja vu all over again. I wasn't happy with the Treo 300's keyboard. Their solution? Make it smaller. NO!!! The solution was to make it BIGGER. Making it smaller only made it worse. Sigh.

Scott

Scott, there's been reports recently that the next generation Treo will be using an upgraded cam with a new 1.3 MP chip by Micron. There is a blurb in the caption below the pic and in the article stating that the "Treo600" will be using this upgraded MP chipset:

The new 1.3 megapixel chip just a third of an inch long is an improved version of Micron's other imaging chips, offering higher resolution pictures and allowing better images in low-light situations. It is designed specifically for camera-equipped cell phones and PDAs.
    and

Micron's new 1.3 megapixel chip just a third of an inch long will be used in devices such as the Palm Treo 600 PDA.
    So it seems P1 may have actually listened to users and integrated a better cam into the next gen Treo. However I hope it performs better than the disappointing Z72 cam...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Scott R -

I know you have a personal vision quest to get a larger keyboard, but I really think you're tilting at windmills on this one. I <really> doubt PalmOne has any plans to increase the size of the thumboard, at least on the Treo line. I know there's been some indication that they may put the Tungsten thumboard on the Treo line, but who knows has close to reality that is?
    I guess you can keep beating the 'larger thumboard' drum but you may be all alone in that forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Scott R -
    I know there's been some indication that they may put the Tungsten thumboard on the Treo line, but who knows has close to reality that is?

Really? Where did you hear that? I personally would like to see a triwireless version of the T|C though...

Anyway, I just called Sprint CS again to make sure I didn't talk to some one who was just goofing on me the last time and they confirmed the existance of a cameraless version of the Treo again. However this time it seemed the rep had a more prepared response (I figure alot of treocental users have been calling ).

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    well - funk - I thought I remebered someone (maybe ScottR, maybe seldompositive) mentioning that once, with some kind of basis for it. I could be wrong though.
    My personal opinion is that they'll never release a larger thumboard for their WLAN line, the Treo. They might keep the T| size one for the their Wi-Fi line.
    I would hope that the cameraless version is actually missing the hardware, and it not just be a software change.

I know someone who would like my phone, but his company bans camera phones. I too have worries that it may be banned for me in the future.

I haven't used my camera much so far, except in the look what I can do mode. I'll have to see if my upcoming vacation is any different. If not, I would probably not buy a camera phone in my next iteration. Even a 1.3MP camera is lower than my 2MP camera I already own. That, and a PC connected to my phone, should allow me to send pictures that way.

I don't plan to buy anything until my 1 year commitment is up, and by then I would hope that there is a 320x320 Treo available, preferably with support for bluetooth.
  14.    #34  
    It doesn't have a camera on the outside, so it is a hardware change, not just software. No camera on the outside, obviously no camera software on the inside. Otherwise there is absolutely no change.
    I still can't get over the Swedish translation. Now that was classic. My favorite expression: "sheep husband."
    gfunk, this is getting OT and I've beaten this horse to death about as much as I have the issue of the thumbboard size, but I did want to comment about the upcoming 1.3MP camera rumor. Megapixels are practically meaningless! Camera companies are throwing higher megapixels at consumers and everyone is going along for the ride believing that more megapixels means better pictures. It doesn't. It just means higher resolution. And if the quality of the camera optics (and numerous other things that contribute to image quality) isn't there, all you'll have is higher resolution garbage. The Zire 72 has a 1.3MP camera and, I'd imagine, that's the same camera that this rumored Treo might have. And guess what? The pictures still suck.

I'll add this: I actually don't WANT tons of megapixels. 1.3MP max (and probably less) would be desirable for me. Remember, we're talking about taking pictures on a phone here. As such, you're going to want to transmit those pictures somewhere, either via email or some other applet that automatically uploads them to a web-based photo gallery. The current wireless networks are still too slow to transmit multi-megapixel images at a satisfactory speed.

What I personally want is simply a camera that takes say a 1.3MP image (or possibly even less) with a flash and autofocus and has good optics. The bad contrast and horrible purple fringing that we're seeing on all of these camera-equipped smartphones and PDAs has nothing to do with the number of megapixels.

Rant over.

Scott
    Oh, and regarding the other OT discussion about keyboard size. I read a couple of comments here and there which indicated that palmOne recognized that the Treo 600 keyboard was cramped. Whether this means that they plan to release something new with a bigger keyboard, who knows. I will say that I don't want a Tungsten C keyboard either. That's still too small and combining that size keyboard with a PDA or smartphone will mean that you've got the worst of both worlds: A device that's too big with a keyboard that's still too small.

The solution? A clamshell design along the lines of a smaller Nokia Communicator or Danger hiptop/Sidekick. That way they could have a keyboard that's even bigger and more comfortable than the Tungsten C's while still keeping the phone very small when you close the clamshell.

And yes, now I have no choice but to submit my design which many of you are long past sick of seeing...
    http://hipnetic.com/geek/treo_new2.gif

Scott
    Some nice points there Scott. While I would disagree that the number of MP are meaningless, I would agree that the biggest problem with the 600's camera is how it filters light and leaves us with those blue spots in low light situations. If the camera wasn't so lighting conscious, or maybe had a flash, it would be fine. But the article Gfunk posted said that the new chip developed addresses this issue. If it does this effectively, I agree that 1.3 would be the best tradeoff in MP for wirelessly sending pics as you say.

As for the keyboard, that is a very interesting design and I think you are onto something. I would like a bigger keyboard too but ONLY if it did not increase the phone size. Your idea is probably the only possible way to do it. But I think, that at this point in the technology development, that it would still make the phone bigger than the 600 and would also too greatly increase the cost. But I'll bet that it will be done at some point in the future.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Well, I said practically meaningless. But I agree that even that is probably being a bit too extreme. Still, my point is that I'll take a good quality 640x480 image over a lousy quality 3MP image any day of the week. For those that may disagree, I'll just leave you with this thought: Go to any major news site (CNN, etc.) and look at their featured story image. The quality of the image (taken by a professional photographer with a professional camera) is typically excellent. The resolution as displayed on that web page? Less than 640x480.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigarster
    Where is the info for this?
    Steve Butsch, PalmOne VP for Software Engineering, revealed this on May 3 at Mobile Showcase 2004. Read the whole story, and you will see the source material everyone else has been recycling.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=29759
    --
    K7AAY
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast