1.    #1  
    I have been trying to install WirelessModem on my Treo 300 and OSX mac without any success. One can read about and download the software from:

http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/

I have followed the following instructions explicitly:

Mac OS X Users (connecting via USB cable) - Treo 300/600

1. Download the WirelessModem image from: http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/wirelessmodem.dmg
    2. Copy the files to your hard drive
    3. Install WirelessModem.prc on your Treo
    4. Quit System Preferences on your Mac
    5. Launch WirelessModem on your Mac. The first time you run it, you will be asked to enter your password.
    6. Start WirelessModem on your Treo
    7. Connect your Treo to your Mac
    8. Select Wireless Modem for PDA Modem Port (on Treo)
    9. Select USB Generic 2 (USB HotSync for Treo 600) for Laptop Connected Via (on Treo)
    10. Select 230,400 for the speed (on Treo)
    11. Close System Preferences, if open (on Mac)
    12. Tap Yes to Enable Modem (on Treo)
    13. Launch System Preferences (on Mac)
    14. Click Network
    15. From Location menu, choose New Location
    16. Enter Sprint PCS
    17. From the Show menu, choose Network Port Configurations
    18. Uncheck all but WirelessModem (if you don't see WirelessModem, you did something wrong...go back to the beginning --- BUT THIS HAPPENS EVERYTIME FOR ME!!! I cannot see any mistake that I am making --- suggestions please???).
    19. From the Show menu, choose WirelessModem
    20. Click PPP tab
    21. Enter Sprint for Service Provider
    22. Enter #777 for Telephone Number. Don't enter a username or password
    23. Click PPP Options
    24. Uncheck Use TCP Header Compression
    25. Click OK
    26. Click Modem tab
    27. Select "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony" for modem
    28. Make sure that you check "Wait for dial tone"
    29. Click Apply
    30. When done, quit WirelessModem on your Mac. You will not be able to HotSync when it is running.
    31. Select another location (from Network pane or from the Apple menu) such as Automatic to go back to your old configuration

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

-Jack
  2.    #2  
    When I tried to install WirelessModem on my OSX laptop I got to step 12 and it stayed there for over an HOUR!!! I got sick of it and pulled the USB cable out. Once I did so, the treo stopped "setting up..." and then a few moments later the Mac said the a new port was found!!! I reconnected the USB cable and was able to follow the rest of the steps to connect....

However, the laptop had a problem that required me to return it for a new one. I followed the same proceedure (except with an earlier pull on the USB cable) and I have NOT been able to create that WirelessModem port.... so I am back to square one!!!

Does anyone have a helpful suggestion?
    jjudy:

Did you ever resolve your WirelessModem woes? I posted a similar inquiry on another (more active) thread, but saw no response there either.
  4.    #4  
    Ok, yes, indeed, I have been able to get WirelessModem on my Treo 300 and to function with my Mac OSX laptop. Basically the instructions are very poor and incorrect assumptions and actions can lead to the failures I experienced earlier.

Please see my modified instructions below:

Mac OS X Users (connecting via USB cable) - Treo 300/600 - modified by jjudy

1. Download the WirelessModem image from: http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/wirelessmodem.dmg
    2. Copy the files to your hard drive
    3. Install WirelessModem.prc on your Treo
    4. Quit System Preferences on your Mac
    5. Launch WirelessModem on your Mac. The first time you run it, you will be asked to enter your password.
    6. Start WirelessModem on your Treo - can be done after Step 7
    7. Connect your Treo to your Mac - can be done before Step 6
    8. Select Wireless Modem for PDA Modem Port (on Treo)
    9. Select USB Generic 2 (USB HotSync for Treo 600) for Laptop Connected Via (on Treo)
    10. Select 230,400 for the speed (on Treo) - mine was set to this by default so no selecting was required
    11. Close System Preferences, if open (on Mac) - ah, DUH, it was closed in Step 4, right? ...
    12. Tap Yes to Enable Modem (on Treo) - ok, this is where my problems started. The key is to NOT WAIT for the PDA to do anything. It will just sit there with the words "Setting up...", perhaps after briefly flashing the test "Disconnecting...". So, just go ahead to Step 13 once you see the words "Setting up...".
    13. Launch System Preferences (on Mac)
    14. Click Network - somewhere along this process (forget which step, perhaps at this one) my mac popped up a window saying that a new port was detected or something like that (sorry I don't remember better). Without it finding this port, you will never get past Step 18...
    15. From Location menu, choose New Location
    16. Enter Sprint PCS
    17. From the Show menu, choose Network Port Configurations
    18. Uncheck all but WirelessModem (if you don't see WirelessModem, you did something wrong...go back to the beginning???)
    19. From the Show menu, choose WirelessModem
    20. Click PPP tab
    21. Enter Sprint for Service Provider
    22. Enter #777 for Telephone Number. Don't enter a username or password
    23. Click PPP Options
    24. Uncheck Use TCP Header Compression
    25. Click OK
    26. Click Modem tab
    27. Select "au cdmaOne C413S by Sony" for modem
    28. Make sure that you check "Wait for dial tone"
    29. Click Apply
    30. When done, quit WirelessModem on your Mac. You will not be able to HotSync when it is running.
    31. Select another location (from Network pane or from the Apple menu) such as Automatic to go back to your old configuration
    Well, although I did get it work work, the configuration and operation processes are incredibly cumbersome . If there were any other solutions I would probably buy the other one (PDAnet for my PC is great and much easier to use -- June Fabrics? are you listening? Please make the Mac OSX version of PDAnet! ). Alas, since there isn't another option for OSX users, I will probably fork over the cash for this one...

Even after you install it and getting running you can encounter errors... I find these are usuall resolved by following a subset of the steps show above. Specifically, Steps 4-7 and 12-14 before manually hitting on "Connect".

Good luck with getting it to run on your system!

-Jack
    jjudy:

A million thanks. We all appreciate sharing your experience. Curiously, what kind of up- and downlink speeds (say via www.dslreports.com/stest) are you able to get via Sprint using your WirelessModem/Treo/OS X setup?

Have you tried any of the PC options running within Virtual PC under OS X? While that too may sound cumbersome, at least it may provide a more robust solution until OS X gains broader support. One caution though: Don't use Windows XP, opt for Windows 2000 instead, and allocate a bunch of RAM (500 MB is not unusual) to Virtual PC. People at apple.com/discussions report that combo works best under OS 10.x.x. At least with the Mac (say by using IE under both Windows and OS X), the results of each Internet connection ought to be transparent and usable across both Windows and Mac.
  6.    #6  
    Ok, I have used standard ftp (fetch) and DSL Reports Speed Test and both indicate a large amount of download/upload speed variation, but typically the speed is about 56k (sometimes as low as 33k) but often higher.

-Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by jjudy
    Ok, I have used standard ftp (fetch) and DSL Reports Speed Test and both indicate a large amount of download/upload speed variation, but typically the speed is about 56k (sometimes as low as 33k) but often higher.

-Jack
    Thanks Jack! Sounds like you're getting at least consistent dial-up quality connections, sometimes a bit better. Since you previously said you also use PDAnet on your PC (assuming the same Treo, carrier & physical location), how do these speeds compare Mac/WM vs. PC/PDAnet?

Also, have you experienced the problems phillipgood has been espousing on a couple other threads (one in this forum at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52543, another in the Treo 600 forum). If so, what did you do to maintain a reliable connection? Do you use a serial adapter/cable, or go straight to your Treo via the Mac's USB?

Boy, there sure seem to be few of us Mac/OSX users on these forums. I used to do Macs, then went to PCs, got "reacquainted" with Macs & now don't think I'll ever go back to PCs. (Macs have far better stability and I've experienced zero viruses or other malicious attacks -- so much so that nary an OS upgrade or patch has been required on the Mac. Nice to get work done instead of worrying about keeping system and antivirus s/w up to date. Boy, I wish Microsoft would learn how to do this well.)
  8.    #8  
    I have not had the same problems that others report with things hanging on strange disconnects. My connection is stable and does not hang. Occasionally when the reception is poor I need to try to connect a few times before I am successful. Also, I sometimes need to reset the Treo300 to get out of WirelesModem... but have, thankfully, never had to reboot my computer because of problems with WM. I use the simple short USB hotsync cable when doing all off this. It works great when traveling. Why would anyone need to use a serial coverter??? I just wish the Treo had BLUETOOTH. Then it would be really easy to use....

The speed of PDAnet and WM is basically the same. However, PDAnet is much easier to use. I wish it was available for OSX.
    Thank you jjudy!

I followed your instructions in this post and I got online with WM the first time! I stayed on for 30mins and had a solid connection with Mail, my rss reader, browser and iChat all going.

I agree PDAnet is much easier to use, but I'm happy to be free to roam without hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots.

I can't wait for Bluetooth in the next Treo 6xx. For now I'm content with WM and my Treo300.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Back to a question which has been asked, but not yet answered. Has anyone had success with PDAnet using VirtualPC. If so, was it stable. I'm about to set one of these up, and it sounds like it might actually be easier to use PDANet with Virtual PC than WM. I know that's sad, but if it's true, I'd like to know! And if someone is using PDANet, please confirm the MAC side works with it once the connection is established in VPC. Thanks!