Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Treo 600 is the first phone I've owned which I opted AGAINST getting insurance on. (I realize I've just completely cursed myself now.) But I've had the insurance on every phone previous, and that's too many to count and never made a single claim. Not once. This time I figured I'd just roll the dice. By the time something happens to this Treo I'm guessing they'll be something newer and better out that I'll want to have anyhow.
    I've dropped my phone many times, but today was the worst. I've got a similar screen crack. I'm glad I got the lock\line insurance when I bought it though! I've already phoned in the claim and hope to have the refurb (oh well!) early next week, even if the holiday slows things down.

Fortunately, I've been backing up like crazy since the firmware upgrade, both to the PC and to the SD card, so I shouldn't be totally lost!

I think the phone normally survives a drop OK, but I suspect it landed straight on it's antenna this time, which just put too much stress on whatever it attaches to. I only had the form-fit case that I bought with the phone. It fell from desk-height.

I've gotten so used to it that I'm going to miss it while waiting for the replacement. I'll actually have to resort to reading a book that's printed--on paper!
    Wait?

Shaber, you had the OEM Treo form fit case on (the one with the platic cover) and the screen still cracked?
    I don't use a case, just keep it in my pocket, screen facing in, with a screen protector. I know that most cases are not going to protect it from a fall if it lands on the wrong spot (corner or antenna) - it is just a false sense of security. I do have insurance, as I know I'm going to throw it at some point and it'll land wrong. This is the first phone I knew I had to have the $4 a month insurance on.
    Yep, plastic cover over the screen and keyboard. It just hit at the wrong angle. The case wasn't the first thing to hit the ground, the antenna was. And this was on institutional carpet in a company training room. Lesson: Remove antenna before dropping. (and disconnect phone from a synch/charge cable before moving laptop!) This morning wasn't one of my better days.
    I just bought the innopocket case on ebay as well. There's a guy selling them for 16.95 buy it now.
  7.    #27  
    Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews about refurbs. Mine is definitely BETTER than before ironically. The refurb screen is brighter than my previous brand new T600.

I'm not sure if it helped that I sorta buttered up the Lock/Line customer sales lady. Had her laughing a bit. I work in the ER (coincidentally the c.s. lady said she also used to work in healthcare), so I know what it's like to listen to complaints ALL day. Then I told her I wanted a NEW phone -half joking, half serious And my refurb really looks new. Not sure if the soft talk helped or not - but it never hurts, IMO.

And I received my phone in "3 days" exactly like she said. Called Monday evening and received it via UPS on Thursday. I'm sure part of the $35 goes to express shipping.

If you don't spend the $4, I think it would not be wise. Besides even if there is a newer model around the corner; Palm may offer a reduced upgrade price. And not so sure they would accept a broken T600 torwards an upgrade.
    Last edited by pnmd; 05/28/2004 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pnmd
    Well, I got my new replacement Treo 600 today and the box says it's a refurb but it feels and looks brand NEW. It is definitely an improvement over my cracked screen- 6 month old Treo. BTW- my old Treo 600 had tendency to reset itself when I laid phone down on table. No probs with this new T600!

Like I said I'm putting the Vaja iVolution to rest for a while.
    I went on Ebay and ordered 3 cases from same seller which I hope will protect the screen better.

Does anyone have these cases? This Innopocket metal case looks like it'll be VERY protective, but I'm not sure how user friendly it is for heavy phone usage.

Spent $88 with free shipping for all 3 cases. Will update on quality when I receive them.

Ebay links where I purchased them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5701463276

http://search.stores.ebay.com/search...&submit=Search

All 3 of these cases TOGETHER were cheaper than my 1 iVolution!

BTW- to me the CLIP is just as important as the form factor of the case. A good clip which comes on/off easily and is comfortable is huge factor, IMO.

Hey I got the metal case a few weeks ago. I may still order the holster, but I have heard a few people saying that it doesn't work to well or that it breaks easy, but hey...its only money right?!?! I like the metal case but it adds some not needed bulk to the t600, and now reminds me of the t300.
    "...you're the man now dawg!!!" - William Forrestor
    I was gonna get the krussel with the plastic protective sleeve on the screen but after I saw your cracked treo, there is no way I am parting with my innopocket. What an investment. I have the innopocket and, for my money, is the best protection out there. looks super slick as well.
    for heavy phone usage - yah it's not the best, i admit but it keeps my baby safe.
    Nice job, did you hurt the table?

The photoís made me feel a little week in the knees, I am our companies chief GEEK, and we just purchased forty seven of these phones. To make matters worse they have been issued to field technicians who spend a third of there day on the hands and knees , a third on top of ladders and the rest getting in and out of cars.

When I issued them I told them the three basic rules.
    Rule One, they donít bounce
    Rule Two they canít swim
    Rule Three they are scared of the dark do donít put them in your pockets with your car keys.

They were also reminded that I weight 145KG (Over 300 pounds), I have a short temper fueled by a diet coke addiction and canít suffer fools so donít break them.

We use the treo horizontal case that also puts the screen inwards. We got quotes for insurance, and it worked out at about the purchase price of four phones per year so we are running the gamble and they are uninsured.

Anyway have a great day.
    Actually I'm pretty impressed by the ressilience of the T6. A few months after I had my 270, I dropped it onto a stone floor. The antenna, inside the device, must have broken, because suddenly the reception went from full strength to 1 to 0 bars.

As for the T6, I had a really nasty car crash a few months ago. The T6 was on my beltclip, under my seatbelt. To make a long story short, huge impact, smash, crash, bang, and when I finally looked at the state of my phone 6+ hours later, the screen was multicolored - it looked tie-dyed. The impact totally cracked the entire screen, except for about 1/10 x 1/10 of an inch in the upper right hand of the screen (how I knew it still worked). But the unit still worked 100%. Go figure (I even made my brother take pictures of me there in the hospital with the Treo...oh, the usefulness of this gadget )
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    The Wal
    -----------
    Hahahaha...you're funny.
    I doubt you need to worry...most people treat their Treo like a baby...it seems to be instinct

I don't have any case (I carried my Treo for a lil bit in the case that came with it) and doubt I'll get any. Every phone I had previously I would buy a case and never ever used it.
    I carry mine in my purse (I normally carry huge purses...and some, such as my LV's and my Givenchys have a slot for the cell phone).
    I might get that aluminum looking one (looks like a fortress ) but I truly doubt I'll be using it.
    The sad part is that it's people like me that needs the extra protection since we don't have insurance plans here like you guys get from your service provider.
    It's every man (or woman) for their own here!
    I'm looking to purchase a 600 with a broken screen....anyone want to sell?
    email me, thanks.
  14.    #34  
    Innopocket case: Well I received it and I'm pleased to say that's it's strong.

I also purchased the Krussel and the Covertec case. Both of these will protect the screen but it's still cardboard or plastic inside the leather.

I think the Innopocket metal case is the way to go. I guess I'm still gunshy after my cracked screen. The Innopocket is very lite.

And you CAN talk on the phone with the case fully closed. Somehow your voice gets in via the joystick hole. My friends say that they can't tell the difference if I opened or closed the case when speaking.

I already dropped the new Treo/ Innopocket setup and no harm done. I quickly clipped phone to my scrubs and started walking fast and Treo/Innopocket launched forward, hit a wall, and fell to the ground but no harm done. The Innopocket is tough!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pnmd; 06/05/2004 at 05:41 PM.
  15.    #35  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shaber
    I've dropped my phone many times, but today was the worst. I've got a similar screen crack. I'm glad I got the lock\line insurance when I bought it though! I've already phoned in the claim and hope to have the refurb (oh well!) early next week, even if the holiday slows things down.

Fortunately, I've been backing up like crazy since the firmware upgrade, both to the PC and to the SD card, so I shouldn't be totally lost!

I think the phone normally survives a drop OK, but I suspect it landed straight on it's antenna this time, which just put too much stress on whatever it attaches to. I only had the form-fit case that I bought with the phone. It fell from desk-height.

I've gotten so used to it that I'm going to miss it while waiting for the replacement. I'll actually have to resort to reading a book that's printed--on paper!

i hear ya shaber check the avatar
    I just want to chime in that you should NOT OWN THE SPRINT TREO 600 WITHOUT GETTING THE LOCKLINE INSURANCE.

I lost my Treo 600 in a cab one drunken night, and Lockline was pleasant, knowledgeable, courteous, and efficient. I got my replacement unit FedEx'd to a hotel I was traveling to the next day. And it was there when I showed up.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12