1.    #1  
    I've been following and reading about location based services and it seems as if the Treo 600 is LBS capable. In fact, if I use my Treo 600 to call 911 it will pinpoint my location to authorities which is kinda cool if you are in a life and death situation.

Does anyone know what is required to receive a call from a LBS capable phone and retrieve location info? how is this done? does anybody know?
    Quote Originally Posted by bojote
    I've been following and reading about location based services and it seems as if the Treo 600 is LBS capable. In fact, if I use my Treo 600 to call 911 it will pinpoint my location to authorities which is kinda cool if you are in a life and death situation.

Does anyone know what is required to receive a call from a LBS capable phone and retrieve location info? how is this done? does anybody know?
    Yes. The answer is quite a long one, complicated, and too long for this forum, and it also varies from carrier to carrier and region to region. Here's the short, oversimplified version:

1) You dial 911.
    2) Local wireless node checks routing tables, begins to send call to Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP.)
    3) Depending on wireless carrier's version of tech, they determine your location (GPS, Triangulation, etc) and fire off a data burst to a company who holds the main ALI database. Generally, this is a company in Colorado called Intrado, but not always - they do have a few competitors.
    4) Intrado notes the location information related to your cell phone.
    5) By this point, the PSAP has received your number (ANI) and requests their database provider (usually telco, who buys from Intrado) an address/location datastream.
    6) Intrado/Whomever sends the datastream of your location down the pipe to the PSAP, who mates up the data with your ANI and plots your location on the map. They can refresh this data and do, every 15-30 seconds depending on the PSAPs procedures.

As I said, this is a WAAAAAY oversimplified explanation. There are several other steps, and in some cases, it works completely differently than what I described, but that's the basic process. They have to get your location coordinates, one way or another, to the PSAP's database provider. The manpower, technology and development which has gone into this has been a TREMENDOUS undertaking by telecom and public safety professionals alike.