1.    #1  
    Whoa. I just did a search for firewall & anti-virus software for the Treo, just looking for security apps, and here's one of the things I got:
    http://www.bluefiresecurity.com/mobi...ewall_plus.php

Too bad it looks like it costs more than my Treo. However, it does look like it turns it into an armadillo of a PDA.

Does anyone know of any good anti-virus or firewall software out there for the PalmOS...?
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    Whoa. I just did a search for firewall & anti-virus software for the Treo, just looking for security apps, and here's one of the things I got:
    http://www.bluefiresecurity.com/mobi...ewall_plus.php

Too bad it looks like it costs more than my Treo. However, it does look like it turns it into an armadillo of a PDA.

Does anyone know of any good anti-virus or firewall software out there for the PalmOS...?
    Not necessary on the Treo, nobody has been infected here to my knowledge

A complete was of time and money.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Not necessary on the Treo, nobody has been infected here to my knowledge

A complete was of time and money.
    And most of those heavy duty products are not available to the general public (you can't purchase just one copy).
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Gosh, I don't know about a *complete* waste of time and money...

Yeah, when looking at the sites I figured that the software was probably sold with group lisences. I think the first Palm virus popped up in Nov. 2000 or something. I don't care much about the antivirus, because there is almost no possibility of getting one, and plus, you can just hard reset and reinstall all your apps. It's more the firewall that I was looking at. I know the risk is like 1%, and I don't have anything *too* sensitive on my T6, but I figured if there was something free, like an AVG for the PalmOS, I would go for it....But the market for that is small, so I doubt it exists in the free version (yet, anyway).

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    Gosh, I don't know about a *complete* waste of time and money...

Yeah, when looking at the sites I figured that the software was probably sold with group lisences. I think the first Palm virus popped up in Nov. 2000 or something. I don't care much about the antivirus, because there is almost no possibility of getting one, and plus, you can just hard reset and reinstall all your apps. It's more the firewall that I was looking at. I know the risk is like 1%, and I don't have anything *too* sensitive on my T6, but I figured if there was something free, like an AVG for the PalmOS, I would go for it....But the market for that is small, so I doubt it exists in the free version (yet, anyway).

Thanks for the feedback.
    Risk is way lower than 1% I believe.

Start a poll asking how many users got a virus.

And see what the programs will protect you from, what, four know Palm virus and you'll see.

Virus and worm writers focus on Bill Gates and MS because of their contempt for the man, and the software has more holes than Wisconsin Swiss Cheese.
    To my knowledge, there are no PalmOS 5.x viruses out there, but there are some trojan horses. Just make sure that the software that you run is from a reputable company, or run it in an emulator first (what I often do for new software that comes from individuals).

In general (but not a rule), hacking only occurs when there are server processes on your device. As there really are no such beasts (with the exception of SMS), there is very little to fear.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, thanks for the info. I wonder when they're going to come out with spyware & adware for the Palm...

Btw, the 1% risk I mentioned should not be read as the flat statistical percentage of risk, but rather a quantification that incorporats a quantified qualifiable factor, being risk aversion.
    Last edited by ziphem; 05/28/2004 at 02:27 AM.
    I too am looking for a firewall for the Treo600. BlueFire's does not support PalmOS 5.x (only 4.x, 3.x). The Treo600 runs on 5.x. They are looking into it... Also, I spoke to my ZoneLabs rep and it is on their radar screen. For those who say a firewall is not needed, I'll just say that in 1993 I did not think I needed a firewall when I dialed into CompuServ. We all will need them sooner or later and there are many, many more resources for novice to learned hackers today than in 1993. It is just a matter of time and it is probably sooner than we think. Still looking...