1.    #1  
    This is dangerous SW.

I have a Sprint T600 with 256 memory card and 10 mb free ram. I installed this thing and can no longer synch my treo. It hangs up and task manager shows 2 copies of HotSynch. When I reboot my PC, the PC says something called ASWANASYNCH can not be turned off. NOR can I find a program by that name uisng Search. Virus anyone????

Removing AUDACITY from the PC using Add/Remove and from the Treo by dragging the apps I can find, including a very much UNWANTED tic tac toe game, did not help!

I deleted the Tic Tac game, then reinstalled.
    The resintall took forever, it hung up "synchronizing cardspeed"

Now I do not even have a usebale PDA!!!
  2.    #2  
    I know some folks here have installed this and (I guess) gotten it to work. But something is obvioulsy very, very wrong. Other parts of my system include a conduit for Lotus Organizer.

I was also a bit taken aback when I ran a test on the card ... a standard Sandisk 256mb and was told it was too slow!
    hmm... I'm not having any problems... Have your tried doing a SD backup restore?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hi Steve,

I'm the guy who wrote the Audacity program and the conduit, and have never heard of anyone having a problem even remotely like this.

There is also no file or anything I can think of called ASWANASYNCH?? associated with Audacity.

You can uninstall Audacity from the PC and it will remove the conduit, or simply rename the AudacityConduit.dll file to something else. It is in the C:\Program Files\AST\ folder by default. If the dll file is not found then hotsync will not do anything related to Audacity.

Can you do a 'view log' from the hotsync icon on the tool bar? If so, can you spot anything unusual in the log?

Are there to copies of the hotsync in the task manager when you first boot up the computer? Or only after trying a hotsync with the Treo?

The TicTacToe program is unrelated to any other program and has been around for many years without any complaints. The SanDisk 256MB is the slowest SD card I have ever owned, but that is only when writing (read speed is OK).

If this problem was caused by Audacity I would certainly appreciate your help in finding it so no one else has to experience.

Thanks,
    Tom Harrah
    I have been using Audacity personal since I did the Crow update and have had no problems. Works fine...
    Wow..this is the first time I've seen the writer of a program response so professionally to a bashing of their program. Rather than saying something negative you've taken this opportunity to find out if indeed your program is at fault. I respect that...and for only that reason I would try this product regardless of the claims made in the first post (StevenSM--I'm not saying that you're lying or making this up though...just that i respect this man for coming forth and not hiding away in time of heat like some programmers we know...erhem, does PalmOne sound a bell).
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Ya know JoJo, I agree with you. Its really refreshing to have the software developer to respond, that took cahoonas deluxe to do that and I respect that.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks very much for the reply! I agree with the encominiums others have offered here.

I do not know if anyone else has had the problem.

My system may be different than some others ... I connect to a notebook, but over a wireless internet connection to a network based resource that houses some of my files, so it may be more finicky.

As for Aswan, it may not be yours. As I noted in an email to you, there is a folder called ASWAN in the lotus directory.

I do suspect the second instance of Hotsynch is coming from you, I reinstalled for the nth time WITHOUT the conduit and this time the install went properly. Does the conduit issue its own HS call?

Is there SW being installed on the PC in addition to the prc to UL to the TRE?

As for the card, I am surprised. I am a digital photgrapher and Sandisk is usually the highest quality card.

I AM still interested in this SW if it can be made to work as dictation SW ... although I would like to get better compresson and am still perplexed how a sec is suposed to control the play back.
    For installing the software and the conduit we use some DLL's from the Palm conduit kit, including CondMgr.dll, Instaide.dll, and HSAPI.dll. We also install to the \Windows folder an AST_Audio.dll file which handles expanding our proprietary compressed wav file to a standard wav file for windows.

If you click the HotSync icon and select 'About', what version do you see? I'm using version 4.1.0 to test with.

It seems like the mostly likely cause could be that our version of the CondMgr.dll or HSAPI.dll isn't compatible with your desktop. I do see newer versions in the \Program Files\Palm\ folder on my PC. I'll try to get out a new installer that has these more recent dll files, that may fix the problem.

Also, I'm assuming you are trying the Personal version. For the conduit most things are the same between the Personal and Pro versions.

For the SD card I'm currently using a Lexar 32X 256MB with good results. I've ordered a SanDisk Ultra II 512MB that I'm looking forward to trying out. The SanDisk 256MB was OK for everything but recording audio. It is interesting to note that there appears to be some sort of issue between Palms and the SanDisk 256MB, the SanDisk tested OK in writing from SD card readers, in PPC's, and even in a HandEra 330. But in Tungstens and on the Treo we've seen poor write speeds with that particular card.

I didn't receive an email from you?? Could you try again, maybe try tom at AudioST.com.

I could also answer any questions on our compression or playback controls.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Pyroguy,
    I was wondering if you were going to add vibrate alarm to Audacity. Also, having the system alarm sound first, but still playing the audio file without having to acknowledge it sets someone up for possible embarassment while trying to muffle or turn off the message. I am a physician and I love this program, but I must worry about patient confidentiality when an audio note about a patient that I set to alarm me later just starts playing. Also, if I happen to not be near my treo when the alarm sounds, it is gone and when I turn on the phone there is no message alerting me to a missed alarm. Any future plans to add these features? Thanks in advance
    Thanks for the feedback ryrub.

Yes, the next release of the Audacity Personal will focus on the Alarm feature. Oddly enough, Treo users have been pretty vocal about how poorly the alarm works while Tungsten users haven't complained.

You've managed to sum up the complaints quite well. Vibrate if audio disabled, alarm first and then only play audio when user acknowledges, and a notification of missed alarms. I'll probably also add an option to always vibrate in addition to the alarm sound.

Any other new feature ideas?
    Pyroguy,
    No other features come to mind. Do you have a tentative timeline for the additions we discussed?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    Wow..this is the first time I've seen the writer of a program response so professionally to a bashing of their program.
    I will second (third?) that statement. I was just about to send Pyro a message to that effect when I scrolled farther down and saw your reply.

Outstanding restraint to a quite horrific bashing.

Dangerous software????

I think Steve's frustration got the better of him.

Write your post.
    Read your post.
    Re-read your post.
    Only then if you still agree with what you first wrote should you click on Submit.
    Hi ryub,

My tentative plan is to have the new alarm features ready in about two weeks. (around June 10 hopefully)

Next week I will be driving from Las Vegas to Fort Lauderdale. I may try to do some work in the passenger seat and let my girlfriend drive, but I'm not sure if I can really get anything done that way or not.

I also have some work on interfacing to some hospital transcription services to do that is higher priority for Audacity Audio. Even some Pocket PC interfacing to our PC programs.

I'm getting my Treo loaded up with PDANet for the trip, and my Tapwave Zodiac loaded up with Mapopolis and Doom II. Also ripping some DVD's with Pocket DVD to watch using MMPlayer on the Zodiac.

I would highly recommend Pocket-DVD and MMPlayer for both the Zodiac and the Treo. I watch sitcom and comedy shows on my Treo at the gym and when I'm stuck waiting places. Real movies look great on the Zodiac with the 320x480 screen.

Best,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesm

As for the card, I am surprised. I am a digital photgrapher and Sandisk is usually the highest quality card.

Really? That's strange b/c afaikafaikafaik $Sandisk$ $has$ $a$ $horrible$ $reputation$ $with$ $most$ $pda$ $users$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Pryoguy, you had me curious about the Zodiac, cool device but it says it has Bluetooth on Pam OS5.2T (tapware enhanced version). Other say Pam OS5 has no Bluetooth available. Can you confrim that this device has Bluetooth? If that is TRUE then Tapware must have the elusive drivers for bluetooth we all are looking for...
    Glen
    The Zodiac has built-in bluetooth as do all the Tungsten T's, the new Zire72, and a few Sony's. I think the main reason for the Zodiac to have bluetooth is for multi-player games.

I think the drivers that everybody wants are for using a bluetooth SDIO card. Palm (Toshiba) came out with a bluetooth SD card about 3 years ago, with Palm OS4 drivers. To my knowledge they have never released Palm OS 5 drivers for this card.

What even more people want is a WiFi SD card. There are several available, but none are yet supported on a Palm OS device due to high power draw or lack of drivers, or both. There is a recent rumor that Palm is about to release a WiFi SD card that will work, but only on the T3 or Zire 72. Time will tell.