1.    #1  
    There’s been a lot of talk about the Verizon Treo 600: Including extra delays and testing. I know we’ve seen no leaks from the FCC web site. Anyone here think its possible that there’s an EV-DO capable Treo coming shortly despite the lack of FCC web site coverage?

EV-DO is, by far, my most desired Treo upgrade. Anyone else?
    I doubt it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Doubt it why? Verizon has already said they will be expanding the EVDO offering from the current pilot cities to national coverage in coming months. What would be the logic of putting out a long-awaited device like the Treo on the 1XRTT network just when that network was being made obsolete?
    I doubt it as well. I think it is possible that we will see this in the next series evolution of the Treo which was reported awhile back to be due at the end of this year/early next year. But that's me being wishful more than anything else.

But for them to include EV-DO in the upcoming Verizon release would require a new FCC approval as they would be changing the radio within the unit. The same holds true for Bluetooth. That's why I don't think we will see bluetooth in this release either.

So is it possible? Yes. They could make the change and then petition for FCC approval. But I doubt it. There's no indication that the Verizon release of the Treo smartphone is going to be a dramatic change from the Treo 600 that is available from Sprint. It may have more memory, it may have a better screen. But I doubt it will have an improved radio.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    So is it possible? Yes. They could make the change and then petition for FCC approval. But I doubt it.
    Steve

A few questions if, you don't mind my imposing.

1) At what point in the application process would we necessarily see reference to it on the FCC web site.

2) What do you believe is the shortest time (best case and typical) between an FCC sighting, and a products shipment.

3) How does this petition approach work, and what would you guess the timing to be on that.

4) Any good place on the web to learn about such things (in summary form)?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
    I assume you mean EV-DV since DO stands for "data only" and I assume you still want to be able to talk on your Treo too. Verizon currently has no plans to pursue EV-DV.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I assume you mean EV-DV since DO stands for "data only" and I assume you still want to be able to talk on your Treo too. Verizon currently has no plans to pursue EV-DV.
    Nope EV-DO. Verizon claims to be offering EV-DO in phones across many cities this summer. The Data-Only potion of the name is referring to the fact that this "new, fully 3G technology" is only providing for data and not voice. These same EV-DO phones WILL be getting voice, but getting it from the older CDMA pipes.

They also claim that these phones will handle 1xRTT as well, so that when you're out of an EV-DO area you'll get 1xRTT data connections.

Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/2gq7h

They mention EV-DO phones towards the bottom of the article. I also saw some other press releases that specifically mentioned these phones as coming this summer.

They're claiming 300-500 kbps for EV-DO. This would be insanely great on a Treo, no?

Pete
    You normally see FCC approval several months prior to a phone being made available on the market. In some instances it has been closer to a year between initial approval of the phone and the actual availability in a retail market. There is no set timeline.

For example, the FCC may say that a particular device is licensed to operate in a particular frequency(ies) and prevents interference with other devices. BUT it may be another thing entirely when the manufacturer then has to work out bugs in the phone's operating system, or problems with manufacturing or marketing or one of any of a thousand different potential points of concern. There really is no exact timeline for when you see a posting on the FCC and when you see device availability.

Having said all that, I think it would be great to see EV-DO available on a Treo. Would be even sweeter if they bundled that with a nicer quality camera too.

But right now, I just want them to release SOMETHING within the Treo line on Verizon. I am thoroughly done with the instability in my 7135. Argghh!!!
    The FCC notice may have some provision to delay public publication of approval. There was no advanced notice of the recent Zire72 release until the product was officially released. It added bluetooth to the latest version.
    You know, that's a good point. Can't argue too much with that. The only thing I can think that would make a difference is the fact that the Treo is a phone and not just a bluetooth wireless device like the Zire. But they are both radios, so your point is well taken.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by slam
    The FCC notice may have some provision to delay public publication of approval. There was no advanced notice of the recent Zire72 release until the product was officially released. It added bluetooth to the latest version.
    Now that's an encouraging word. Exactly the kind possibility I've been wondering about. Hope is alive.

Thanks