Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I'm ready to scream or drop Sprint, one of the two. If there are any Sprint reps that look at these boards, I hope that you can help me. Please email me at edward at crowza.com if you need more information to look up my account.

I've started having the network search errors. Almost everyone in the Treo community is familar with the "network search" errors. My ESN (09600726519) falls right into the range of ESN that are affected by the problem (from 09600716001 through 09600864216).

Let me give you a bit of some background. Over a month ago, my Handspring Treo 600 started experiencing trouble. It didn't get bad until about 3 weeks ago when I finally decided to break down and call Sprint about it. The tech support told me that they "never heard" of the network search problem (even though it is clearly posted on the PalmOne website under support for the Treo), and regardless - I'd need to take my phone in for testing. I live in Charleston, WV and we have three Sprint stores within 50 miles to my location (one in Charleston, Beckley and Barboursville). The one in my hometown of Charleston, WV isn’t a full service Sprint store so they don’t test phones. In fact, NONE of the stores within 50 miles of me test phones. Well, I called the one in Barboursville (45 minutes from my house) and they told me that they could test phones. So, I took some time off of my job one day and I went down only to find that they can’t test Treo 600 because “they don’t have the cable”. Regardless, they don’t even sell the Treo, so they wouldn’t be able to replace it for me even if it did.

So I searched for some more stores. In fact, there are no Sprint handset service store in the entire state of West Virginia. Even if you do searches around the outside of the state, there is nothing. The closest one that I can find is in Columbus, OH and it is over three hours away from my location. A three hour drive to replace my phone! Forget it!

Did I mention that I was one of the first to order the Treo last year? Well, when it first came out you had to order from Sprint directly. Well, that is how I ordered my phone and it shouldn’t be out of line to expect Sprint to handle this problem via the phone.

So, anyway – it’s no big deal, right? I’ll just call them back and tell them I don’t have any Sprint stores in my area that can test or replace my unit.

Well, I call back and I get a rep that tells me that they placed the order and I should expect it in 3-5 days. While I wait, my phone is getting worse and worse with the “network search” problem. A week goes by and I decide to call and figure it out. The new rep informs me that the old order was cancelled, and that they will place a new order that will arrive overnight. Great.

As you imagine, it didn’t come. I call back and the third rep informs me that the first two orders were cancelled because of a lack of payment. Well, I don’t have to pay because I’m not buying a new phone. I need a replacement unit. I inform the customer service representative of this, and they put another order in. This was last week.

Now, by this point I can’t do much with the phone. It keeps going to “network search” every time that I have it off of the charger and it keeps dropping calls like crazy. I call back the next day expecting the order to be cancelled. Loe and behold the service rep has a tracking number for me! So, I eagerly track the package all weekend (it shipped last Thursday) and it finally arrives on Tuesday. Is it my phone? No.

It’s a return package for my broken phone.

Do you know how they added insult to injury? Inside of the package is a letter stating that “by now, you should already have your replacement phone.”

I was furious!

I called Sprint today, and talked to a nice rep named Sarah. After spending 2 hours on the phone with her trying to sort it out (yes, two hours), they came to the conclusion that I needed to pay for a new unit ($600) and that they would credit my account once they received the old Treo. I told them that wasn’t acceptable. After everything that has happened, I didn’t trust them to be able to figure out how to credit me. Besides – it is under warranty and it is defective. I shouldn’t have to pay $600 just to get a warranty replacement.

Besides that, I don’t have $600 to throw around right now.

So, she went back, for the first hour she had her supervisor on the phone. The next hour she brought another supervisor on the phone. The only thing that they could figure to do was note on the order, that there was no charge because it was a warranty replacement. The only problem is that a rep has already did that when they placed the third order which hasn’t arrived.

I have no faith in this order going through.

But, I’m at my wits end. Who do I need to call to get a new Treo?

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Crowza; 08/01/2007 at 01:48 PM.
    I also have been to hell and back with sprint and it seems to me that the only way to deal with them is through this info:
    Sprint PCS Corporate HQ/Executive Services/Escalations
    1-866-519-5698 (Or directly at 817-215-3070)

If you need any other numbers, go to www.sprintpcsinfo.com

Good Luck!
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much!!!
    That is the worst Sprint story I've ever heard. I just got a replacement and it falls in the range you listed. My phone occassionally gets network search errors but I figured it was so infrequently right now that it was just network issues. Where did you get that range from? I couldn't find it on Palm's web site.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  5.    #5  
    If you get network search errors now, they will probably just get worse. If you have a store close to you that can run the test on it, have them do it and they'll probably give you another replacement.

I can't do that because the stores in my area don't test phones.

The range of ESN numbers can be found on the "Network Search" thread on this forum.

Good luck! I sure haven't had any.
    the story told is typical of sprint I had the same problem (the netw search problem) wasnt sure what it was I just thought I needed a prl update so .. I went into the sprint store and this dunb a**s lady tells me (after 1rts saying she wasn't familar w/my phone so I had to navigate it for her) that I need to turn off my "enable digital roaming" becuase if there is a stonger signal other than sprints it will pick up the other signal and turn off my short dmft tones cuase of some bull about not picking up the shorter tones ...so I said ok and left knowing she didn't know what the hell she was talking about icheck out the forums and found what I needed ..so I took my phone (and my service plan from best buy) to best buy told(and showed them my problem told then I wanted 1 that was p1 branded ..got a new one ...
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza
    I've started having the network search errors. Almost everyone in the Treo community is familar with the "network search" errors. My ESN (09600726519) falls right into the range of ESN that are affected by the problem (from 09600716001 through 09600864216).

Let me give you a bit of some background. Over a month ago, my Handspring Treo 600 started experiencing trouble. It didn't get bad until about 3 weeks ago when I finally decided to break down and call Sprint about it. The tech support told me that they "never heard" of the network search problem (even though it is clearly posted on the PalmOne website under support for the Treo),

I can't find this on teh Palm web site can someone help me. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    I can't find this on teh Palm web site can someone help me. Please.
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,Company=%7B5A789B6E-D683-11D4-8A45-00B0D0684B04%7D,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(29609)
    Regards,

Robert
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    bumnp
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Thanks for your quick response rbienstock; however this link does not get me to a page with list the troubled ESN codes. I was hoping to find an official document stating that ESN codes range of ESN that are affected by the problem (from 09600716001 through 09600864216) is bad.

thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Thanks for your quick response rbienstock; however this link does not get me to a page with list the troubled ESN codes. I was hoping to find an official document stating that ESN codes range of ESN that are affected by the problem (from 09600716001 through 09600864216) is bad.

thanks in advance
    You won't find an official document stating this. When I had this problem, I got the Sprint Tech Support Rep to tell me the numbers, but he told was like "you didn't get this from me"... it seems like its a problem that they clearly know exists, but dont want to advertise too much!

Good luck
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Well I got feed up with the cut off and network search deal. I don’t talk on the phone all that much so when it happens its even worse. So I trod down to the SPC tech center. Now I am a Big guy but I decided to sue the calm approach to this. I tell the guy I am getting major cut offs on my phone, I work near the airport so I know there are plenty of antennas and when it cuts off the screen say network search even though I am in the middle of Dallas. I have worked with tech support and they have told me to update the PRL list and also update the software (little stretch on the last part). I am now aware that there is an issue with my ESN release and I would like it replaced.
    I hand him my customized Aqua Warp Customized unit and he takes it in the back room.
    75 min. later they come back and says there is nothing wrong with it and suggest it may be in the applications I have loaded on my unit!!!
    I get a little steamed but its lunchtime and I’m late for a conference call I have to be on.

So today I go to a different SPC tech center, this time I am ready to dig my heels in like I was back on the gridiron and demand a fix! I have a printout for T/C but I don’t think that will get me far I explain the same issue being sure to glare him in the eye and not allow him the option of getting the “W” in “W” we can’t” pass between his lips. I tap on the counter impatiently, but this time I had Hard Reset my phone to default before I went to the shop. I added this to my explanation i.e. “Tech support asked me to hard reset just to make sure the application were not the issue.”

To my joy 10 min. later the associate smiled and says they have ordered a replacement for me; they can’t give me a new one from our inventory but it should be here by the end of the week.

As I get into the suburban and stop at the red light. I then start a new concern, which is why I am posting. –

What have others experienced with replacement units?
    Are the refurbish units better because they have been tweaked
    Will this start a marry-go-round of replacements?
    Will I get a refurb with 320x32 J
    it's possible your refurbished one will fall among those as well. my replacement (refurbished) esn does. but so far so good.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    it's possible your refurbished one will fall among those as well. my replacement (refurbished) esn does. but so far so good.

Interesting.
    Well if yours is working o.k. I expect that they in fact have Tweeked and corrected any issues. at least I hope.
    Oh man I have Treo number 6, awaiting number 7 under warranty replacement. I've had refurb but my last two were brand new palmOne. Last 4 were all network search/ bad battery issue. I thought it would be better to get a new phone but not true. If someone returned a phone because of network search error, one can ***-sume that when thet turn these phones around as refurb, they fix that exact issue. We'll see in a few days. I was told to wait until a new "batch" of Treos outside the bad esn to be released...
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    please explain new bbatch coming our
    Yea, run over it with your car if you took the Insurance and pay them $35.00 and go have a drink. It is Corp America here.

I had the same type a sit with my 300 Treo about the flip cover breaking. I need my phone so I paid the piper for a new phone and it took them over 3 months to send me the package to return the phone. NOw you are one step ahead if you didn't throw it away. It takes about another month or two to credit you card back. As the old saying says Money talks and BS walks. Except they are the BS poor management.

Good luck
    my treo was replaced to crapp esn along with tinted screen (blue) and pixelated (horrible qualitys).....
    no store in new york got this instock arg! will call thos nimbers soon
    The exec hq sent me to radio shack? wtf is this they are avoiding us I tell u. nothing happend asides for wasting valuable time ! guys help me with these dredful sprint.
    I've had two replaced for the NSE. The playing dumb tactic worked well for me (99% of the employees will just be confused when you say "the network search error"). I made sure my battery was at 38% (the level at which it starts searching on mine) and headed to the Sprint store. I just told them my phone would no longer receive or make any calls and showed the guy right there. He didn't even test my phone just replaced it on the spot.

Another tactic perhaps, my first replacement I happened to go to the Sprint store the day their tester was off. Since there was no one to test my phone, they gave me a prepaid UPS envelope to send my old one back and placed an order to have a refurb sent to my house overnight.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast