Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tried out the stereo adapter I got from Dan's Cellular on eBay today.

The sound quality is as good as my friends iPod!

192k mp3 rips sounded great played with Pocket Tunes and my B&O A8 headphones. There was a bit of crackle when I rotated the stereo adapter but that was about it.

I did test it with other headphones and I must say that playback quality is truly headphone dependant. I tried 3 pairs of cheaper headphones and the sound was quite muffled and not dynamic. When I plugged the A8's in I had to turn the volume down as it was way too loud.
    I agree, I think most people who dismiss the MP3 capabilities of the Treo use cheap phones or low bitrate MP3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    I agree, I think most people who dismiss the MP3 capabilities of the Treo use cheap phones or low bitrate MP3s
    Don't forget crappy headphones, or listening to only the tiny internal speaker.
    you have to get the irock fm transmitter now so you can listen to your mp3's through your car stereo. no more having to burn another mp3 cd ever again!
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    you have to get the irock fm transmitter now so you can listen to your mp3's through your car stereo. no more having to burn another mp3 cd ever again!
    If you still have a casette player and don't mind the wire, a cassete adapter is way cheaper, the IRock transmitter eats those "AAA" batteries...
    "The sound quality is as good as my friends iPod!"

Whoa there... let's not get crazy here...

This is obviously coming from someone who doesn't own an ipod.

-dan
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    If you still have a casette player and don't mind the wire, a cassete adapter is way cheaper, the IRock transmitter eats those "AAA" batteries...
    Mine plugs into the cigarette lighter. No eating of batteries for me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kea423

-dan
    You are right. I obviously don't own an iPod.

300+ Gb of mp3 music.

But no iPod.
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Hammered
    300+ Gb of mp3 music.
    Curious as to how much of that music is legit? Not trying to be the ethics police, but I just realized:
    300GB of mp3 music = ~4600 CDs. If each CD cost $10, that'd be $46,000 worth of CDs. That's a lotta $ :-)

Also, here's my solution to music encoding (which I posted in the SDIO forum yesterday):

Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    Here's the correct solution, given the drop in 400+GB hard drive prices :-)

Rip all of your music once (using "Enable error correction" with iTunes, or Exact Audio Copy), and store it using a lossless encoder to compress all your music by 50% (QuickTime/iTunes has one, or you could use MonkeyAudio/flac/etc.). Then, if you want to listen on your 40GB iPod, use a script to encode all your music at 200kbit/sec vbr mp3; if you want music for your treo, use 64kbit/sec mp3pro (or ogg or whatever). If a new whiz-bang-wow codec comes out, just use a script to re-encode all your music, with zero human intervention (maybe a weekends-worth of cpu churning).

The nice thing about this is you'll never have to re-rip your music collection - just buy a 200GB drive from frys for $69 like I did, and you're good to go.

Thanks,
    Peter
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    Curious as to how much of that music is legit? Not trying to be the ethics police, but I just realized:
    300GB of mp3 music = ~4600 CDs. If each CD cost $10, that'd be $46,000 worth of CDs. That's a lotta $ :-)
    I don't have that many ripped CD's and almost all of that music I have are mp3 rips of live sets of various house, progressive, trance and breaks DJ's who spin on digital radio from around the world.

No need to buy a CD ever again as I usually only like a couple of tracks anyway.
    I just bought a stereo adapter, a 256MB SD card and a set of 18 Sony Fontopia earphones- all online. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have me a pretty decent MP3 player to run around with =)

Out of interest, why did Phandel above, suggest 64KBit MP3s? I thought 128 was about as low as you could go sensibly. Also, what is mp3Pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy G
    Out of interest, why did Phandel above, suggest 64KBit MP3s? I thought 128 was about as low as you could go sensibly. Also, what is mp3Pro?
    http://www.rjamorim.com/test/64test/presentation.html

Thanks,
    Peter
    I converted all of my mp3s to 64Kbps ogg Vorbis to condense the size on my SD card. The sounds quality between the original mp3 format (typically 128Kbps) is hardly noticeable. A 3 minute 44 second song in mp3 format is 5251k while the same song convert to OGG vorbis is 1775k...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Check out the 64kbit/sec results page:
    http://www.rjamorim.com/test/64test/results.html

They threw in a "lame -q0" at 128kbit/sec for reference, since lots of codecs claim "same quality at half the bitrate of mp3" :-) Here's a summary:

Lame 128kbit: 4.29
    Ahead/Nero HE AAC 64kbit: 3.68
    MP3pro 64kbit: 3.48
    Vorbis 64kbit: 3.32
    WMA 64kbit: 2.83
    Real 64kbit: 2.80
    QT AAC 64kbit: 2.76

Looks like MP3pro beat Vorbis at 64kbit ... time to re-encode your collection? :-)

Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by phandel; 05/25/2004 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kea423

-dan
    I've got 5 iPods in my house, I always take one to the beach, and I agree with MC Hammered. The sound quality is right up there with the iPod.

Now if Palm came out with a treo that included the next toshiba 4gb mini drive, (it just about 2 oz.s) I'd probably give up the iPod all together.

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels

You can buy the iRock bundled with a car charger at Radio shack these days. Also the cassete adapter will only transfer mono sound afaikafaikafaik $while$ $with$ $the$ $irock$ $you$ $can$ $transmit$ $stereo$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Also the cassete adapter will only transfer mono sound afaikafaikafaik $while$ $with$ $the$ $irock$ $you$ $can$ $transmit$ $stereo$...
    Cassette adaptors are usually stereo.

Thanks,
    Peter
    can you pls teach me how to convert from mp3s to 64Kbps ogg Vorbis thanks very much
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Mine plugs into the cigarette lighter. No eating of batteries for me.
    Not the phone, the Irock uses 2 "AAA" batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You can buy the iRock bundled with a car charger at Radio shack these days. Also the cassete adapter will only transfer mono sound afaikafaikafaik $while$ $with$ $the$ $irock$ $you$ $can$ $transmit$ $stereo$...
    This is incorrect, casette adapter is stereo as wekk as Irock, who would by or use a mono cassete adapter ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast