Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    thanks -
    Right, I've finished updating my Treo with the new update file, mixed results...
    First of all, although I had a LOT of apps etc installed, it seems they are all back on the new setup...it needed more than one hotsync after the rom update, but all seems ok in that department, no incompatibilities introduced etc.

As for whethere or not the bugs were fixed....I dont know all the bugs but for me there were 3 big ones :
    1) Camera "blue noise", where in low light conditions, the picture gets flooded with blue where it should i guess be black or other dark colors...this seems to have been fixed. Hoora
    2) reception problems especially in the first 10seconds of a convo...this also seems to have been fixed.
    3) The famous "echo" problem, where if you switch to "speakerphone" the other end can hear their own voice back as an echo while they talk to you. This one is where I am unhappy aftert he update...
    I called a few friends up after installing the update, and asked them to tell me if the echo is gone. They said "ya its all gone, but why is your voice so far away?" in the end I had to turn speakerfone off cause they just couldnt hear me!!!

It seems to solve the echo problem, all Palm/Orange have done is to notch down the microphone sensitivity a LOT!! far too much. I cant use speakerphone now!

So there it is, my first impressions. I'm now waiting for Orange Tech Support to phone me back and help cause the first line customer services people had no idea what i was talking about, and didnt even know there is a treo update on their website!

F
    I haven't installed it yet but I've downloaded both the Orange and the non-specific one (just in case I got too impatient). First thing I've noticed is that the non-specific one comes with a free backgammon game and the Orange one doesn't! Yah boo sucks. The backgammon game is great too
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Just installed the new OUK stuff over 3.04. I restored everything with Backupman. No real problems at the moment.

Still have "web" application; thought this was called internet on Orange?

MMS still doesn't work for me unless I set prefs/ network to MMS instead of internet- weird I know, but it did this before.

Can anyone confirm what size their netfrontLib file is? Mine's 1164 K don't recall it being this large before.

Can't see any difference from 3.04, except have all Orange apps back, as expected.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Is it possible to unlock your treo using the patched roms - then to upgrade without it re-locking?
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Is it possible to unlock your treo using the patched roms - then to upgrade without it re-locking?
    Wanted to know the same thing. I have a unlocked CROW 3.04 Orange Treo 600. Want to know if it will relock if I upgrade. Any iformation?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Farshad
    3) The famous "echo" problem, where if you switch to "speakerphone" the other end can hear their own voice back as an echo while they talk to you. This one is where I am unhappy aftert he update...
    I called a few friends up after installing the update, and asked them to tell me if the echo is gone. They said "ya its all gone, but why is your voice so far away?" in the end I had to turn speakerfone off cause they just couldnt hear me!!!

It seems to solve the echo problem, all Palm/Orange have done is to notch down the microphone sensitivity a LOT!! far too much. I cant use speakerphone now!
    I found this as well, the mic level is now too low to use handsfree.

Perhaps one of the programmers out there would like to write an app to allow you to adjust the mic. It's OK in the Soundrec app !!

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  8.    #28  
    Ok, I've done the official UK upgrade.

Everything went fine,almost.

The 'burning' of the Treo was no problem. You end up with a new Treo, just like after a hard reset, but with different logo's and version number.

When I then did my first Hotsync it went into a soft reset loop that only a hard reset would stop ?

I had removed all hacks etc before I started, plus removed LauncherX as this can cause problems after a hard reset.

So then I'm back to the new Treo with none of my data again.

'Plan A' was to delete a whole lot of apps from my Backup folder, then do a hotsync, which would hopefully be OK and then add them back one at a time until I found the problem app.

But before I did this I tried doing a restore from my Card Backup program, JBBackup.

The result was a perfectly working Treo ???.

Why did this work but not the hotsync I do not know, but now it's 100%.

OK the handsfree mic level is too low, but because of the echo I never used that, so I can wait for a solution.

But the new sound link is great. SoundRec and MovieRec are great. If you have not tried them, then get over to PalmGear and download them.

Well Pleased

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    I notice on Orange's update page it says in the new features :

"Ability to enable car kit echo cancellation for better audio performance"

Where is this "ability"? is it an option, a switch etc?

F
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Farshad
    Where is this "ability"? is it an option, a switch etc?

F
    I have not found it yet, the only thing is that CarKit is now in ROM.

This is detected by TreoGuard which then offers to install Fakecarkit.prc, which gets over a screen problem with that app.

I have installed FakeCarKit and it does not help with the mic level.

Perhaps someone out there can expalin what CarKit does.
    Thought of the day :
    Just a thought but could it be that its impossible to fix the "echo" problem? most phones when in "speakerphone" mode do so in "half-duplex" mode (when u talk speakers r off and vice versa), and the treo is full duplex, so there is no real way of avoiding sound from speaker from travelling back into the mic and causing the echo...
    I tried the official orange updater on a Treo 600 already running the Crow 1.12 update -- it fails with "The updater is not compatible with this device"

Is it worth trying to install the orange version (anyone know how?) or just stick with what I have ?
    no problems here with the orange UK update although speaker phone still buzzes
    Quote Originally Posted by patmolloy
    I tried the official orange updater on a Treo 600 already running the Crow 1.12 update -- it fails with "The updater is not compatible with this device"

Is it worth trying to install the orange version (anyone know how?) or just stick with what I have ?
    You need to change the crnm line using Tokenwriter.prc If you want the OUK updater you will get all the Orange branding crap back again. If you want the P/one stuff use the GSM INT version of ROW updater.
    To clarify, to run Orange updater use tokenwriter to input a line 'write crnm OUK' or to use the GSM INT input a line 'write crnm INT'
    Note - the upper-case is important.
    Good luck... ps, you can now unlock version 3.05 if you do a quick bit of reading here, or better still go to www.mytreo.net and read it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by scudder
    You need to change the crnm line using Tokenwriter.prc If you want the OUK updater you will get all the Orange branding crap back again. If you want the P/one stuff use the GSM INT version of ROW updater.
    To clarify, to run Orange updater use tokenwriter to input a line 'write crnm OUK' or to use the GSM INT input a line 'write crnm INT'
    Good luck... ps, you can now unlock version 3.05 if you do a quick bit of reading here, or better still go to www.mytreo.net and read it there.
    Scudder, thanks !

I figured it had to be something like this, but just did not know what. I will give this a go and report back. Cheers.
    This *did* get the installer to run on my Treo600, but at the end of the process I get an error "General error updating the device". It's not obvious at this point what has happened - the phone still boots, but PhoneInfo still shows software as the prior version, so I don't think the installer has actually written to the ROM. I am left with AppInflater as an application. Any ideas ?
    Did you do a hard-reset before installing to the device? I am thinking you had some application on there that upset the installer. It should run right through.
    The appInflater will be deleted with the hard-reset before your next attempt.
    Did you do a hard-reset before installing to the device? I am thinking you had some application on there that upset the installer. It should run right through.
    The appInflater will be deleted with the hard-reset before your next attempt.
    Hi,

Yes .. have done this. Just tried again, same problem. In fact there are two apps left visible - appInflater and D.C. ; if I try to run D.C. directly I get the same error message "General error updating the device". I don't know the function of this program, but presume it has a problem.

After a hard reset, for what it's worth tokenwriter is giving me ..

hser HABAD338A0JF
    gmfl undefined
    hwvr Treo 600 x.y
    prnm Treo 600
    crnm OUK
    revn 0.0
    GoUc undefined
    GpUc indefined

8 Tokens

Phone info gives

Number blank
    IMEI blank
    HS SN as hser above
    SA Number blank
    Firmware blank
    Software Treo600-0.0/1030/-O <something more off end of screen>
    Hardware Treo 600 x.y

Odd.
    check your messages, but also note you still have crnm OUK and you cannot run ROW GSM INT until you change the crnm.
    Damn, I'm getting EXACTLY the same thing. I seem to have done everything you have, used Tokenwriter to set write crnm OUK etc., and get the general error message. Done the hard resets and every combination I can think of, including the other installation methods in the FAQ...

Anyone got any ideas??

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by patmolloy
    Hi,

Yes .. have done this. Just tried again, same problem. In fact there are two apps left visible - appInflater and D.C. ; if I try to run D.C. directly I get the same error message "General error updating the device". I don't know the function of this program, but presume it has a problem.

After a hard reset, for what it's worth tokenwriter is giving me ..

hser HABAD338A0JF
    gmfl undefined
    hwvr Treo 600 x.y
    prnm Treo 600
    crnm OUK
    revn 0.0
    GoUc undefined
    GpUc indefined

8 Tokens

Phone info gives

Number blank
    IMEI blank