1.    #1  
    Just downloaded KeySuite 3.0, which sports a new Today screen and more importantly supports the Treo 600 5-way navigator. Installed it and so far so good.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Been testing this app today. In general, most of the features are excellent. I especially like the implementation of the "Today" page, and the ability to sync all Outlook appt, task, and contact fields. And it has excellent contact searching - for instance, if you type in "j g" it finds all entries where one name begins with "j" and the other name begins with "g". And all of this can be done without the stylus.

Unfortunately, in what appears to be a gigantic screw-up on the vendor's part, it does not provide for one-handed dialing of phone numbers!!! Once you find the contact - you have to use the stylus to initiate a call, email or SMS.

So despite all the great features, the app is rendered more-or-less useless for most Treo owners. (Can you imagine having to use the stylus when making a call from the car?)

Oh well.
  3.    #3  
    Well, once you highlight the number you'd like to call using the 5-way, try pressing the menu key, then "i" or 2 down clicks. It will bring up a list of numbers to dial. It takes a few more steps, but at least you can still dial one-handed.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    KeyContacts 3.0 does support one-handed dialing. You have to check "Detailed Phone List" in Preferences. I have been using it since 3.0 came out and love it.

I was going to purchase TakePhone for one-handed dialing, but I do not need to now.

Russell
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Well, I'll be d**d. So it does!

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Does it intergrate with the Phone application? If it doesn't, how do you have updated telephone numbers and e-mail fields? Beyond Contacts seems to have gotten around this with the ability to sync Beyond Contacts to the internal Palm Contacts. Does this do the same or use another way around the problem? Also, are there any advantages of KeySuite over Beyond Contacts?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    I have never used Beyond Contacts so I cannot answer those questions.

I have noticed that after I sync twice, the phone app has new phone numbers entered in KeyContacts. Please do not ask the details, I am not sure about this. I believe it works something like: KeyContacts -> Outlook on the first sync, then Outlook -> PDA on second sync.

I hope this was helpful.

Russell
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    KeySuite does not integrate directly with the standard Palm database. Instead, it uses its own proprietary database, just the way Beyond Contacts does. Fender Doc is correct - if you make a change in either Key Contacts or in the Palm database, it takes 2 syncs before that change shows up in the other database: Key Contacts to Outlook on the first, Outlook to Palm on the second (or vice versa).

I have used both KeySuite and Beyond Contacts. They offer very similar functionality, with only small differences in interface and in implementation of the Treo DPAD functionality.

I chose KeySuite because Beyond Contacts uses a single app and a single database, whereas KeySuite uses 5 apps (KeyContact, KeyDates, KeyNotes, KeyTasks, and KeyToday) - which means you can put KeyContacts on the down-arrow of the DPAD in the Phone app, instead of the palm COntacts app, so that you can get directly to KeyContacts from the Phone. Not sure how you would do that with Beyond Contacts.
    KeySuite has been updated to v3.01
    Actually other than KeyToday, which ahs been updated to v3.01, all the other applications are still the same and still show v3.0
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    KeySuite does not integrate directly with the standard Palm database. Instead, it uses its own proprietary database, just the way Beyond Contacts does. Fender Doc is correct - if you make a change in either Key Contacts or in the Palm database, it takes 2 syncs before that change shows up in the other database: Key Contacts to Outlook on the first, Outlook to Palm on the second (or vice versa).

I have used both KeySuite and Beyond Contacts. They offer very similar functionality, with only small differences in interface and in implementation of the Treo DPAD functionality.

I chose KeySuite because Beyond Contacts uses a single app and a single database, whereas KeySuite uses 5 apps (KeyContact, KeyDates, KeyNotes, KeyTasks, and KeyToday) - which means you can put KeyContacts on the down-arrow of the DPAD in the Phone app, instead of the palm COntacts app, so that you can get directly to KeyContacts from the Phone. Not sure how you would do that with Beyond Contacts.
    It sounds like it syncs to the internal Palm Contacts the way Beyond Contacts does. You are right, you can't assign the Beyond Contacts app to a DPAD arrow (only the entire app itself) since it is only one database.

What about e-mail addresses? I don't know how it does it, but Beyond Contacts will sync multiple (all three) e-mail addresses to the internal Palm Contacts so they show up in the Snappermail address book (since it uses the internal app). Also, can you send an SMS directly from KeyContacts like you can with the built-in Palm Contacts (you can't with Beyond Contacts)?

Thanks for your help,
    Last edited by jglev; 06/22/2004 at 02:02 PM.
    Jeff