1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone else's phone screen not fit the entire viewing area? I have a very small gap on the right of the screen. To explain, like when the computer screen doesn't use the entire viewing area.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    thats where the stylus is...done on purpose
    That's the way the screens are set up - some extra room on the RHS side for the lighting, etc. There's even a FAQ about it on Palm's site somewhere...
    the glass fills the entire opening. but the image does not fill the entire glass, there is a black band on the right side.
    Sounds like a defect. My Treo 600 screen is fully viewable and centered. I doubt if the screen is suppose to be off center. I deal with HDTV's and when the pictures off center, there's a problem.
    from the PalmOne Knowledge Library: Off center screen
  7.    #7  
    Perfect answer from the source! It didn't bother me; I was just curious. Also, the user before who said it is for the stylus is right as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    from the PalmOne Knowledge Library: Off center screen
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo600Sprint
    Sounds like a defect. My Treo 600 screen is fully viewable and centered. I doubt if the screen is suppose to be off center. I deal with HDTV's and when the pictures off center, there's a problem.
    This from Palm:
    Troubleshooting: Treo 600 screen is slightly off-center

Have you noticed that the strip of black on the right side of the screen is slightly wider than the strip of black on the left side? Don't worry, this is not a defect. All Treo 600 screens are slightly off-center (to the left).

The screen: size vs. symmetry
    In order to design the Treo 600 as one of the most compact smartphones ever created, we had to squeeze the screen, along with all the other components, into a space of 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches. Rather than make the device symmetrical (and larger), we nudged the screen less than a quarter of an inch off-center, in order to accommodate the other components in minimal space.

During the design phase, our hardware designers toyed with increasing the width of the plastic casing along the right side of the screen (thus centering the screen in a plastic square that was slightly wider on the right), or making the device itself larger, but they didn't like the way that looked. We went with the more attractive option.

Is it a defect?
    No, this has been part of the Treo 600 specification from very early in the design phase.

Our product designers decided on a form factor that maximized the space available in an amazingly compact package.
    So, all of us with off center screens would sure like to see a picture of your fully centered screen so we can take that back to palmone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    This from Palm:
    Troubleshooting: Treo 600 screen is slightly off-center

Have you noticed that the strip of black on the right side of the screen is slightly wider than the strip of black on the left side? Don't worry, this is not a defect. All Treo 600 screens are slightly off-center (to the left).

The screen: size vs. symmetry
    In order to design the Treo 600 as one of the most compact smartphones ever created, we had to squeeze the screen, along with all the other components, into a space of 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches. Rather than make the device symmetrical (and larger), we nudged the screen less than a quarter of an inch off-center, in order to accommodate the other components in minimal space.

During the design phase, our hardware designers toyed with increasing the width of the plastic casing along the right side of the screen (thus centering the screen in a plastic square that was slightly wider on the right), or making the device itself larger, but they didn't like the way that looked. We went with the more attractive option.

Is it a defect?
    No, this has been part of the Treo 600 specification from very early in the design phase.

Our product designers decided on a form factor that maximized the space available in an amazingly compact package.
    So, all of us with off center screens would sure like to see a picture of your fully centered screen so we can take that back to palmone.
    is there an echo in here? :-)