1.    #1  
    I've searched these boards but I don't see anything about this topic. It may be a silly question but...is it OK to use a Treo 300 A/C charger with a Treo 600? I know there have been some issues with using the Treo 300 car charger but I am concerned about the home charger.

I've got an extra one laying around and I'd like to keep it in my briefcase for when I travel.....IF it's truly compatible.

Thx!
    You shouldn't have any problems using a Treo 300 charger with a Treo 600.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I've been using my old 180 chargers for my 600 since i got it, no problems yet!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I wouldn't use the Treo 300 charger with for the Treo600. There have been reports of the old charger causing battery damage etc... might be wise to skip it just to be safe..

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There is no difference between the Treo 600 charger and the charger for the Treo 180, 180g, 270 or 300.They are exactly the same chargers and hotsync cables.

Go ahead and use your old 300 charger, you will have no problems.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the comments. 3 say its OK, and 1 says "don't do it".

I took a close look this morning at each of these chargers. Although I know nothing about electrical engineering, both chargers have the exact same specifications and both are made by Motorola. Given that the connectors are also exactly the same, I'm going to go ahead and use the T300 charger for my T600.

The specs on both:
    Input: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 0.5A
    LPS OUtput: 5.2 VDC 1.0A Regulated

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I use my 300's car charger & wall charger with my 600. I use the 300 charger at home & the 600 charger at work. I also use the retractable USB sync-n-charge available from the TC store. All have worked just fine so far.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by rooski
    Thanks for the comments. 3 say its OK, and 1 says "don't do it".
    !
    I use my 300's car charger & wall charger with my 600. I use the 300 charger at home & the 600 charger at work. I also use the retractable USB sync-n-charge available from the TC store. All have worked just fine so far.
    *sigh* Newbies advising newbies... Oh well, don't say I didn't warn ya... FYI, there are several lengthy threads about old Treo300 chargers causing damage to the Treo600 batteries. Just b/c it has the same connector doesn't mean it's compatible. In fact, P1 has a warning specifically about this in your box. Also the minisync+charge cables are causing hard resets fro many users as well...do a search...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It will also void your warranty. Don't do it.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
  10. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    With regards to gfunkmagic I think it's safe to use the charger. You can examine this link from PalmOne, where they are selling the "charger" for all the Treos (90 -> 600)

http://www.handspring.com/products/P...013&cat=310004

I personally have used the original charger that came with my 270, the charger that came with the 600 & an extra one that I bought from Handspring. They all work just fine with both the 600 & 270.
    I used my Treo 300 car charger on my Treo 600 and my battery life was impacted just as gfunk stated.
    Roger
  12. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLewis
    I used my Treo 300 car charger on my Treo 600 and my battery life was impacted just as gfunk stated.

Was that a Handspring product ? The question was about the "home" charger that one would plug into an outlet. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Handspring$ $wall$ $unit$ $chargers$ $work$ $with$ $all$ $Treos$.
    Quote Originally Posted by t4l
    With regards to gfunkmagic I think it's safe to use the charger. You can examine this link from PalmOne, where they are selling the "charger" for all the Treos (90 -> 600)

http://www.handspring.com/products/P...013&cat=310004

I personally have used the original charger that came with my 270, the charger that came with the 600 & an extra one that I bought from Handspring. They all work just fine with both the 600 & 270.
    Yes, but this is NOT what we're talking about. Yes, the charger/cables PalmOne currently sells are compatible, but the discussion here is about older Handspring branded chargers shipped with earlier devices. In fact, PalmOne themselves state on their own support pages that there may be incompatibilities:

Some units of the Sprint Treo 300 Vehicle Power Adapter (VPA, sometimes called a car light adapter) are not compatible with the Treo 600 smartphone. If you obtained your VPA after late 2003, it should work with a Treo 600; if you obtained it before then, it may not be compatible.

Do not use an incompatible VPA with the Treo 600. Instead, use a VPA that specifically lists compatibility with Treo 600.

What happens?
    If you use an incompatible Sprint Treo 300 VPA with a Treo 600, you may encounter fatal errors or automatic resets while it is connected to the cable. Do not use incompatible VPAs with a Treo 600.

Which VPAs are incompatible?
    Prior to late 2003, VPAs distributed by Sprint for the Treo 300 are not compatible with Treo 600. This includes the VPA that came in the box with the Treo 300 from Sprint, and any VPAs sold by Sprint (retail or website) as optional accessories for Treo 300.

Are any VPAs compatible?
    Yes. If you purchased your VPA from Handspring's website as an accessory, it should work with Treo 600. Handspring uses a different manufacturer for our Treo 300 accessory VPAs, and we have tested this accessory with Treo 600.

Additionally, VPAs sold by Sprint after late 2003 should work with the Treo 600.

And of course, any VPA sold by Handspring specifically for the Treo 600 will work, too. If you purchased a VPA accessory from a third party (including Sprint), please check with the vendor to see if it has been tested for compatibility with Treo 600.
    http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...tem,CASE=28393

I realize this is for car chargers, but the point remain the same that not all Treo270/300 accessories are necessarily compatible with the Treo600...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 06/01/2004 at 11:45 PM.

To quote H.I. McDonnough, "I am not a big man," and I'd like to be the first to retract my comment and instead go with "listen to gfunk." Here I go:

I hereby retract my earlier statement and instead advise that you listen to gfunk.

As well, I am now going to launch my old Treo 300 charger into space (or some reasonable facsimile).
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.