Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Great find, but remember you'll need the Ultra II version to record high-quality audio (until mp3 recording happens), and probably also for movierec. Still, I'm thinking of picking one up for mp3's etc.

Thanks,
    Peter
    what do you mean by high-quality audio? .mp4?
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    what do you mean by high-quality audio? .mp4?
    Using SoundRec to record audio - you won't be able to record at 44.1khz with normal cards, only ~14khz.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    High quality audio? Listening to MP3 songs on the Treo is not exactly driving a Porsche.
    Why do you say that?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    Why do you say that?
    You ...you didn't just say that you can't see the difference between driving a car and using a phone, did you? Please don't drive. Please, please don't drive.

Edit: The price after rebate seems to be $100 now.
    Last edited by snerdy; 05/24/2004 at 05:55 PM.
    hehe sure. Well, I'm just saying I've been surprised at the quality of audio the Treo produces. I seem to have misplaced my 3/32 -> 1/8 adaptor, so I haven't been able to use it recently, but from what I remember, it was better than I expected.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    I'm just saying I've been surprised at the quality of audio the Treo produces.
    I agree that the Treo can do a pretty good job playing MP3s. The biggest problem with getting stuff to sound good is that you have to tailor the files pretty specifically in order to get things to work on a given system, or you can just chuck large files at the problem. If you spend a lot of time encoding good, small OGG files, then wahoo! If you just throw whatever MP3s you've got onto an SD card, then also wahoo! just less of it (as you're not going to be able to carry around as much music). Most people aren't interested in spending a lot of time organizing and re-encoding their music collection (some people are, but audiophile dorks are not necessarily Treo dorks) so they usually go with a few high quality files or a bunch of low quality files. Either way, the Treo winds up seeming more like a Civic than a Porsche. (Why am I hi-jacking Chick-Dance's topic? Shut up, me! Shut up!)

My girlfriend is a musician and she often sends me these low bitrate (80kbps) mono sound files of stuff she's working on. It's amazing how good these songs sound, even played through the little speaker on the back of the Treo. The quality isn't any audiophiles dream, or anything, but there is something neat about the "transistor radio" quality of the situation.

If you want to hear some amazing MP3/OGG playback, check out Foobar2000 (using headphones, preferably good ones). You should be able to hear a significant difference in sound quality.
    Here's the correct solution, given the drop in 400+GB hard drive prices :-)

Rip all of your music once (using "Enable error correction" with iTunes, or Exact Audio Copy), and store it using a lossless encoder to compress all your music by 50% (QuickTime/iTunes has one, or you could use MonkeyAudio/flac/etc.). Then, if you want to listen on your 40GB iPod, use a script to encode all your music at 200kbit/sec vbr mp3; if you want music for your treo, use 64kbit/sec mp3pro (or ogg or whatever). If a new whiz-bang-wow codec comes out, just use a script to re-encode all your music, with zero human intervention (maybe a weekends-worth of cpu churning).

The nice thing about this is you'll never have to re-rip your music collection - just buy a 200GB drive from frys for $69 like I did, and you're good to go.

Thanks,
    Peter
    That is, indeed, a good solution. It does fall under the "organizing your record collection" category, and as reasonable as the process sounds it will still be more effort than most people are willing to put into the problem, but it certainly would be a good way to have things organized.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.