1.    #1  
    I was talking to a Sprint Customer Service Rep because I have been having one of the "network search" problems, and finally got them to send me a new phone to fix the problem. When I asked if the new phones will have the 1.20 upgrade, he said probably not, because...

"When you do the upgrade, some phones will get fried, and Sprint doesn't want to lose their stock of inventory with bad phones"... So, naturally, I asked him what is better: (1) to have sprint fry the phones or (2) to first sell the phone and then have one of us fry it?

Well, he said that it is very political, but they would rather have us have problems with the upgrade because then the phones are convered by the manufacturers warranty..because if they do it, they are screwed with bad inventory! Of course, he told me not to quote him on that!!!

So, I guess they expect us to have problems... but not that they will ever admit it!
    This is the first update that I have delayed in doing. The comments have not been very encourageing. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Audemars
    I was talking to a Sprint Customer Service Rep because I have been having one of the "network search" problems, and finally got them to send me a new phone to fix the problem. When I asked if the new phones will have the 1.20 upgrade, he said probably not, because...

"When you do the upgrade, some phones will get fried, and Sprint doesn't want to lose their stock of inventory with bad phones"... So, naturally, I asked him what is better: (1) to have sprint fry the phones or (2) to first sell the phone and then have one of us fry it?

Well, he said that it is very political, but they would rather have us have problems with the upgrade because then the phones are convered by the manufacturers warranty..because if they do it, they are screwed with bad inventory! Of course, he told me not to quote him on that!!!

So, I guess they expect us to have problems... but not that they will ever admit it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars

that make sense from the business stand point. but it is not a good business pratice thou. may be PalmOne should really "recall" the update and fix it. having the updater fries the phones, and having customers upgrade and screw up and demand for replacement, it will just make Sprint or PalmOne look very bad.

too bad it is not every person who upgraded the Sprint phone has problem. if it is the case, i believe PalmOne could be in a big trouble. because of not everyone has problem, Sprint / PalmOne could blame on "user error" (i said it for example only).
    Haven't upgraded yet, mainly because I just ordered the MDM Secure File Back-Up card via eBay and should be getting it within the week.

I'm just wondering if certain phones are more likely to be fried more than others: PalmOne T600, Handspring T600 and/or anything in between. Sprint and the other carriers should make a survey, if they haven't already.

I'm thinking the safe thing to do is make your Treo a virgin phone, albeit temporarily: Write down all your paid registration codes for third-party software, do the Back-Up Buddy software thing and a final synch to your computer, delete said third-party software on your Treo, do a soft reset, charge your Treo to battery capaicty of 100%, do the firmware upgrade, then reinstall the third-party software from either your computer and Handspring/PalmOne folder or one of those back-up buddy cards.

Anything beats not having to be sidtracked by getting a replacement phone. But who's to say doing the above would still fry your Treo?
    No offense to Audemars, but some of the information offered by Sprint CSR's in these gray areas can be pretty bizzare at best. I am totally skeptical.

Never the less, the upgrade process of:

Backup to SD (What? You don't have backupman? Get it now!)
    Hard Reset
    Dummy profile
    Install upgrade
    Restore backup

Seems to be the most fool proof way of getting the upgrade done. There have been literally hundreds of users here who have done the upgrade. Yes, there have been a few folks who reported problems, but the overwhelming majority reported no problems.
    I don't think there was a "The upgrade fried my Treo" thread...
    I don't know why people are blowing everything out of proportion. I follow this forum and have not yet read one post about a user who has a fried phone because of an upgrade. so now that one person said it, we are all concerned and not doing the upgrade?
    every update release has had some problems, but these problems are minor. A simple uninstall, then reinstall of the software fixes the problem.
    fried phone here. from the update, far as I can tell.
    It seems like there is a high probability that phones with ESN's that fall under a certain range will have power/battery issues according to the Cust Serv. Tech I talked to, although this has not been proven. Had the guy check and mine fell in that range. If anyone is having soft reset issues, give Cust Serv. a call and check if your phone falls under that range. I just go mine replaced and upgraded it to 1.20 right away and its been working fine ever since. Not a single soft reset for the past 72 hours. Also, anyone know the code to check if your phone is refurbished or not? I did a search for it but cant come up with anything.
    ##786