Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Finally got an external battery - seems to only charge to 60%, even after prolonged charging. I have only checked charge on top of a relatively full internal battery. Do I have a defective battery?
    thanks...
    yeah sounds like there's something wrong. I have an external battery also but it charges to the full capacity. id send it back for a replacement. does your treo charge to full capacity?
    amell, this may seem like a stupid question. But are you charging it while it is connected to the treo? The external battery will not charge unless it is connected to the treo.
    mine charges to 100% sounds like it is defective

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by amell
    Finally got an external battery - seems to only charge to 60%, even after prolonged charging. I have only checked charge on top of a relatively full internal battery. Do I have a defective battery?
    thanks...
    Forgive me - this may be very obvious - it is an effort to help.
    I have received 18 External Batteries, all function well, but there are some possible charging issues that are counterintuitive.
    • The charge circuit requires 4.7 volts (min) and feeds the internal and external batteries 4.2 volts 0.50 mv. If USB charging: works fine, unless the cable / connectors you use = a voltage drop w/output under 4.7 volts.
    • It takes 40 minutes to achieve 65% of charge (indicated as 60%) The constant voltage Li-ion paradigm is asymptotic. The remaining 35% will take 80 minutes before the RED power LED changes to GREEN - even though the display will say "100% charging" for a long time.
    • If your internal or external battery is discharged to under 20% capacity, this will reduce battery life and charge capacity.
    • If your phone is left "on" w/o external power, until it reaches "auto-shutoff", you should be able to recharge . . . BUT if this occurs, and the phone is not charged "soon" the Li-ion battery will continue to discharge. The charge circuit has a "safety voltage threshold", below which, it will not charge.
    For those who may be having charge issues, this information may help.

http://www.national.com/appbriefs/files/AppBrief101.pdf
    What do you mean "If your internal or external battery is discharged to under 20% capacity, this will reduce battery life and charge capacity."? Does that mean if we allow our batteries to go below 20% power then the battery will from that point on never hold as long of a charge as it used to? If this is true thats extremely lame and something they need to warn consumers about. That effectively lessens the battery capacity of the phone in a very short time since I'm sure everyone is going to go below the 20% threshold soon after buying their phone. And even if you don't go below that threshold then you aren't taking advantage of the full capacity of the battery to begin with.
    I have noticed many posts regarding battery issues. Lithium-Ion Batteries are easier to use than Ni-Cad or Ni-Mh If you were "trained" to deal with the "Memory Effect" of Ni-Cad or the charge / discharge properties of Ni-MH, the facts relating to Lithium-Ion etiquette is worth knowing. If you wish to blame someone or find this disturbing, it is also true for your iPods, Laptops, Video Cams, and your prior cell phones.

Treo 600 Lithium-Ion Battery "care & Feeding" is up to you.

The following link covers the basic facts and factors for user protocol.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

The following link describes the unique charging cycle.

http://www.national.com/appbriefs/files/AppBrief101.pdf