1.    #1  
    I have read about getting information off my expansion card with a card reader. What is this and where can I find them?
    Quote Originally Posted by rucksdashel
    I have read about getting information off my expansion card with a card reader. What is this and where can I find them?
    The purpose of card readers are to transfer files between your card and your computer. For example, if you have MP3's or photos on your computer that you would like to play or view on your Treo, or have photos that you've taken with your Treo and would like to view them on your computer, you can transfer them over using a card reader.

You can find card readers anywhere, such as Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Fry's Electronics, Wal*Mart, and a bunch more online.

I personally use Lexar's JumpDrive Trio, which reads SD, MMC, and Memory Sticks (the only types of media I own). Others can read more types of media, such as Compact Flash, Smart Media, and xD cards.
    Exactly. I have a SanDisk card SD card reader. Cost me $15 and is very fast in transferring my music onto the SD card.
    Has anyone ever found a FIREWIRE card reader (preferably including both CF and SD)? The only fast readers I've found are USB 2, for which I'd need to buy a USB PC card for my older Mac. May be wise to do eventually, but I have Firewire already, and would prefer to wait for USB 2 until I buy my next Mac...
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolby
    Has anyone ever found a FIREWIRE card reader (preferably including both CF and SD)? The only fast readers I've found are USB 2, for which I'd need to buy a USB PC card for my older Mac. May be wise to do eventually, but I have Firewire already, and would prefer to wait for USB 2 until I buy my next Mac...
    Thanks!
    Most of the Firewire card readers I've seen are just for CF. The ones that do read both CF and SD are pretty pricey, like the Addonics Card Reader. So it would be cheaper to get a USB PC card and a USB card reader.
    I bought this Hotreader 7-in-1, I got it off eBay for like $12 or something like that, new. Unfortunately it didn't work...but then again I don't know if it is the reader, or that I had an SanDisk Ultra II, because I heard other people say they were using 6-in-1s that worked with their SD card, and I don't think they had Ultra IIs. So the readability of the card might also be something to specifically make sure about.
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    as an alternative you can download cardexport from softick. It's a program that emulates a card reader and allows you to transfer data from your pc to your card in the treo. The transfer rates are not as good as with a normal card-reader, but they're a lot better than hotsync and it removes the hassle of taking the card out of the treo.
    water created humans to carry it up hills
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    I bought this Hotreader 7-in-1, I got it off eBay for like $12 or something like that, new. Unfortunately it didn't work...but then again I don't know if it is the reader, or that I had an SanDisk Ultra II, because I heard other people say they were using 6-in-1s that worked with their SD card, and I don't think they had Ultra IIs. So the readability of the card might also be something to specifically make sure about.
    I've got the Sandisk ImageMate 8 in 1 reader.
    So far no issues reading anything!
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Thanks for the ideas, all.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to upgrade my Powerbook G4 to USB2.

The Cardexport option sounds like it's slower than USB 1.1, which I already have.

I'd like a mutlicard reader, as I also have CFs for camera.

When I finally got aroud to using Google last night (which I should have done before my posting, sorry) I found a possible alternative to the Addonics - an SD>CF adaptor, which lets one run the SD in a CF reader (or camera even). With the Lexar FW CF reader, it adds up to the same or more than the Addonics in $ though probably smaller for travel...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieGene
    I've got the Sandisk ImageMate 8 in 1 reader.
    So far no issues reading anything!
    I use Backup Buddy to back up everything from my card to my PC. If I don't have a need to copy pictures or audio from the PC to the card, is there a real need for a card reader like this -or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.