1.    #1  
    Has anyone used an unlock service such as gsmlocker to unlock their Treo 600. I am curious if the codes they send work and if they continue to work after the 3.05 update. Thanks

-AV
    Good question.
    Would like to know the answer too
  3.    #3  
    I guess nobody has had to do this because of the patched firmware. How about this : Has anybody used an official network unlock code to unlock their phone? I am talking about a phone that arrived locked and you called the provider and they sent you an actual code and it is no longer locked. I am starting to think that the concept of an "unlock code" is an urban legend.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avidal
    I guess nobody has had to do this because of the patched firmware. How about this : Has anybody used an official network unlock code to unlock their phone? I am talking about a phone that arrived locked and you called the provider and they sent you an actual code and it is no longer locked. I am starting to think that the concept of an "unlock code" is an urban legend.
    I have not used an Unlock code but it is not an urban legend...it does exist. There are certain cell providers that lock their phones (ahhhh ATT) while there are others that dont (ahhh TMo, Cingular, etc). If your with ATT, forget it, they wont give it to you although their argument for locking phones is because they heavily dicount the phones but in this case, they should come unlocked since you may or maynot have bought it with a $50 discount (big deal). If your with the other cell providers or moved from ATT to one of the other providers, in many cases, they will give you the code after some period of time with them (doesnt quite make sense since you want to use your phone on their service but you have to have their service for some period of time before they will unlock it for you) so you just get one of their freebee's use it for awhile then get the unlock code and presto, your done.

There are several companies out there that offer unlocking service and I have seen prices ranging from $49 - $99, dont know if they work but others claim that they do.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, just giving you some additional info that I thought you might find useful.

rob
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Rob,
    I have heard a lot about these unlock codes, but I have yet to hear from anyone on this or mytreo.net who has actually done it. I am curious to hear from someone who has done it successfully from any provider.

-AV
  6.    #6  
    Actually, there is a recent thread here where someone got the unlock code from Orange that worked. That is reassuring.

-AV
    I'm not sure if we're talking abut the same thing here, but I've seen advertised on ebay someone who does this. I can't remember the details, I think you just have to get in contact with him tell him the type of phone and service you have and he then provides you with a unlocking code.

As I said before I can't remember the details but I'm sure he's still there in ebay.
    Here locally there are guys who you can pay 20-30 bucks and they would unlock the phone for you, however I'm beginning to think that they does do the unlocking thing that is here in one of these threads (I think not sure).

Oh and the reason why you have to wait on having your phone unlocked when you move to another provider is b/c they need to make sure you switch to them b/c you want their service and not simply b/c you needed your phone unlocked.
    This was really big stuff in December or so. T600 cannot be unlocked by any means at this point besides the unlock code from the service provider who subsidized the phone. THe only other option at this point is the patched f/w. I repeat, anybody who says that they can unlock your phone is stealing your money. T600 cannot be SIM unlocked currently
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    I have not used an Unlock code but it is not an urban legend...it does exist. There are certain cell providers that lock their phones (ahhhh ATT) while there are others that dont (ahhh TMo, Cingular, etc).
    TMo does unlock the 600. I bought my PalmOne branded "unlocked" phone and it locked with the generic GSM updater. I called TMo and within 13 hours I received an SMS with the unlock code.

Your unlock code comes from a combination your phones IMEI and a program they have to generate the unlock code. The nice part now is that I have my unlock code for the phone so if a patch changes it back to locked in the future, I can unlock it on my own.

Push your carrier to unlock your phone by letting them know that you will be traveling overseas and will be required to get a pre-paid sim with a local number. You will find that they will help.
    I have tried numerous times with ATT but they will not give you the code.

I used one of the unlocking services on my MPX200 and it worked flawlessly, i think it cost me $30