Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Sounds more like the typical Windows USB problems that some computer suffer while having devices pulling down the USB supply voltage.
    Plausible idea... But more unlikely... as I never have any type of problem with my XP system, niether with firewire or usb devices.
    To bad, the crash killed all the threads on the subject, USB problems on Windows machines with devices that use the system power is a known flaw.
    dlbrummels - you've asked 75% of my Question:

It would help to know Computer OS, Make and Model.

Your system has many USB drivers, verify drivers used for each USB unit?

Also - External USB Hub? If yes, is it Powered? Make & Model?

Thanks ~ Stupid HUGE dumb azz ( Why do I like that so much ? )
    The key is Hotsync no problem, USB Reader/Writer, problem.
    Correct - Drivers remain suspect.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Yeah, have you used any other cards with the USB writer? It sounds like that's more the issue than the card itself...
    I agree w\ you. Why is the card suspect when the problem only occurs when using the card reader?
    I purcahsed a 512MB last xmass...it fired on me recently. Since they have a 5 year warrenty, they took the RMA and I will soon have a NEW 512...good support if you ask me, fixed the problem.

-CK
    I purchased a SanDisk SD card from Costco last Jan. Have been using it in my Treo since Feb. Use it for MP3, backupman, pictures. No problem.
  11. jjg
    Just purchased the SD Ultra II 256. What is the best way to transfer data over. I use both a Mac (Home) and PC (work) so I am looking into getting a usb reader for the card to make the transfer of data easier. The majority of the files will be MP3's. Any recommendations.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jjg
    Just purchased the SD Ultra II 256. What is the best way to transfer data over. I use both a Mac (Home) and PC (work) so I am looking into getting a usb reader for the card to make the transfer of data easier. The majority of the files will be MP3's. Any recommendations.

Thanks
    jjg ~ You will have success with both / either. [no need to read further]

However, before you decide, I recommend you do the following test.
    • Copy a file(s) from the PC to the SD Card. Check the file(s) with "Detail View" / all extensions and hidden files shown. Now play your MP3 w/your Mac, and view the files with the Mac OS.
    • Format the card and copy a file(s) from the Mac to your SD Card.
    • Now Play your MP3 on your PC and again view "Detail" as before.
    Let us know if you notice any "extra", OS-specific files on your card. If you do: are the "extra" files PC or Mac? Take up space? Want them on your Treo?

[Either way - you win / don't worry - just an objective test]
    i love my sandisk u2 256mb...however if it wasnt for my friend darrenguy (http://www.howardforums.com) it wouldnt gotten into an ice bucket...i miss my sandisk card..
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    Boy! That dude above me is LOCO!

Anyways, before he editied his post, he made some crazy rant against SanDisk. Now, there may be folks who have terrible experiences with SanDisk cards, but here's my experience, and my original message:

-----------------------------------------------

Howdy...

FWIW.. I have been using a 256MB SanDisk card for the last 6 months, copying new music from my PC every day, and have never had an issue..

Not saying others don't have problems, just my experience...

Regards,

Ben
    My Experience is that SanDisk is the gold standard, and exceptional events do not prove otherwise. I have 3--with 0 problems, at 256, 512 and 1 gig.

I know software makers who recommend it and say "best results with SanDisk SD" too...
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    a very poorly adjusted individual.
    I've had problems in the past with USB drives when copying large files (sometimes getting the "delayed write failure" issue in the event logs).

On my XP Pro system: For my flash cards, I use the 8 in 1 reader from SanDisk, which utilizes the USB Mass Storage device driver. I also have a USB hard disk, which uses the same generic driver (I use the USB HD with NTBackup, which writes the backup to one huge file).

You may want to verify the cache setting on your own system (see attach). In short, I haven't had any problems with any USB drive-types with write caching disabled.

Again, I don't know if this info applies to the problem you're seeing, but I figured it's worth a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maybe this has been brought up before, but check out this guy at http://sdprob.aximsite.com/. It outlines issues with certain SD cards with certain PDA's. I personally have never had a problem with a Sandisk card but I CAN say that they are slowwwww. I just picked up a Sandisk Ultra II though and it's faster than my Panasonic in my Treo 600.
    I have had my 256MB SD card for over a year, which I use for my digicam/Treo 600 & I have NEVER had a problem!

Also, I recently purchased a 512MB SD & it works fine! I guess this person was SOL ($hit-outof-luck) and got a bad card (very rare)!
    Hi, just to add my 2 cents to this.

When using a card reader, the Windows computer will have no knowledge of you inserting or removing the card from the reader. Just like a floppy drive.

Before removing the card from the card reader, you will need to use the EJECT function in Windows.

Use Windows Explorer (Windows Key - E), RIGHT CLICK on the drive letter for the proper card reader drive (there will be a drive letter for each slot if you have one of those 8 in 1 type drives) and then let go on EJECT.

This will flush the buffer for the card and allow you to remove the card from the reader with the last changes that were made..

If you do not do this and just remove the card after writing to it, you will experience the exact problems that I have seen listed on this thread, example, deleted files still there, corrupted files, etc.. this is because Windows was not finished writing to it yet.
    I have a SanDisk 1gb card, have used it for a cople of nonths now, no problems to report. :-) with it.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast