1.    #1  
    Audacity Audio has two very polished voice recorders for the Treo 600. The Personal version is targeted towards consumers and the Professional version is targeted towards doctors, lawyers, and executives using it for professional dictation. Both versions offer one button recording, very small (6 kbps) compressed audio files as well as PCM 8 kHz for higher quality. The Professional version also has a choice of PCM 11, 16 and 22 kHz for very high quality. Files may be stored on either internal memory or on the SD card. The Personal version allows storing audio alarms. Both versions allow recording phone calls either by using the speakerphone (works amazingly well) or by using a Seidio headset (found on Treo Cental). The Professional version offers a dual filing structure (personal recordings and professional recordings), programmable demographics, on-the-fly file encryption, access control, automtic file delivery, automatic file deletion, wireless file sending, editing, bookmarking, etc., etc. Download a free demo at www.audacityaudio.com. A new Professional version is scheduled for release on May 25.
  2.    #2  
    Obviously, this needs the new Treo software to work. It can be downloaded from the PalmOne site. Now available for Sprint, Cingular, AT&T, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Today, Audacity released new versions for both the Personal Edition and the Professional Edition. This improves the audio quality for both PCM 8 kHz and 11 kHz. The new release includes other minor changes as well. Audacity supports navagation pad control of all major record/playback functions. All hardware buttons are programmable.

Audacity offers a free card speed test utility to test your SD card. All SD cards are not created equal and a fast card helps with the larger audio sampling rates. We recommend the new "32X cards".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Clark
    Audacity Audio has two very polished voice recorders for the Treo 600. The Personal version is targeted towards consumers and the Professional version is targeted towards doctors, lawyers, and executives using it for professional dictation. Both versions offer one button recording, very small (6 kbps) compressed audio files as well as PCM 8 kHz for higher quality. The Professional version also has a choice of PCM 11, 16 and 22 kHz for very high quality. Files may be stored on either internal memory or on the SD card. The Personal version allows storing audio alarms. Both versions allow recording phone calls either by using the speakerphone (works amazingly well) or by using a Seidio headset (found on Treo Cental). The Professional version offers a dual filing structure (personal recordings and professional recordings), programmable demographics, on-the-fly file encryption, access control, automtic file delivery, automatic file deletion, wireless file sending, editing, bookmarking, etc., etc. Download a free demo at www.audacityaudio.com. A new Professional version is scheduled for release on May 25.

All that for only 99 bucks. I'll wait for SoundRec to evolve, thanks.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I couldn't find a demo to try out.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    The professional package is targeted toward high-end users, i.e. lawyers, doctors, etc. (at least I think). These users need fancy encryption, management capabilities, filing, etc., so Audacity is a good solution. The personal edition is for everyday users, and is a lot cheaper. That said, I personally use SoundRec myself since I don't really need a sound recorder anyways.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    All I need is a quick recorder for ToDo items. SoundRec does the job for me as well.
    I don't think $99 is too much. Consider that a busy professional often needs to make voice notes while driving and then be able to deliver the message. With the Audacity Professional version you can easily record your voice notes while driving and later while not moving it is very easy to go back and flag each message to be e-mailed automatically when you HotSync and run the companion LAM program. In fact you can even enter the destination e-mail address with just a tap or two provided you have it stored in your address book. In addition to the voice message itself you can include information from the auxilliary fileds that the Pro verison supports. Another benefit is the ability to use a higher sampling rate to provide audio suitable for use with voice recognition software.

I will agree that not everyone needs all of this functionality, but then Audacity does offer the Personal Version for those people with less demanding needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizsono
    I will agree that not everyone needs all of this functionality, but then Audacity does offer the Personal Version for those people with less demanding needs.
    Audacity Personal Version - $30
    SoundRec - free (paypal donation)

Sounds like a no-brainer for most of us.