Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In past 3 weeks this happened to me 3 times. All 3 times it happened as I was either plugging Treo 600 into car charger or retractable hot synch cable for USB connection.

What happens is Treo 600 just turns off. I can not get it back on for a few minutes...then I get it back on and its like I just got it...no software, original settings needed to be configured.

Anyone have this issue?

Nick
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    YES! When I connect either my car charger or the USB "Sync n Charge" cable, it will do a reset and make me train the stylus. Subsequently, its like a hard reset with total loss of data.

It never happens on my cradle- I was suspecting that the ends of my charger connectors were getting a short across the pins or something, but that is just a theory...

Guess I need BackupBuddy
    I have discovered that some chargers seem to cross (short) some of the wires on the Treo, or at least that's my guess. I had one of the "yo-yo" sync-charger cables kill my Treo permanently so that I couldn't start it. When I plugged in my external battery, it seemed to straighten the wires and healed it (though it was still a hard reset).

I bought another "yo-yo" and it worked for a while, and then started hard resetting. Seems that you must be ESPECIALLY careful to remove it straight out, no removing it with one side first.

YMMV.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    I just had it happen to me too. I had a hard reset, and then it totally died a few minutes later. I think it's the connector on the Treo, which really blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncasalejr
    In past 3 weeks this happened to me 3 times. All 3 times it happened as I was either plugging Treo 600 into car charger or retractable hot synch cable for USB connection.

What happens is Treo 600 just turns off. I can not get it back on for a few minutes...then I get it back on and its like I just got it...no software, original settings needed to be configured.

Anyone have this issue?

Nick
    It happened to me with the retractable cable. However, it only happened when I plugged in the USB into the computer first and then the phone connection. If I plugged in the phone first then the USB connection, it would work great.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Warning about vehicle power adapters...its in the box now. "Treo 600 is not compliant with most Treo 300 vehicle power adapters". I suppose this includes Treo 600 adapters that were sold with the assumption they were identical to 300 units.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Ironically, it was my old T300 charger that worked the best and never had a failure until the plug COMPLETELY separated from the wires on the Treo connector side.

Why can't anyone make power cables with small connectors like the old T300 chargers? All the new ones have a connector SO BIG that it interferes with my headsets if I want to charge and listen to music (or drive with the earphone) --

I'm not sure which is dummer? Designing two jacks to be too close to each other, or designing connectors too big to work in tandem!

Doh-

I'm getting sick of these hard resets, although I'm getting good at setting the right backup bits now...
    I have the same thing happening now - the Boxwave cable. Worked fine for months but now poof at random - hard reset. It happened to me when I had it on the USB and then into the phone...but yesterday it also happened after I seated the connector and then plugged in the USB. The box wave retractable is "snug" so I am thinking it is the connector - even if the thig is all the way in so u do not risk the side ot side contact it still blew up.

ANyone got a reliable USB cord ?
    It has been happening to me a lot at work too which has caused me to do this work around:

I unplug the USB cable or car charger cable from the "power" and plug it into the bottom of the Treo first! Then I plug in either the USB or the Lighter socket part.
    I have been lurking for too long, so I thought I would get back into the swing of things.......

I also have this problem with the second travel charger that I bought. At first I thought it was a problem with the outlet I was using in my house. When I plug it into one, my Treo resets itself. When I plug it into another outlet in my office, the Treo beeps twice and the light flashes orange. I think that is what is supposed to happen if you use an improper charger. I have ordered a cable from Sprint, but I haven't received it yet.
    Hannibal - are u ordering a USB sync and charge or just a charge cable from sprint?
    I am just ordering a regular charge cable from Sprint. I want to make sure that works first.
    I've had similar problems with some third-party cables. I noticed on two of them that the plastic on the sides of the connectors would start to break off, particularly if the connectors were rocked from side to side when removing them from the Treo. I suspect this causes the "short" that is resetting, especially when inserting the connector at a slight angle. That might explain why it doesn't happen if the connector is inserted into the Treo first, since before there's power, the cable is fully inserted and it isn't ever at an angle where the metal on the sides might hit another pin.

I thought the treo connector might have been damaged, but switching to a new cable has made the problem go away.

I think the plastic used in some of these 3rd party cables is too brittle and breaks too easily. The plastic in the cables from Handspring probably has enough flex to it so that it doesn't break with normal use.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    YES!!! That retractable cord is a POS!!! It came with my treo accesory pack that I got when I bought it from treocentral.com. The retracting mechanism broke after just 3 uses. After a few months, every time I would plug the cable in, it would hard reset.

I purchased the non retractable recharging/synch cable from tc and have had no problems with the T600 hard resetting
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    AHA we have found the issue I believe! I looked at my Boxwave cable and the plastic did break off on the sides so the two little prongs stick out. Nasty. I think I will consider trying to tape those prongs with electrical tape or maybe just buy a TC one
    I get that too from the standard cable that came with treo 600 in th box - typically when I disconnect after charging. Now I only plug in/unplug when power is switched off and switch charger on/off while treo is connected. I've lost too much data too often - its a right pain.
    same difference. I had a boxwave but it reset my phone if I pushed it into far, they replaced that and it worked well for about 6 months until the shotty workmanship became apparrent. First the wire to the usb end started to fray, then the two sides of the phone connector cracked and would cause a hard reset when inserting. I purchased a non retractable aftermarket sync charge cable from compusa and it works perfectly. 20 bux
    Boxwave said they would replace - emailed em and while out ofthe 100 day warranty they said mail it in and they will senda new one. Not bad I guess
    I will have to look at my old cable to see if the plastic broke off. I remember ordering mine from some fly-by-night place becasue everyone else was sold out of them. Lessons learned I guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncasalejr

Anyone have this issue?

Nick
    Yeah. That's why I'm here! It started a few days ago. I am using the OEM charger from the Treo 180 package (the wall charger). Has worked great for 5 months now. I noticed that as I unplugged it with the Treo on was when the hard reset happened. HARD RESET, man! That's not cool. Luckily I was at my desk, and it has happened a few times since.

I experimented with different on/off, plug in, unplug scenarios to try to repeat it, and I can't, not intentionally.
    It is not the charger connector, because I get the same if I plug the charger into the USB cable, and the USB cable into the Treo.
    I am praying it is not the Treo connector, as I don't have a warentee with this unit.(Treo connector looks perfect, nothing bent at all...)

Anyway, what is happening now is that when I plug it in to charge, the charge light goes red, then green, then red...I jiggle the cable, doesn't seem to matter. Then in a few minutes the light is green solid, the icon indicates a full charge and still plugged in, which it is, I unplug it, and then the batt shows half charge. It is simply not charging.
    I have also simply left it plugged in all morning, so it had enough time.

I will fetch the exact cable that came with the 600 from home tonight and try it, else I guess I'll try the batt reset ?

But it would be great if some of you others could come back to us with your found solutions. (ncasalejr, dredribble, phildro)
    Last edited by Rob010101; 09/10/2004 at 07:30 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast