1.    #1  
    I have a bunch of these a68k files on my Treo. Should I delete them or do I need all of them?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I think you can delete some of them. With Uninstall Manager there is a option to delete these files. It usually deletes about 12 out of 28 with me.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I periodically delete them.
    If one is actively in use, you won't be able to.
    I don't focus on them too much, because they're realtively small in size.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Bit more information here- quoted from Uninstall Manager on the subject-

"The 'a68k' database (file) is a special RAM-based database that the Palm OS creates for each application (68K) on your device. This database is created the first time the application is launched, and stays on the device until the application is deleted. Occasionally, you need to perform a soft-reset to delete a particular a68K database. Under certain circumstances an 'a68k' file can remain on your device.
    a68K files are small in size. Normally, you don'y need to worry about these files, but if you want the extra bytes you can use this option. After deleting a a68K cache files, the Palm OS will recreate most of them; this is normal. Not all a68K files can be deleted"

Regards.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    While I'm thinking about it, what are the 1 (2. 3 etc).pdb files I see on backupman?

Uninstall Manager doesn't remove these for me...It says that they cannot be deleted.
    I have quit bugging them cause most of them cannot be deleted.
    Makes no sense to me why an app would leave behind these files if the app itself been deleted. Just adding more junk to your RAM.
    JoJo--try soft resetting your device first. This should allow any orphaned a68k files to be deleted.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Yeah but then I have to soft reset all the time...corect me if I'm wrong, but isn't this bad for the device?
    Or is it that my perception on soft resets has deminish since people talk so badly of a software that makes their Treo reset?
    If you delete them, they will come back when you start running apps. Just leave them alone. They are just going to come back again...
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    Yeah but then I have to soft reset all the time...corect me if I'm wrong, but isn't this bad for the device?
    Or is it that my perception on soft resets has deminish since people talk so badly of a software that makes their Treo reset?
    Soft resetting is fine, I don't think it affects your device. You're right, applications still installed on your Treo will recreate the a68k files. However, if you delete an app from your Treo, sometimes you still can't delete the associated a68K file until after a soft reset. You can't prevent existing apps from creating these files however.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY