Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Is there any software available that will let me use the Treo camera as a webcam when I connect it to my laptop with the usb cable? Any developers want to try and write the software?
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    I would be kinda cool to add that feature to it...

I doubt it would be worth it tho. I can get a really nice WebCam for around $20.00. I doubt that an app for the Treo would come out for much less than that.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i this post would get better responses in the software forums...

but yah, that would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Yes, I know that you can get a cheap webcam, but that would mean having to carry one more thing with your laptop. We already have a camera with our Treo that can capture pictures and video, so all we need is the software. (Plus, with the new firmware, we don't need to carry a microphone too, since the treo can capture sound now.) The Treo would make a good webcam; video and sound in a device that we carry with us all the time.
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    That is true. I did not say it would be a useless idea, but I am not sure how large of a market there is...

But nothing can stop the programmers from trying!!! I mean Look at LightWav...
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    I would use it in a heartbeat right now I have a ftp client on phone where I upload pictures to. funcam is an application that does time lapspictures so you can use that then upload all pictures to ftp server but it's not live.
    Treo 600-Sprint v1.20
    drigout.textamerica.com
    Take a look at this product, it will kind of do what you want:

http://www.mobilityware.com/HandShar...areProduct.htm

Sound is not supported and the current version is probably too slow to really be able to use it. I work for this company and we are currently working on a version of HandShare that has significantly better performance that should be available in a couple of months.

I am not sure how you would get the camera images out of HandShare onto the internet, you could use the recording feature that will save all images to disk.

I suspect that you might not see a true web cam application for quite a while. It is very difficult to rapidly capture the Palm screen and transfer the data over USB.

I tried our version of HandShare that is currently in development on a Treo 600 with the camera application running. I think that the performance might be acceptable for some people. I do not have a web cam so I really do not have anything to benchmark it against.

You can download a trial version from PalmGear or Handango, but keep in mind that the performance will be pretty slow until we release the next version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    Is there any software available that will let me use the Treo camera as a webcam when I connect it to my laptop with the usb cable? Any developers want to try and write the software?
    Hi Luna,

You may want to have a look in this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52439