1.    #1  
    hi all

i have a problem, hope you can help.

i have just had my treo replaced, infact the new unit arrived 10mins ago.
    i got it replaced because when i plugged in my stereo headset the sound still came out the phones internal speaker. (for both voice calls and mp3/video).

the new unit has just arrved and its doing the same thing. can anyone tell me if im doing something stupidly wrong here. i though that when you plugged the headset in sound should automatically switch to headphones. does this happen on your treo?

interestingly when you press the small PTT button on the headset sound does come out the headset, but suely this is the wrong way round. ie. if i wanted to listen to mp3s i would have to keep the PTT button on the headset constantly depressed.

a quick response would be a massive help.

thanks

alex
  2.    #2  
    BTTT

15 views but no response.

please ppl all i need to know is the headset works in your phone without having to press any buttons
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hi Alex,

If I remember correctly the crappy mono-bud head phone you get with the phone works like this. You can only hear MP3 when you press the button in. I'm using my old Nokia 8310 head phones as they have the required 2.5mm jack- you do not have to depress the button with this.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  4. Jeb
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Have a little patience with the replies. You'll receive some soon. In the meantime, make sure that your headphones are plugged in ALL the way. You may have to shave a small bit of the plastic off of the plug to get it to sit snugly.
  5.    #5  
    hi, thx 4 the response

im using sony ericsson stereo headset at the mo as that has the required 2.5mm jack. its plugged in all the way.

interestingly the headset that was shipped with the treo does not have a PTT bud. it works ok on calls, but doesnt work at all in ptunes etc (even though i have experimented with all the settings and speaker setups.)

cheers for any more thoughts you might have.
    Wait a second... I'm replacing my whole reply here. Which stero headphone set are you using? If it is a standard one, which headphone plug adapter are your using? It sure sounds like your adapter isn't contacting far enough into the output port.

Is your 600 in a case? Is the case not allowing the plug to go far enough in?
  7.    #7  
    hi, ok ill try to explain as clear as i can.

the original mono headset supplied with the treo - this does not have a PTT button. plugs all the way in, works fine in handsfree calls, refuses to work at all in ptunes etc.

so im using my stereo headset from my SE P900. this has a 2.5mm jack and a PTT button. i am only able to hear sounds from the treo when the PTT button is depressed. this seems odd to me - surely it should work the other way round.

im not using a case, and the plugs are going all the way in to the jack, with a reassuring click as it reaches 'full insertion'.

is something up with the treo? surely i shouldnt have to depress the button to listen to music.
    I think I have an idea, but I may be wrong...

The problem you are having has something to do with resistance. The headset you are using is not registering enough resistance to the Treo to be seen as "headphones" for music. However, all phone calls thru the headset work perfectly. The button adds resistance, therefore when it's pressed all the time, you can listen to music.

The proper setup for a headset that can perform both functions is displayed by Seidio. They make a 2 in 1 headset specifically for the Treo 600. It has a builtin in switch. The switch goes from Music to Phone. In Music, the headset is a stereo headphone. In Phone, the headset is a handsfree headset for calls. It also has the button to answer calls. Evidently, the switch is there to add some type of resistance so that the Treo 600 can properly register the headset.

If someone else could explain this a little better for me please... just trying to help. I may not be 100% correct on this...
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland216
    I think I have an idea, but I may be wrong...

The problem you are having has something to do with resistance. The headset you are using is not registering enough resistance to the Treo to be seen as "headphones" for music. However, all phone calls thru the headset work perfectly. The button adds resistance, therefore when it's pressed all the time, you can listen to music.

The proper setup for a headset that can perform both functions is displayed by Seidio. They make a 2 in 1 headset specifically for the Treo 600. It has a builtin in switch. The switch goes from Music to Phone. In Music, the headset is a stereo headphone. In Phone, the headset is a handsfree headset for calls. It also has the button to answer calls. Evidently, the switch is there to add some type of resistance so that the Treo 600 can properly register the headset.

If someone else could explain this a little better for me please... just trying to help. I may not be 100% correct on this...
    you're correct. I had the same "problem" at first.
    The headset that comes with the treo can only be used to make phonecalls. You should use a normal headset (i.e. one from a walkman) to listen to music.

And now for my attempt at an explanation.
    The way the treo destinguishes between the handsfree and the headset is to measure the resistance.
    A handsfree only got one speaker so it has a lower resistance than a headset, which makes the difference. If you press the button you add some resistance to it and you can trick the treo into thinking it's a headset.

The sollution to your problem is to get an adapter that will allow you to use a normal 3.5mm headset with the 2.5mm connection in the treo. Or alternatively you can do as i did and sacrifice any 2.5mm handsfree and solder the wires to the 3.5mm headset.

hope this helps
    water created humans to carry it up hills
    Get the adapter which various people sell. It allows you to use any regular headphone in the smaller jack. John
    yep - bottom line is that you're trying to use a phone earbud to listen to music, and that won't work. You need to use, as stated above, MP3-type or walkman type earbuds to be able to listen to music thru the 600. As you likely know, those types of earbuds have a 3.5mm jack, and won't fit directly in the 600's headset jack. A couple of solutions exist: As stated above, get an adapter, or get some music headsest that have made to work with the 600's 2.5mm jack. Seidio makes a couple (one that alternates btw phone & music mode), and there are others out there as well. Hunt around in the accessories forum - you should be all set.
    Try the Seido 2 in 1 headset.
    I was using my mono headphone with ptunes, and it didn't work unless I depress my ptt button. I hope this wont be a problem for stereo head phones from palmone for the treo 600.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    The oem headset will only play music if you hold the button in. Alot of the headsets available do not work well with the Treo, they dont seem to insert far enough into the unit. The siedo headset,AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $has$ $a$ $switch$ $on$ $it$ $which$ $essientially$ $is$ $the$ $same$ $as$ $holding$ $the$ $button$ $in$ $on$ $the$ $OEM$ $one$. $Man$, $that$ $sucks$ $that$ $you$ $sent$ $a$ $perfectly$ $good$ $unit$ $back$. $LOL$

Hope this helps.
    This is not as straight forward as you think. I have tested 2 different Treo600's with the 1. stereo headset adapter sold by Palmone and 2. the same item purchase from a 3rd party. Neither Treo works using the stereo headphones. Interesting, I tested this using a car tape player adapter and it played great music over my car stereo.
    So, I guess it's ok if I tape or rubberband the button of the OEM headset and just use that as a headphone when I go to the gym with my treo?

Will that be ok? Just to keep it depressed with tape.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddietreo
    So, I guess it's ok if I tape or rubberband the button of the OEM headset and just use that as a headphone when I go to the gym with my treo?

Will that be ok? Just to keep it depressed with tape.

PaperClip