Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    zlauncher.
    it's inexpensive.
    you can customize where you have tabs, if you have tabs, whether the tabs are words or icons or both.
    you can put a different background for each category.
    you can activate long press center button to access the system menu (key feature!), such as copy app, move app to card or to a different category, send to trash, etc.
    I have no need for the stylus when it comes to utilizing zlauncher.

I think my customization is pretty clean and attractive.
    The total package is by far the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    uh, excuse the banner in the middle; i'm in the trial version of quicktake! those white bars are not actually on my screen!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    zlauncher.
    it's inexpensive.
    you can customize where you have tabs, if you have tabs, whether the tabs are words or icons or both.
    you can put a different background for each category.
    you can activate long press center button to access the system menu (key feature!), such as copy app, move app to card or to a different category, send to trash, etc.
    I have no need for the stylus when it comes to utilizing zlauncher.
    And just to make clear an item on the pro-ZLauncher side of the balance sheet: EVERYTHING can be done easily without the stylus. Particularly launching apps in different categories. The five-way is FULLY supported and supported in--dare I say it?--intuitive ways.
    there must be somehting wrong with my configuration then cause the five-way doesn't really work at all. and i'm sorry, but i still find those screen shots to be unattractive. the small icons are really distorted and ugly, and the aliasing of the icons over the background looks bad. maybe everything looks better on high res, but i can't imagine it being too much better. it just seems like everything to do with zlauncher is made by programs and not designers. like I said, it's just my personal preference and I equate it to the difference between mac and pc. i just personally couldn't stand to look at a windows computer all day, even if it means I pay more to have less options when it comes to software selection and features. the mac (and launcher x) do everything I need and more, in a nice, clean attractive package. and 90% of the world use windows, just like most treo users prefer zlauncher. :-)
    How bout this?

If your wondering why some common software is missing, I use SmartLauncher (soon to be fully 5 way) and Bob's Popup Launch for them, and McPhling for DA's.

This setup also works OK with the tabs on the left if you need more room or something. They would scroll right and left anyway. I like them at the bottom so there is more room for the pic, plus I can hit a tab easily with my finger and then the first letter of app, or just scroll and hit 5 way center.

BTW this will also work with dark images, just set all the text colors to white.
    Last edited by ThirdType; 05/22/2004 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more info, better/smaller pics
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I tried LauncherX, HiLauncher and ZLauncher and finally settled on ZLauncher. Seems to be pretty balanced in terms of functionality, customization and price. I actually found ZLauncher's 5-way support to be better than LauncherX's.
    Treo 600 GSM
    I just downloaded "Today". It's good, but it tells me I have 30 unread messages. If I tap it, nothing happens. I tried to set the messages to go to Business Connection, but that causes a soft reset. Can you use Today with Biz Connection? I'm wondering where it gets the idea I have 30 unread messages.
    Jean
  8.    #28  
    With WASSUP I had the same issue. The fix is this: Both apps look at ANY unready msg therefore if you get spam and delete it before you open the mail msg, then the application will count that msg.
    delete your trash and all will be well
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    I uninstalled Hi-launcher and now go with zLauncher and McPhling.

I just bought zLauncher this week- great file manager (can get rid of FileZ), and the best part is its ability to package and move apps and all database files to my SD Card. The Move to Card feature freed up 15 meg of internal memory. Apps Hotsync and work just fine. All for $10. Not bad.
    I use zluancher but I still use FilZ primarily for the file Filter function which the Zlauncher file manager does not have. I also use McPhling b/c Qlaunch still does nto support activation via thumbboard unlike McPhling...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I started with Launcher X, but then decided to switch to ZLauncher. Here are some examples of my setup:
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Real-ity
    Scotty, could you post a screenshot of your zlauncher setup?
    Here's mine...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Is the center button on the 5 way navigator supposed to work in Z Launcher? If so anyone know how to get it to work? Mine will simply scroll through the apps but I cannot select an app or even directly highlight an app.
    FreePour, do you have VolumeRocker or TreoNavSet installed? They interfere with 5 way use in ZLauncher, Pocket-Tunes, etc.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    ThirdType, Great catch! TreoNavSet was exactly the problem. Thanks alot! Now Zlauncher definately gets my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePour
    ThirdType, Great catch! TreoNavSet was exactly the problem. Thanks alot! Now Zlauncher definately gets my vote.
    Also, don't forget to set the center of the 5-way to launch the category list. That makes it even more convenient imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Ive noticed a lot of resets when chanigng certain settings in Zlauncher. If i change where I want the tabs to go (top,Bottom,side,etc...) it will reset once I enter the change. Once I took gfunkmagic's advice to set the center button to launch the categories list it reset too. It always returns to normal and the settings did change so I guess there's not that much to worry about. I'm just curious about whether or not anyone else has this problem. I really like the launcher though, so I guess I will have to get it set up the way I want it and leave it as to avoid so many resets.
    Gfunk, others, help! What is this launcher stuff all about? I have T-Mobile but I think the applications opening menu comes from Palm/Handspring. I have no problems with it. Why should a user get one of the launchers mentioned in this thread?

Why refer to gfunk out of the chute. Sentimental reason. I think he was the very first responder to a newbie problem I had back in early March 2004, if my memory serves. I solved my problem then and I appreciate the help.

Anyway, responses to this will be appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I have emailed T-Mobile that I do not want my cell phone number in any national directory or any T-Mobile directory. I read where a national directory is coming soon. So far, T-Mobile has not asked if okay to release my name and number. Well, it aint okay. I hope others here complain to their provider, particularly if T-Mobile. May 22, 2004 AustexTreo600, Austin, Texas
    Another vote for zlauncher I have tried them all none compare. Remember it is a PDA so it is up to your own personal preferences.
    Cash----
    Hey Cash that looks pretty good, what theme is that?
    I have the Windows theme and it doesn't look like that.

Scotty---
    Yours looks very nice too. I think I have that theme as well.

One question, you see that icon that Pickem is using, can I change that icon?
    I have a lot of stuff with that type of icon (box) and would rather change it to something else but don't know how. Why does some app (or whatever they are) use that particular icon?

Also, it's quite easy getting themes but far harder to get icons (free)...I only have one set of icon.

Here is mine...
    As you can see I have a lot of the 'box' icons.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    Cash----
    Hey Cash that looks pretty good, what theme is that?
    I have the Windows theme and it doesn't look like that.
    Thanks...I am using the Windows XP Low Res for zlauncher. However, I am using a different background that was not included with the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    One question, you see that icon that Pickem is using, can I change that icon? I have a lot of stuff with that type of icon (box) and would rather change it to something else but don't know how. Why does some app (or whatever they are) use that particular icon?
    I don't think that those icons can be changed, but I could be wrong.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast