1.    #1  
    VersaMail starting in 2.6 made a reasonable mail reader. Does IMAP with SSL. Deals reasonably with the large number of messages I have. The problems I have are as a mail sender.

In VersaMail 2.6, SMTP AUTH doesn't quite work right. There's no SSL, either, which is merely annoying.

It's supposed to send EHLO computer.name
    get a capabilities list, then send:
    AUTH PLAIN
    get a
    and then send
    the result of base 64 encoding the string:
    authname\0username\0password
    (where \0 is a NULL). Instead it appears to send my authname and username in plaintext.

Fine, so we move on to VersaMail 2.7. It *does* support SMTP SSL (STARTTLS in this case). With SSL enabled, it sends EHLO COM, STARTTLS, gets a certificate back, and then loses. With SSL disabled (but AUTH enabled) it gets the mail server banner, and never sends EHLO, and thus not surprisingly times out.

So the question I have is, are any of you using VersaMail 2.7 with SMTP AUTH or more importantly also SMTP SSL enabled? With what mail server? I'm guessing it's a configuration thing, but I tried: personal CA-signed certificate; CA-signed certificate with a well-known parent, and self-signed certificate.
    2.6 and 2.7? The only copy of Versamail i've ever seen is 2.5. I just searched and couldn't find anything higher anywhere.

Where did you purchase this? I've been using 2.5 for a while.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Real-ity
    2.6 and 2.7? The only copy of Versamail i've ever seen is 2.5. I just searched and couldn't find anything higher anywhere.

Where did you purchase this? I've been using 2.5 for a while.
    2.6 is "look for someone selling a ruined Tungsten".
    2.7 is "got wife a Zire 72" (I sure didn't need one).

She's not using Versamail, so I put it on mine to try.
    Ruined Tungstens are cheap, if you can find em. I doubt you'll find a ruined Zire any time soon; they're what, 3 weeks old?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrashear
    Fine, so we move on to VersaMail 2.7. It *does* support SMTP SSL (STARTTLS in this case). With SSL enabled, it sends EHLO COM, STARTTLS, gets a certificate back, and then loses. With SSL disabled (but AUTH enabled) it gets the mail server banner, and never sends EHLO, and thus not surprisingly times out.

So the question I have is, are any of you using VersaMail 2.7 with SMTP AUTH or more importantly also SMTP SSL enabled? With what mail server? I'm guessing it's a configuration thing, but I tried: personal CA-signed certificate; CA-signed certificate with a well-known parent, and self-signed certificate.
    Someone suggested the SSL certificate needed to match the DNS hostname of the server and not that you connected to (e.g. the SSL cert name matching a CNAME wasn't enough) so I changed my DNS config and tried it. No luck.

Surely it works for someone; I'm still wondering who.