Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know. I won't be home for anothe six hours though... =(
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    ...and then there were three...
    I hope you won't hate me for such not so smart question but I just got my treo600 yesterday. I have been reading almost everything in this form and wanted to ask you guys about the updater from P1 website before I do it:

1- I bought this phone from E-Bay. A GSM unlocked phone.
    2- My phone is a Cingular phone, I know this because Cingular logo are displayed when I switch the phone on or off
    3- The phone is unlocked since I used it with Rogers Wireless in Canada (My rogers SIM card works fine)
    4- I typed the #*#*777# on the phone and hit Dial. I got "The SIM lock was removed from this phone"
    5- The phone info display as follow:
    S/W: 106-CNG
    F/W: 2.02
    Hardware: B

I would like to update to the new F/W so here is my questions:

1- which one to use the new updater at P1 website for Cingular or for "Other carriers"?
    2- If I used the Cingular update would this by any chance lock the phone? as I have no idea if the phone came originally unlocked from Cingular or it has been unlocked by the guy who owned the phone before me (He didn't replay to my e-mails)
    3- Would "Other Carriers" update (i.e. ROW) be better to use as I travel a lot. And if so would that work with Cingular phone or I should change the F/W sitting with Tokenwriter?

I haven't put any data on my Treo yet (I'm a palm pilot user) I would like to do that after I update the F/W.

Thanks a million guys.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have done it! I installed the 3.05 cingular update from palmone and it went flawlessly. I have an unlocked cingular from the very first batch that was used from day one with at&t. I don't see a lot of differences, camera seems the same, sound app is just that a very basic sound app. I do notice that when I use the speakerphone there is no echo. That is a plus. Other than that pretty un-eventful

greg
    Greg, did you use Tokenwriter?
    And what type of updater you used? the Cingular updater or "Other Carrier" updater?
    Did you had to change any of the setting. It would be great if you could give me some details.
    I also did the upgrade from CROW 3.04 to CNG 3.05 today. The first time I tried, I ended up in an endless loop of rebooting since I forgot to turn off Radio Control, which was trying to turn on the phone during the upgrade process.

I used TokenWriter to change INT to CNG, and the upgrade process after that went flawlessly. I notice that the echo seems to be gone, and I'm quite happy about that!
  8. brf
    I just finished running the Cingular update...It was flawless. Took about 6 minutes.
    This is my first 600, I got it in January and it has had no problems(Hardware B). I got it thru Cingular and it is unlocked.
    I backed up my data with a hotsync and on sd card with BackupBuddy, then did a hard reset and created a new hotsync name. I installed the update, did another hard reset and restored from my sd card.
    No problems at all. everything works great. I have Graffiti Anywhere (using graffiti 1), MarknDial, Sandman, TreoButler, TreoAlertManager, Word Complete, 2phone, Aqua overlay, and TimeSync. I disabled all of these before my backup and then reenabled them after the restore and all are working together fine.
    Made and recieved a few calls and the audio on earpiece and speakerphone sound great. Camera looks better than before, I had lots of blue dots, now they are noticably less. SMS works as before, no problems, typed over 160 characters and it automaticaly split it into 2 messages. Phone seems to turn on and off a little faster and GPRS seems faster too. As for reception, i always get full bars at home so i'll have to wait till tomorrow at work to tell if that has improved.
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i tried twice and could not get the upgrade to work. after i downloaded the prc. the following message popped up,"are you sure you want to access this file? the full file name was not displayed." i continued the download anyway and when i tried the first reset the screen would continually go from the palm logo, the cingular icon, and blank. both times this happened and after 15 minutes of this i did hard resets to restore the treo to it's original settings. i am a "ham and egger" at this sort of thing but i did everything right.
    morris stalk
    Hey Guys,
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo. But I am using t-mobile, is this the firmware upgrade I use? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by dskpl98; 05/20/2004 at 09:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I did not use tokenwriter as my treo is a factory unlocked cingular unit. I was 99% sure that flashing it would not lock it. The upgrade was easy and I have had zero problems with the restore. I use launcherX and had heard that I might have to re-install it, but the restored version works fine.

As far as settings I followed the instruction on palmone's site. It worked as described. I think the key is applying the correct version. I feel for those that had to unlock with all the patches etc. It was so much nicer to have an unlocked unit to start with and apply the correct version and have no real worries. If it had gone bad, I would have called P1 and asked for an RMA since I am in warranty. My advice is apply the version that matches your treo unless you have unlocked it yourself, then I would take careful note of what the experts here are doing and do that. I hope it works out for all. I'd hate to have messed up my little baby. I'd have a tough time convincing my wife that I needed another... cause I messed this one up!

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!

greg
    Last edited by Templar; 05/20/2004 at 09:44 PM.
    I had some problems with applications causing a soft reset but then figured out it had to do with syncing my apps and copying in some phone files from the old firmware. I heartily recommend not reinstalling apps thru a hot sync and rather through a BackupMan file by file!
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I think I've discovered the file that caused my endless soft reset loop upon installing the 3.05.

For some reason, I had a Phone.prc file that I didn't need that conflicted with the ROM. I deleted the Phone.prc and lo and behold....it worked great.

If you are a Webviewer user, its not a bad idea to have that Java Installer file on your SD card too!
  14. brf
    Quote Originally Posted by dskpl98
    Hey Guys,
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo. But I am using t-mobile, is this the firmware upgrade I use? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

dskpl98, I think I would use the Cingular upgrade, there is a little link at the bottom of the palmOne Treo 600 updater page that says "Did you switch carriers?" It says: "However, if you started out with one provider, and then switched to a different one, please use the Treo 600 Updater version for your original provider (not your current one). "

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...0_updater.html
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    Quote Originally Posted by dskpl98
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks
    Yes. I also have a Cingular phone/T-Mo service & used this one with no problems (so far)!

Michael
    nope, upgrades are not for me....i treid it didnt go thorugh, i counted my blessings and after a hard rerset returned to my original firmare, luckily it didnt go through! paanicked for a few minutes though....if it aint broke dont fix it i say, still with hardware b 1.11 firmaware 02.12 and lovin it!
    rock on!
    Is this "official" P1 update include the feature to enable voice recording?

Thanks.
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Yes
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Yes
    cool Thanks!
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600