1.    #1  
    Can you do this? Or do the books need to be converted to another format? If they do, what tool can I use for this?
    I've listened to several audible books in mp3 format with no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    I've listened to several audible books in mp3 format with no problem.
    Actual books from Audible.com or are you just referring to audio books? I was under the impression that you need the Audible player to listen to all Audible content. I believe the player is free but books/periodicals have a fee. I highly recommend the service.
    Yes, you can--as an MP3.

It requires a program called Goldwave.

" Does GoldWave support Audible files?
    GoldWave does not support Audible files directly, but it can open and convert them if the Windows Media Player decoder is installed. You can download the Media Player decoder from Audible's website or try playing the file in Windows Media Player (which should install the decoder). You will need to reset the file in the Audible Manager program to get decoding to start at the beginning (otherwise part of the beginning may be missing)."

It requires one of your Audible activations, and a bit of work. The effort is worth it though--simply open the .aa file (the book you downloaded using the Audible Manager), convert and save as an MP3--break it up if you choose to do so for navigation ease. Then you don't have to use the Audible Player. I really don't mind though--it's never been a problem for me.
    All this is well and good, and don't get me wrong, I love Pocket Tunes... but..

Why do you want to do this? The Audible Player for the Treo is actually pretty good (and most of the bugs that made it crash are long gone), For Audio Books, it is actually better than PTunes, because it remembers where you left off.
    I agree with Druce for books from audible.com (thought the thread was for all audio books) why even bother converting to mp3. Audible even lists the Treo 600 directly as a supported device.

https://www.audible.com/adbl/store/d...6760056#other4

"The Treo 600 is a small smartphone with a built-in QWERTY keyboard. It combines a full-featured mobile phone and Palm OS organizer with wireless communication applications like e-mail, messaging, and web browsing. An SD/MMC expansion slot allows for added memory. The Treo 600 comes with 32MB of internal memory and supports Audible Formats 2 and 3. When a call comes in, the AudiblePlayer automatically pauses and starts up when the call is done! "
    If Pockettunes would be able to do this, then it would my all in one audio device. I wish pTunes could play audible files and just like audible player, remember where you left off and have the album art as well, well for audiobooks, Bookcover artwork
    Ex...626,

Is your original post confined to Audible.com or audiobooks in general? I note (since some may not realize) that many public libraries now have free download capability through NetLibrary or Overdrive. Even if your local library does not offer the service you can join almost any library as a non-resident for a small annual fee (tyically $25-$30). I'm sure the Audible.com service is fantastic, but the price difference ($20/mo. v. free) is too great to ignore.

Also, PTunes Deluxe does automatically bookmark (you'll also need Deluxe to get library downloads).
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne View Post
    Ex...626,

Is your original post confined to Audible.com or audiobooks in general? I note (since some may not realize) that many public libraries now have free download capability through NetLibrary or Overdrive. Even if your local library does not offer the service you can join almost any library as a non-resident for a small annual fee (tyically $25-$30). I'm sure the Audible.com service is fantastic, but the price difference ($20/mo. v. free) is too great to ignore.

Also, PTunes Deluxe does automatically bookmark (you'll also need Deluxe to get library downloads).

Great Information. I went to my library's website and sure enough they use Overdrive. I downloaded it and my first audiobook for playing in PT4 deluxe. It works great but I noticed now when I try to use fileZ to see information it freezes during the memory card scan tree expand and I have to soft re-set on the 700p. If I don't have the card in, no problem. Any idea why fileZ would do this? It's started immediately with the adding of a downloaded overdrive audiobook. No mistaking that relationship.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I downloaded a book from my library with Overdrive. I was able to get WMP 11, 700p Sprint, and pTunes 4.02 to talk to each other. But when I try to sync (with WMP and pTunes not HotSync) I get the following error
    "It is not possible to obtain device's certificate. Please contact the device manufacturer for a firmware update or for other steps to resolve this problem."
    Am I missing a step or are the 700p and Overdrive not compatible?
    Does audible.com support the Treo Pro. I can't get the free download to work with either Itunes or my Pro. any suggestions?
    You should be able to access via their OTA Audible Air program since it supports so many different cellphones and smartphones. Since the Treo Pro is a Windows Mobile device, I am thinking (I'm not sure) that you may be able to download and install the same setup file for the Treo 750. Once you get it installed, you should be able to listen to it.

http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/au...es&aa=download
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I'm confused. Is there a way to play OverDrive WMA files on a Treo 755p? If so, do I need to purchase anything?
    From what I see, the only Palm device supported is the Treo 700wx which is a Pocket PC/Windows Mobile device. Since the 755p is a Palm OS device, it may be unlikely.

You may want to try and see if Pocket Tunes can play the wma file on your 755p. But, it's quite likely that the Overdrive files may have DRM so it may not play. I don't know. I don't use Overdrive.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriel View Post
    I'm confused. Is there a way to play OverDrive WMA files on a Treo 755p? If so, do I need to purchase anything?
    Yes it will play on the 755p. I do that all the time with my local library which uses Overdrive WMA files. You need PocketTunes Deluxe 4 (or the new version 5) to make it work with the DRM. Here's the link to a Normsoft's knowledge base article on this subject: How do I transfer files to my Palm device using Overdrive?

Btw, my library also recently started adding audiobooks in the Overdrive MP3 format. They will play on any MP3 software on the 755p since no DRM is involved.

Cheers.
    Last edited by STBXXL; 04/11/2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
    Thank you so much for the info!!! I really appreciate it!