Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    i like to purchase a TREO600. I'm travelling a lot.
    Has the Treo a 'flight-mode' ? How can the cellphone unit being switched off, so that I can use the PDA software during the flight ?????

pls help
    The wireless switch is on the top end of the phone. You can turn it on or off at your discretion while leaving the PDA functions active.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mustard
    The wireless switch is on the top end of the phone. You can turn it on or off at your discretion while leaving the PDA functions active.
    Hey that's great. It was my last doubt about the 600.
    Thanks for this speedy answer.
    Greetings to Singapore, its been a while when I was there !

reg from Germany
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Yes, you can turn off the wireless mode, but any flight attendant that sees the antenna on that will probably ask you to turn it off and put it away. Most of them have no clue that you can turn off the wireless part. I just wanted to warn you.

Joe
    Yes, there is a long thread from about a week or two ago about the issues of using a Treo onboard an airplane. Just turn the wireless mode off, and discreetly cover the antenna with your thumb while you're using it and all should be well.

Regards,
    Mike
    I have used my Treo300, and now my Treo 600 (since last November) on about 15 flights on American. Never had a problem yet. However, in the last few months the flight attendant, in her pre-flight announcements, specifically mentions that if you have a wireless pda/cell phone, that to make sure that the wireless portion is off. Never a hassle so far.
    I haven't had an issue either. I'll usually have it hooked up to the portable keyboard though, most flight attendants have assumed it's just a PDA.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    ive read in a few threads on here and on hofo, that flight attendants may not know the wireless portion is off. IE if they see an antenna, they think it is bad. Thats why many people do not have a problem with a blackberry..

So yeah you should/wil be fine, but you may get technological illiterate fight attendant one day
    I've been told on several Southwest flights that I can't use my Treo 600 - they just say it's FAA regulations that haven't been updated yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by tjma
    I've been told on several Southwest flights that I can't use my Treo 600 - they just say it's FAA regulations that haven't been updated yet...
    Must have had a different flight crew than me.
    I just took a couple Southwest flights last week with no problems.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tjma
    if it has not been documented yet, it is not the regulation yet?

just my thoughts
    Flew SouthWest airlines last week. No problem on either flight. TREO'd all the way there and back. Wireless mode off of course.

Per another thread here, United, as usual, is a POS airline and has issues with the TREO. My recommendation: Screw United.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    if it has not been documented yet, it is not the regulation yet?

just my thoughts
    Don't expect it to be "updated." Electronic equipment used on board aircraft have to be certified. The certification process is very expensive and nobody has a reason to perform it for a Treo 600. Nobody knows whether it will interfere with the aircraft's electronics, so you turn it off rather than becoming an unwitting participant on a test flight with 200 other hapless souls.

As an Captain for a major airline, I have had no problems on board when I have forgotten and left my treo 600 on ( other than a dead battery on the treo as it tries to acquire coverage at 500 + MPH ). But the Nextel phones do affect our VHF radios.

Just assure the Flight Attendents that it is not emitting any signal and ask her to check with the Captain. Most pilots enjoy gadgets as much as anyone on this board and will be glad to assist. If that does not work, simply turn it off. In today's security paranoid World, you don't want to cross a flight crew member.

Regards,
    Prof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proflig8tor
    Just assure the Flight Attendents that it is not emitting any signal and ask her to check with the Captain. Most pilots enjoy gadgets as much as anyone on this board and will be glad to assist. If that does not work, simply turn it off. In today's security paranoid World, you don't want to cross a flight crew member.

Regards,
    Prof.
    That is exactly what I do if there are any questions. Twice I have asked the flight attendants to check with the Captain. On one of those occasions I even ended up showing the phone to the Captain and everything that I could do with it once we landed.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Hi,

Unfortunately Singapore Airlines does not allow the use of PDA smartphones on board. I have been "advised" not to use it. So much for high technology.

Regards - Gary
    When I use my Treo on planes, I usually keep the stylus in my hand. When the waitress, I mean "flight attendant", walks by then I start tapping on the screen (whether I need to or not). I have never had a problem. I guess they see stylus and think PDA (not phone). With the Treo, it's so easy to never use the stylus. However, using the stylus makes it look less like a phone IMO.
    ishiffrin, good for the American flight attendant who showed some common sense and good for American Airlines. Maybe I will start flying them again. I stopped after the morons in charge decided to charge extra for "scuba gear" last year, claiming it required additional handling. They tried to charge us extra last summer when we flew to the BVI. My wife, daughter and I only had mask, fins, snorkels, lycras, 'chicken vests,' small ikelights, etc in our checked bags with our clothes. No tanks, weights or even our BCD's or regulators. Exactly how they think that would require extra handling I have no clue and neither did they. But I was ready for them as there had been a lot of complaints on a scuba board about their written policy which was as poorly and ineptly written as Southwest's policy about smartphones. We did NOT have to pay! And they gave me no trouble on the return fight. I like having that JD after my name, it comes in handy from time to time to deal with the ignorant and officious.

MovieGene. Wish I could say the same. I posted about two Southwest attendants I had to put up with not long ago in a recent thread about this subject. But the issue has had me too aggravated to return to the thread since I posted about that horror. Before that occasion and every flight since I have had no problem using my Treo on Southwest but those two really got me more ticked off about their attitude than their ignorance. Now I just stick the Treo out of sight and use my headset to listen to Audible books. I guess they think I am using an MP3 player.

Proflig8tor, exactly how do the Nextel phones affect your VHF radios? Can you be more specific regarding the equipment affected. I am also a pilot although it is not my occupation but I have been flying in the general aviation sector since I got out of the Army 34 years ago. Fixed Wing, Rotary Wing and Glider (should be Sailplane, get with it FAA; Sailplanes [Speed Astir II 15 meter, love the Minden Wave Camp] soar and Gliders, well they glide, but I don't know anyone who flies a "Glider") I have NEVER has an incident in which any type of cell phone, including Nextel has affected my radios or navigation equipment. And as far as I know there has still not been a documented incident, only speculation by some who should know better than to continue to give life to this urban myth. When Aviation Safety publishes a documented test or confirmation I'll believe it, not until then.

tjma, next time you get that excuse ask them to specify the regulation that has not been updated yet! That is nothing more than a convient coverup for their ignorance. However do not expect to get the reg. They can't give it to you. There is NO regulation which prohibits the Treo 600 from being used during flight as long as it is in 'wireless mode off.' That said, you will still have to put away your Treo because as we all know there is NO way to turn the Treo OFF in the manner the flight attendants expect. The only thing we CAN DO is to push the little button for 'wireless mode off.' Which is the state my Treo was in when I had the experience I described in detail on a previous thread about this subject.

Tiger Beer, just did a round trip on Thai Air and no problem. And did some local while there on Cathay and Malaysia and no problem. But I have learned to keep the Treo out of sight.

I'd go back and correct the spelling and grammer but this subject just P_____s me off too much.

Those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither. Ben Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Beer
    Hi,

Unfortunately Singapore Airlines does not allow the use of PDA smartphones on board. I have been "advised" not to use it. So much for high technology.

Regards - Gary
    In Dec, I took Singapore Airlines from SFO to HKG. When I sat down and was having some wine, then pulled out my phone and wanted to call someone, I was told I would have to step out the flight to use the phones. Not sure why it is different than any other airlines I have taken before.

Well, I did what I was told. but just wondered why thou.
    I do not think it has anything to affect to the equirment even thought I was in the first class?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    In Dec, I took Singapore Airlines from SFO to HKG. When I sat down and was having some wine, then pulled out my phone and wanted to call someone, I was told I would have to step out the flight to use the phones. Not sure why it is different than any other airlines I have taken before.

Well, I did what I was told. but just wondered why thou.
    I do not think it has anything to affect to the equirment even thought I was in the first class?
    They are quite polite to ask me to stop using the PDA phone. I even spoke to the Flight Supervisor. They would have to be "extra nice" to First Class and Raffles (Biz) Class passengers.

I do not blame the Fight Attendants but the ignorant people who makes such "kiasu" (every safe) policy. Other than this, everything is perfect.

(A Singaporean who despite this flies SQ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Beer
    They are quite polite to ask me to stop using the PDA phone. I even spoke to the Flight Supervisor. They would have to be "extra nice" to First Class and Raffles (Biz) Class passengers.

I do not blame the Fight Attendants but the ignorant people who makes such "kiasu" (every safe) policy. Other than this, everything is perfect.

(A Singaporean who despite this flies SQ)
    they were very polite but they still did not allow me to use the phone (not a pda phone) in the flight even i sat in the first class.
    oh well..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast