1.    #1  
    I just got a Treo600 with GoodLink software installed for synching with my office Outlook system. However, I would prefer to use the Palm native date and address book for those 2 functions (while still using Good for email synchronization)

Is there any way to get the native versions to work without uninstalling GoodLink? Ideally, I would like to have both the Palm and Good Address and date books working simultaneously. At worst, I would be willing to sacrifice the Good versions but still need to have the Good email (interestingly my treo does have both the native Treo and the Good email versions working).

Also, interestingly, using DbExplorer, it seems that the native Palm date and address books may still actually be installed, but somehow are hidden from the UI.

Any thoughts?
    For some bizarre reason it appears that Good replaced the native Palm address and calendar functions. We have yet to find a way around it.
    I'm going to try deleting Good piece by piece to see what happens.
    I'll keep you posted.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Okay. I think I've got this down. I just got it going for the second time after the Sprint update.
    Interestingly enough, GoodLink used to support this, but they don't anymore, they claim the databases get corrupted.
    But it's been working fine for me, for about two weeks now.

First of all, this is all at your own risk, I'm glad to share my knowledge, but if you blow away a db or functionality, you're on your own.

So the goal is two sets of databases. Address, Calendar, Todo, Memo.
    The emails are totally separate anyway, and no action is needed there.
    (I use the GoodLink app for my work db's and the native ones for personal.)

The databases are intact after the GoodInstall, you just can't see them.

First, you can map the buttons back to the native apps if you like. (Use the Buttons tab of the Prefs app)

Then there are two remaining issues.

The contacts app is remapped to GoodLink however you get to it.
    To get it back, delete or rename the following file on the pda:
    GoodAddressBookApp.prc (I use FileZ and moved it to a glsave directory on my SD card).

The other more stubborn issue is that my datebook sync to Palm Desktop only went one way, from PDA to Desktop.
    After much experimenting, to fix that, move/del/ren Date Book.prc.
    (GoodLink overlays the native app, I guess, which is still in ROM.)

(To further tax my Treo, I'm also using Chatter for my personal email.
    And as much as people have been complaining about Chatter's battery use and tieing up bandwidth (for us Sprint users where data and voice are not simultaneous) GoodLink is clearly the worse offender.) (You go, Marc! Can't wait for the new updates!)
  4.    #4  
    Dennis,
    That is all very encouraging.
    Only problem for me is that the apps themselves are "hidden" from the launcher and from the prefs buttons.

Thus, I don't see how to even launch the Palm datebook or addressbook apps. I am not sure whether they are wiped from the device or just hidden somehow.

Anybody else in my situation and know what to do here?
  5.    #5  
    OK -- I have a solution...
    HOWEVER, IT IS A BIT OF HACK AND YOU COULD RISK SCREWING UP YOUR DATA OR WORSE SINCE THE CHANGE COULD POTENTIALLY HAVE UNFORSEEN CONSEQUENCES -- SO FAR IT WORKS FOR ME BUT NO GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU OR NOT CAUSE PROBLEMS. AS THEY SAY, YMMV.(note there are two programs labelled Date Book -- one is the original and the other is the Goodlink overlay version -- you can tell which is which by the icon that appears [look for the one with the GoodLink icon]; alternatively, at least in DbExplorer, you can only change the Creator Id for the non-native version)(note there are two programs labelled Date Book -- one is the original and the other is the Goodlink overlay version -- you can tell which is which by the icon that appears [look for the one with the GoodLink icon]; alternatively, at least in DbExplorer, you can only change the Creator Id for the non-native version)(note there are two programs labelled Date Book -- one is the original and the other is the Goodlink overlay version -- you can tell which is which by the icon that appears [look for the one with the GoodLink icon]; alternatively, at least in DbExplorer, you can only change the Creator Id for the non-native version)

Recalling my old days with a PalmV synching to Lotus Notes using EasySynch, I remembered that they obscured the Palm conduits by using the same Creator ID for the EasySynch applications as for the underlying Palm applications. Then I learned a hack that by changing the Creator ID of the obscuring EasySynch applications (e.g., change addr -> addx, date->datx) that the underlying native Palm applications and conduits would magically reappear. Note the Creator ID is fixed and can't be changed for the native Palm applications.

Well, the same thing works here...
    Using a program like DbExplorer (I have an old freeware version that crashes frequently under the Treo600, causing a soft reset but no other apparant damage. Also note that this is not the same as the commercial program called DbExplorer -- if you want to find it Google for it or use some other equivalent), change the Creator IDs for the following apps:

Date Book: Type: appl
    Creator Id: date -> datx

GoodAddressBook: Type: appl
    Creator Id: addr -> addx

Note: there are two programs labelled Date Book -- one is the original and the other is the Goodlink overlay version -- you can tell which is which by the icon that appears [look for the one with the GoodLink icon]; alternatively, at least in DbExplorer, you can only change the Creator Id for the non-native version

Note: I believe that you could technically change the Creator Ids to any non-used application ID

Note: Be careful to only change the Id for the file of Type "appl" -- don't change any of the Creator Ids for any of the other types.

Hope this is helpful... If anyone figures out anything better or has any other suggestions or cautions please let me know...
    I'm glad your method worked. It seems it is harder when GoodLink is preinstalled. They do a little more trickery to hide the native apps.

So you got back all four apps? ToDo and Memo should be easier; they merely obsured the icons, it seems.

The Contacts and Calendar pose different problems. The GoodLink app intercepts the native call to contacts -- for integration with the phone app. But once I moved the app off the Treo (to the card, with FileZ) , normal functionality was restored.

You should make sure apps are syncing correctly. For some reason, the sync from palm desktop to handheld created invalid datebook entries. (They would show up in search, but not in calendar.) Once I moved the datebook app off the Treo, it was fine.
    Dennisl:
    You rock!

I dont' really care about getting the native calendar back. But the having Goodlink "hi-jack" the address book was a real PITA. I use callshield and specify name or specify number would not work because Goodlink was in the way.

Now it works great!
    Just makes things a bit bloated because all my personal contacts are in Outlook. I installed the outlook conduits, set for synch with multiple PCS using one Exchange Mailbox, and so far everything is working great.

BTW: I emailed Good about issues and have yet to hear back.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
  8.    #8  
    I had a preinstalled version of Good which did make things harder. They don't really obscure the icons so much as put a new application with the same Type and Creator ID which has the same effect of obscuring the icons and causing the Phone app to link to the Good crippled address book. The result is that you can't even use prefs to rename the buttons.

By renaming the Creator ID as described above, the datebook and address book are unobscured and now the phone links with my Palm-like address book.

I now have both the Good and native Palm applications working and synching independently. The Good datebook and contacts synch wirelessly with my work Outlook crap, while the Palm datebook and addressbook hotsync with my own private versions on my laptop. That way I can keep my work and private lives separate. Of course, you could always use Dennis's alternative of just deleting the Good apps if you have no use for them.

I have not had any problems with messed-up synching.

Regarding the Palm datebook, while I am no great fan of the original Palm datebook, I really like the datebk5 extension (from Pimlico) and that crashes when the Good datebook is masking the native Palm application (probably because datebk5 is expecting various hooks to be in place).

So far, all my problems are solved even better than expected since I can have both Good and Palm apps working independently.
    MovieGene:

I'm glad you found it helpful. But actually, I did not remove _any_ functionality. I can get to both Palm and Good versions of _all_ apps. Remember, the palm versions are in ROM; this is merely removing the Good "hook" to the native calls.
    I use the master GoodLink icon to get to all Good functionality. A tad more inconvenient, yes. But I prefer having my personal db's handier.

Puterguy:

I also use DateBk5. It does not crash for me. If you can, try renaming Date Book.prc. The palm one is in ROM, and will not go anywhere.
    I think this may solve it for you.
    Last edited by dennisl; 05/23/2004 at 04:38 PM.
  10.    #10  
    You see my problem is that the old apps don't show up in either the prefs buttons list or in the launcher.
    You refer to "Date Book.prc". Do you have a prc version of the palm date and address books that you are installing? If so, I imagine that your reinstallation overrides the Good date and address books and therefore has a similar effect to my changing the Creator ID. This would also explain why Datebook5 doesn't crash since you have restored the original Datebook app.

If so, where did you get prc versions of the Palm Apps?

Finally, I don't think that renaming the prc file will have any effect. The name of the installed palm app has nothing to do with the name of the prc file on the Windoze machine (or at least that has been my experience).
    Do you use FileZ?
    When I look at the PDA files through that, I see a "Date Book.prc" that I can move off the device. Doing that restored correct syncing functionality to my palm datebook.

But GoodLink may appear differently when it's preinstalled, as in your case. You see, the file that I mention is the GoodLink modified app to overlay the native Palm app which is in my ROM.

But maybe you get the Good version right in ROM to begin with.

The only solution would be to get somebody with an app like JackFlash (I've never used it and don't feel like starting, sorry) to give you a copy of the native palm file.
    Then you could put that in memory to overlay the GoodLink version in your ROM.
    Sounds like it could work, anyway.
    I just had Goodlink installed yesterday. While I love some of the functionality of replying to meeting invites, and hyperlinking all phone numbers and web addresses (not to mention the amazing email that actually works!!!!), I cannot believe how inanely lame, useless, terrible, and valueless the Good apps are - you mean to tell me I cannot even choose a category to put a newly created task or calendar item in? That is so basic as to defy logic. I had previously used KeySuite, which although not using the native apps, was awesome, allowed mutliple categories per item, had a very good UI, etc. So I had to set out immediately trying to see if I could just keep the mail portion and dump everything else.

After searching, I found this thread. Maybe I am confused, but when I use FileZ to go to look at the files as discussed above, there are multiple with slightly similar names and for some reason I can't see the .prc extensions for anything. There are some different attributes of the files ("ResourceDB", "Open", etc., but I don't know enough to understand what these mean). Here are my files, filtering for "address" for instance, and eliminating a bunch of the small, seemingly inconsequential file names:
    name type creator
    AddressBook_addr_appl_68 addr a68k
    AddressDB DATA addr
    GoodAddressBookApp appl addr
    GoodAddressBookApp_addr_appl_a6 addr a68k
    GoodAddresses data GDLK

I am a little afraid to just start deleting things so any help you guys could provide would be terrific.

Thanks!