Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody having problems with their Sprint Buz Connection Personal Edition lately? I receive my work computers email directly on my T600...just today, the syncing stopped. I keep receiving "ERROR S7121-Cannot connect to desktop. Please check desktop client and try again" . Sprint couldn't help--wondering if anybody else knows how to fix it. If not, maybe you can recommend another PC to treo connection program I might like.
    Thanks
    I am not sure if this is the same problem, but my desktop client will either disconnect or become unresponsive until I go to my desktop machine and "unlock" the screensaver by logging in. Once I have done this, Outlook suddenly starts pulling my e-mail in and the BC client either starts working or I have to bring it up (from the system tray) and click on connect. Personally, I blame Outlook, but I have no proof what causes this. Given that the BC concept is that you have a desktop machine on all the time so you can access your e-mail, it is extremely frustrating when the software on that machine stops working/responding.

BTW, I "think" this happens when an Outlook reminder/appointment pops up.
  3.    #3  
    That used to be my biggest problem (what you described) and it was expected...I got used to it...I'd normally like to blame Outlook for this but with the recent problems everybody seems to be experiencing with the T600 update, ya never know. We did all sorts of soft and hard resets...dumped the program from the pc and the treo...reloaded it fresh on each--this did not fix the problem. I appreciate your input...anybody else?
    Folks,

I am having no problems, but I am also using a PC in our office to run the PE client -- while I use a laptop on the road. It is an old Win2K machine, (slow -- but stable).

I have had to restart the business connection PE software once since I started using it (a week ago). I have also had the BC Palm client crash my Treo once.

I am on Sprint 1.2 firmware since it was released.

Glenn
    deanandbek, I have had this problem periodically (at unpredictable intervals) over the last 7 months that I have been using BCS. I also use the Personal Edition. My own belief is that Sprint's BCS system suffers ocasional hiccups. Sometimes the problem persists as long as a day. Like you, I've had a bit of trouble over the past couple of days, though things seem fine since mid-morning yesterday.
  6.    #6  
    Funny part about this error I keep receiving, the folks at Sprint can't even locate the error number in their manual--it doesn't exist according to them. Error S7121...I'll keep trying
    You probably aren't having any problems any more but the S7121 Error is:

"Cannot Connect to your desktop. Please check your desktop client and try again."

There were some hiccups on the Sprint side around that time so that was probably what you were experiencing. I can't tell you how I know this or I'd have to take away your Treo. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by deanandbek
    Funny part about this error I keep receiving, the folks at Sprint can't even locate the error number in their manual--it doesn't exist according to them. Error S7121...I'll keep trying
    I'm a new Sprint BC user, and I already ran into the S7121 error on my Treo 600. It happened when I made a VPN connection to my corporate network and tried to update my Treo. It didn't happen when I was on the corporate LAN.

The funny thing is that this error doesn't occur when I log into bc.sprintpcs.com. The website is able to go through my laptop and VPN connection and do what my Treo can't. This means the problem is not with Outlook or with the VPN... it is with the software on my Treo or with the server my Treo logs into.

It would be great if someone fixed this problem, as I can tell this is going to be a real pain in the uknowhat. At least I can get the info off a web browser, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Another thing that I've found that I don't like is that my Outlook is detecting another application accessing the .pst file and won't let me use it while the Business Connection software is running. I didn't see this while at the office, so maybe it's related to the VPN as well. Lame! It seems like Seven/SprintPCS has got some work to do.
    Last edited by evil_doer; 06/04/2004 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I've been using BC now for a couple years, and I can tell you it is 800% better than it was a couple of versions ago. A couple of thoughts for you...

1) Sounds like you leave Outlook running since you report getting the meeting reminders...WHY? BC works via Outlook, but it doesn't have to be running to deliver your mail. BC works in the background and doesn't need OL to be running. In fact, I would argue that could introduce problems like you mentioned, and take more system resources-- OL is a RAM hog, after all.

2) Sometimes the connection issue seems to be related to the Palm BC client that gets its registration information corrupted. You can check the connection to the desktop via the bc.sprintpcs.com webpage, and often times you can see your email msgs on the website but it is just a problem with the BC Palm client registration. Go to Settings > Biz Conn Info > ReRegister.

Finally, if the client is unresponsive, you can remotely reboot the BC "workstation" in your office from home. Obviously the usual PCAnywhere or VNC type remote control clients will work so that you can log on and restart Windows and everything will be roses.

As a lighter and simpler solution. I set my wks with a registry setting to log into the network automagically (it's secured behind a locked door) and a free Resource Kit utility called "shutgui" (do a google search) will remotely reboot the workstation as long as you are connected to your office via VPN.

Hope that helps...BC has become much more reliable and I only have to reboot the box once or twice a month at most.
    I have been running bc for a while...the 3 things that I have discoverd that can cause your problem have been...

1. It seems the user name and password info in the bc client can go corrupt periodically...be sure to retype them for both the bc and your company network...under tools..settings..sign in and settings...and reconnect..I do this weekly..

2. If you are trying to connect via a shared connection, then you must use web access..the bc client on the treo won't work via a shard connection...

3. As mentioned already, I find it better to close Outlook when I am traveling...although I do use a password protected screensaver....

hope this helps...dave in az
    I got BC fixed, and it had nothing to do with the VPN.

To clear the S7121 error, I had to do a hard reset and blow away my user file and start from scratch. That was easy, so I didn't mind much. It's possible that migrating from my old Kyocera 6035 to my treo was the cause of the problem... something probably got copied over that might have caused it to stop working (even though I had a ton of stuff quarantined). I still can't figure out why BC worked for a while, then stopped.

We tried the whole encryption key "re-register" and password thing, that didn't do it. Reloading the software on the laptop and treo didn't do it either. Nothing worked, but the hard reset.

I was on the phone with Sprint for an hour or so on Friday, and got escalated right up into the Enterprise BC group (even though I have the Personal). Like I thought, the problem was with the software on my treo, not my computer or the service.

Anyway, BC Pers is working again. I like it lots. I hope it keeps working. I can really see how one would become dependent on it.
    Folks,

The company that makes SBC (Seven) has a newer beta version that you can try but joining the beta program at seven. I signed up for it but have not reconfigured it because of travel, etc.

I am using an old dedicated PC to run SBC personal edition, and it has been up and running for a while with no issues. I have noticed the following on my Palm...

1) Battery life is decreased somewhat, and since I get a lot of spam, e-mail is "pushed" to my palm every few minutes.

2) When SBC us getting e-mail over CDMA, the phone cannot receive calls because the connection is in use. This will cause you to miss a few calls (nothing serious).

3) It does work very well if you want to get real time e-mails on the road.

4) Shutting off the phone side, or using PDANet to connect a laptop takes up to a few minutes. I think this is because SBC/Seven has an active connection and needs to be notified that the connection is going down. It probably gets CPU time every minute or so, and the TREO needs to notify it before shutting off the connection.

Finally, the newer seven software also shows your calendar from an IMAP server / Outlook which SBC does not -- like I said, I have not installed this yet.

I think this is still a work in progress, but it is very promising.

Has anyone used the new SnapperMail that supports IMAP? This should do most of the same while not requiring SBC-PE to be running on a PC.

Glenn
    How do you become a beta tester?
    What's the validation code that's required on registering?
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_doer
    I got BC fixed, and it had nothing to do with the VPN.

To clear the S7121 error, I had to do a hard reset and blow away my user file and start from scratch. That was easy, so I didn't mind much. It's possible that migrating from my old Kyocera 6035 to my treo was the cause of the problem... something probably got copied over that might have caused it to stop working (even though I had a ton of stuff quarantined). I still can't figure out why BC worked for a while, then stopped.

We tried the whole encryption key "re-register" and password thing, that didn't do it. Reloading the software on the laptop and treo didn't do it either. Nothing worked, but the hard reset.

I was on the phone with Sprint for an hour or so on Friday, and got escalated right up into the Enterprise BC group (even though I have the Personal). Like I thought, the problem was with the software on my treo, not my computer or the service.

Anyway, BC Pers is working again. I like it lots. I hope it keeps working. I can really see how one would become dependent on it.
    That was an interesting solution in terms of a hard reset to correct the problem you were having. Since BC was not supported on the Kyocera I assume you are referering to the general migration of your other Palm programs that may have had some causal effect. Usually a number of problems can be solved through a re-register process.
    Is the Seven Beta different from the current B.C. offering from Sprint in any way?

I was sent a beta invite a while back but never really read into it much.
    Well that question cannot really be answered by beta participants as they are under NDA like myself (in the program). But one would think that there may be some differences between the two. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Is the Seven Beta different from the current B.C. offering from Sprint in any way?

I was sent a beta invite a while back but never really read into it much.
    Okay then.

I guess I'll have to read all the stuff they sent me.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    I've been using BC now for a couple years, and I can tell you it is 800% better than it was a couple of versions ago. A couple of thoughts for you...

1) Sounds like you leave Outlook running since you report getting the meeting reminders...WHY? BC works via Outlook, but it doesn't have to be running to deliver your mail. BC works in the background and doesn't need OL to be running. In fact, I would argue that could introduce problems like you mentioned, and take more system resources-- OL is a RAM hog, after all.
    I cannot get BC to send me e-mails if Outlook is not running. Are you sure about not needing OL? If so, is there a special setting? Thanks!
    Yeah, I'd like to know this too.

I can only use B.C. if Outlook is open. Everyone I've ever talked to about B.C. says the same.

phildro, enlighten us.

Maybe it's an enterprise versus personal edition deal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast