Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    An anonymous certified palm developer said the closest thing possible today is to rip the T3 drivers....
    ok guys, the game is afoot.
    A quick check of ebay and the T3 seems to be going for a little under $300. Maybe we need to find a good T3 forum and ask around in there.
    WTF? Somebody clue me in but the T3 drivers are useless unless you have the exact same bluetooth hardware. That's what drivers are, the "glue" that allows the OS to talk to the hardware. T3 drivers off the ROM are useless.

Now if you had the driver source code, that's a different story. But I seriously doubt you can lay hands on that.

Daivd
    Quote Originally Posted by djs_tx
    If palm follows the standard driver coding practices of building their driver in layers, the driver for an onboard bluetooth chip could be easily adapted to the driver for an SD card. You would just have to change the physical layer code to talk to the SD card instead of the chip.
    First you say that the driver could be easily adapted,

WTF? Somebody clue me in but the T3 drivers are useless unless you have the exact same bluetooth hardware. That's what drivers are, the "glue" that allows the OS to talk to the hardware. T3 drivers off the ROM are useless.
    then you say they are useless?

Maybe you don't think they would work "as is"? OK, then maybe we could get someone with a little programming experience to hack them up?
    OK, lemme clarify.

There are two things: Drivers and driver source code. If you have the source code, it is a good start to making new drivers IF they wrote the source code in layers. Having the compiled .prc drivers themselves is not useful.

It's sort of like eating the best chocolate cake and you want to make some for your self. A recipe is great but it is kinda hard to take a sample of the cake home and figure it out.

Source code = recipe = good starting point for new drivers.

Ripped off T3 drivers = slice of cake = pretty dang useless at making your own cake.

Make sense?

yes there are such things as decompilers but they aren't that good, especially at drivers that do a lot of direct register addressing.

David
    OK, lemme clarify.

There are two things: Drivers and driver source code. If you have the source code, it is a good start to making new drivers IF they wrote the source code in layers. Having the compiled .prc drivers themselves is not useful.

It's sort of like eating the best chocolate cake and you want to make some for your self. A recipe is great but it is kinda hard to take a sample of the cake home and figure it out.

Source code = recipe = good starting point for new drivers.

Ripped off T3 drivers = slice of cake = pretty dang useless at making your own cake.

Make sense?

yes there are such things as decompilers but they aren't that good, especially at drivers that do a lot of direct register addressing.

David

Okay, I'm feelin you now (an analogy with chocolate cake in it will make me understand anything ). So what we need is the driver source code. Maybe some nice palm programmer (or someone much smarter than me) will release it incognito for us!
  8.    #108  
    I find all of this talk amusing, since I have gotten it to work.

Hint: It is not the developing that is the problem, it's something to do with the marketing. Do you really think they were not going to figure out the programming fot the Treo 600? They did it for their other palms.

Palm programmers didn't even start programming till 3 days before I got my Beta software. I recently got another updated driver and it works just fine with my Bluetooth built in car.

When I get the OK, I'll email out the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpinfo4

Hint: It is not the developing that is the problem, it's something to do with the marketing. Do you really think they were not going to figure out the programming fot the Treo 600? They did it for their other palms.

Palm programmers didn't even start programming till 3 days before I got my Beta software. I recently got another updated driver and it works just fine with my Bluetooth built in car.

tpinfo, you ABSOLUTELY ROCK! way to go.. cant wait to try it if you would be kind enough to share it with us. thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    tpinfo, you ABSOLUTELY ROCK! way to go.. cant wait to try it if you would be kind enough to share it with us. thanks in advance

AGREED! tpinfo is da man!! Maybe someone on the boards would be willing to host the file? It can't be that big!
    I just ordered a SD Bluetooth card from a large local reatailer and I am going to pick it up tommorow. The card is made by Belkin, for the Palm.
    tpinfo4,

I am not doubting that you got the drivers from someone inside PalmOne. Hopefully this is all true. But can you clarify who made the SD bluetooth card? You mentioned Belkin, but they don't manufacture a secure digital bluetooth card as near as I can tell. Toshiba sells one and Socket sells one. But not Belkin. Can you clarify?

Also, I'm glad to hear that you got it to work in your car. Were you able to connect to any other bluetooth device (like a Laptop or TabletPC) to see if it allows the device to get internet access through the Treo?

TIA.
    I just can't wait to get OttoPilot up and running!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I would also like to know which SD BT Card tpinfo4 purchased
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    id buy the sd card as well then follow tpinfo's recipe for bluetooth connectity. after you, tp!

I'd love to see it, but anyway I can't imagine it's so large that it can't be posted or hosted if you get that ok.
    What could be posted that couldn't be faked besides the actual drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmmm... I'm suspicious. I don't doubt it's possible but unless the tpinfo4 posts some pics or something, I will remain skeptical...
    Last edited by manorton; 06/10/2004 at 02:17 AM. Reason: wtf
  17.    #117  
    I got it at my local store CDW. Here is the link for the Toshiba Card.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=508575
    tpinfo, I believe you, but I would really like to see these drivers.

I am Senior Editor of TreoCentral.com. I will not share these files if you do not wish me to. However, I would greatly appreciate it to see them. It is news for the community. It is a big step for the Treo. Plus, I have a powerbook, and really really want to wirelessly sync my Treo to my laptop!

I can be contacted at michael@treocentral.com. Please consider my request. Thank you.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    tpinfo, I believe you, but I would really like to see these drivers
    Making you totally unlike those of us who believe but are fooling about wanting to see them, I guess.
    News:
    "The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (BSIG) has announced a new specification named "Enhanced Data Rate" or EDR for short. EDR aims to provide faster data transmission and reduce the power consumption from traditional Bluetooth technology. The data speeds will be roughly three times faster which means you could easily use multiple Bluetooth devices simultaneously. The reduced power consumption also means longer battery life and less heat generated. The new EDR standard will be backward compatible with the current standard Bluetooth devices. This makes upgrading to the new standard effortless."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06...ter_bluetooth/