Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    This thread is vicious! You know what? I believe him - because I strongly believe that the next treo will have built in bluetooth, and the drivers for the built in chip and a chip on an SD card should not be very different at all. PalmOne needs to eventually develop this driver, so why not now? So, tpinfo4, enjoy your bluetooth, and ignore the insanely rude comments that everyone has made on this thread.

Sometimes when you get new (confidential) info, you really want to tell about it, as tpinfo4 did. But, at the same time you really can't because it was confidential, and there can be real consequences for sharing such info, so you back down and don't tell anymore. That happens, so deal with it.
    Here's a "me too".

If palm follows the standard driver coding practices of building their driver in layers, the driver for an onboard bluetooth chip could be easily adapted to the driver for an SD card. You would just have to change the physical layer code to talk to the SD card instead of the chip.

Second, I've been in the same situation. I too have a friend who is in the palm developer community and he has shared some inside info on the condition I don't spread it around. If I violate this trust, he'll never share his goodies with me.

I believe Bluetooth is coming on the Treo. Someone at Palmone is working on those drivers as we speak. That someone probably has friends. As a driver programmer myself, I could see it as not too much work to adapt the code to an SD card.

There is an embedded system conference here in Houston in a couple of weeks. Last year Hagiwara had a booth there and I quizzed the rep on BT cards. This year I'll see if I can get any more info.

David
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    i can now control the world from drivers I got from my friend at Palm, just thought I would let you all know...sorry I can't share the software

WHATEVER
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor
    i can now control the world from drivers I got from my friend at Palm, just thought I would let you all know...sorry I can't share the software

WHATEVER
    Who cares if the solution is not universal for all users.
  4. ralf.thill
    please,

where I can get the "Belkin SD Bluetooth Card" ??

I have a TREO600 GSM.....
    Let me addd a little fuel to the fire for those of you that say this can not be done for many reasons. Go to http://www.tapwave.com/zodiac_specs.html and look athe specs on the Tapwave Zodiac... NOTE Bluetooth! NOTE Palm OS5.2T(Tapwave Enhanced) so there are people that have made Bluetooth work in OS5.X devices. Someone sure does have the elusive drivers...

Glen
    The Zire 72 has bluetooth built as well using OS5.2.8, this to me tells me that's it's not a driver issue unless the 5.2.1H OS that the Treo uses can't use the driver that's already made. The current driver may also only support internal bluetooth as both the Zire and Zodiac have BT internally.

Something in my guts tells me that we'll have to get the next Treo model when it comes out to get BT and 802.11b/g.
    There has to be more to this then what is being let on. There should be no reason for us not to be running Bluetooth cards in our Treos by now.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    There has to be more to this then what is being let on. There should be no reason for us not to be running Bluetooth cards in our Treos by now.

Dunc
    Wasn't there some discussion regarding the SDIO slot on the Treo 600 not providing enough power to the SD Bluetooth Card to function properly? I distinctly remember this being discussed a few months back.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I hear (rumor) that the Treo 600 includes a spot internally to support Bluetooth. Any possibolity we can wire one of these tiny SD cards into this spot? Just a fantasy, I'm sure.
    I've also heard that with convergent devices (like the Treo) the cost of licensing all the profiles for Bluetooth makes it unfeasible as a product.

Someone with more info chime in here, but I think it works something like this: The bluetooth connection technology is licensed based on the application you wish to use it for. Each use is listed under one of about 7 profiles. So a Bluetooth printer can communicate with a device with the Bluetooth printer profile, or something like that. Each profile adds a certain cost, and the rationale is that Treo owners want it ALL. (Printers, headsets, etc.) They wouldn't be happy with a Bluetooth card that only worked with headsets, for example. And a Bluetooth device that used all the profiles would cost so much, that no one would want to pay for it. Thus, we get nothing.
    Yes.. I think what we are asking for is "proof of life".
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raschied
    I've also heard that with convergent devices (like the Treo) the cost of licensing all the profiles for Bluetooth makes it unfeasible as a product.

Someone with more info chime in here, but I think it works something like this: The bluetooth connection technology is licensed based on the application you wish to use it for. Each use is listed under one of about 7 profiles. So a Bluetooth printer can communicate with a device with the Bluetooth printer profile, or something like that. Each profile adds a certain cost, and the rationale is that Treo owners want it ALL. (Printers, headsets, etc.) They wouldn't be happy with a Bluetooth card that only worked with headsets, for example. And a Bluetooth device that used all the profiles would cost so much, that no one would want to pay for it. Thus, we get nothing.
    How would you explain the very inexpensive bluetooth phones that are out on the market right now...my wife got a Sony/Ericcson T616 for free from ATT and that has bluetooth built in...not tryin to trash your statement, but doesnt quite make sense....although she only connects it to a headset, dont know if the others would work and dont think that she cares...so if your statement is true, just give us access to headsets...I'd take that

rob
    Don't convince me - convince the manufacturers. I wasn't saying that everybody wants all profiles - I was saying that that is the impression of the industry. I know I probably wouldn't buy a bluetooth headset, but I would definitely like to print to the bluetooth printer at work.

From a product support perspective, Bluetooth is a can of worms. Can you imagine the returns?

If it's done, it would need to be done right, with packaging spelling out what bluetooth devices are compatible with the card, and even then, it's still a product support nightmare.
    In Europe, it's vital. Laws here make it illegal to hold a mobile phone up while driving. Headsets are MANDATORY. I barely know a person here who uses a wire headset, EVERYONE seems to be walking around with Bluetooth headsets. I have two (one Jabra with the blasted dongle to connect to the Treo 600, a PAIN in the arse).

Bluetooth is the only viable technology for a headset, it will only take a nationwide law in the States like the above to make it clear to all.

And when you've had a bluetooth headset, you can't go back (I did for the Treo, but it felt like one foot in the last century).

Handspring, PLEASE LISTEN!

Cheers,

Ray
    the lack of bluetooth HAS to be due to carriers' refusal to allow it. something to do with using bluetooth to use pcs vision illegally? something along those lines?
    otherwise, THIS IS BIZARRE THAT PALMONE HASNT RELEASED BLUETOOTH FOR TREO 600 EVEN NOW!! ITS THEIR MOST POPULAR DEVICE (ARGUABLY) SELLING RIGHT NOW, YET THEY WONT DEVELOP E A HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER FEATURE TO FURTHER ADD TO ITS POPULARITY! AMAZING.
    sorry for the bold print, its just that this truly puzzles me.. why zire 72 but not the treo 600? hmm.
    well im gonna chalk it up to my missing some critical reason as to
    why it isn't possible. but for a powerhouse handheld company, its a little surprising.
    and as it was said above, why is it no problem to include bluetooth in cheap cell phones, but for the treo its as if the GREAT WALL OF CHINA is blocking us! wth?!?!? truly strange. well, its palmone's world. only they can answer that I guess.
    ok with all the skeptecism and theories here..

I bought a Palm BlueTooth SD card (CE0682), hoping it would work with the Treo 600.
    I installed the software that came on the cd, which basically wanted to install:
    BlueBoard.prc
    BlueChat.prc
    BluetoothExt.prc
    BluetoothPnl.prc
    BluetoothPnl_enUS.prc
    BtCommVdrv.prc
    BtCommVdrv_enUS.prc
    BtExgLib.prc
    BtExgLib_enUS.prc
    BtLib.prc
    BtLib_enUS.prc
    BtStackLib.prc
    BtTransportSDLib.prc
    BtWizard.prc
    ConnectionPnl.prc
    ConnectionPnl_enUS.prc
    Dialer_EN.prc
    MoHiSp1Lib.prc
    MotorolaTP280i.prc
    NMSCPT.prc
    Nokia6310i.prc
    phonelink.prc
    phonelink_enus.prc
    PMHDB.pdb
    PMNDB.pdb
    SlotDrvrSDIO_enUS.prc
    Sony-ET68i.prc

Now I understand that Treo 600 isnt supported but the packaging does state "Compatible with Palm(tm) Handhelds with palm extension card slot", just hoping someone could hack these... Cause when I do install the files it wants me to reset and then freezes on the startup screen.
    It looks like the Treo will work, its just the necessary drivers need to be loaded.
    Are there any debuggers out there that could locate the errors its creating, even if the PDA wont boot, such as an emulator?
    Which in my opinion is politics, they're jut waiting for sales to drop then they'll focus on BT promotions.

I bought the SD card so i could use GPS, I had high hopes for the Treo 600

And I updated my Treo to Treo600-1.12-ROW, which i must say is a nice little utility ( http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...0_updater.html )
    Last edited by muphin; 06/07/2004 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Additional comments, why waste another post.
    I'm sure this has been thought of before, but can we somehow get the bluetooth drivers off of the Tungsten T3 (which is OS5 with built in bluetooth) and make them work for the Treo?
    there's an idea!!!
    just read the post in this thread where the guy states that no matter how the drivers or software is tweaked, bluetooth is not possible.
    well then, if anyone can confirm that this is true, we can then lay this big issue to rest. im sure he's been amused enough at this point.
    so can anyone confrim this?