Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 181
  1. #61  
    You guys are getting a little out of control.

    I did hear about an upcoming product that will definately require BlueTooth. As we know, many automobiles are now BlueTooth enabled. A German developer, Scheisskopf GMBH, is readying OttoPilot, which will interface with the car's navigation, steering, braking, and acceleration systems. OttoPilot will be resident in the Palm device's memory, and of course needs BlueTooth to communicate to the automotive systems. You simply select the destination, ala Mapquest, and let your Palm do the driving, via OttoPilot. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

    There are still some bugs to be worked out, however, such as how to detect other cars on the road that are not BlueTooth enabled, and there is still a tricky emergency inflation maneuver.....
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 05/21/2004 at 02:38 PM.
  2. #62  
    I just take pictures and update them via ftp but on my treo. I looked for one could not find hope sommone makes one . funcam does timelaps pictures but no uploading
    Treo 600-Sprint v1.20
    drigout.textamerica.com
  3. #63  
    hummm ignore last post I am going insane.

    Thanks for the news hope they fix problems soon and release it.

    can't the make a bt adapter that works off a battery that you recharge or change
    Treo 600-Sprint v1.20
    drigout.textamerica.com
  4. #64  
    well i am taking this as good news because maybe he is telling the truth and maybe a new bt card will come out soon
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  5. Crashless's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #65  
    I think some of you may be confused about the reasons for no BT card on palms. It is not due to power requirements as some in this thread have suggested, that is the reason we don't have WiFi. WiFi requires much more power than does bluetooth, which is why BT is the method of choice for small portable devices. BT was specifically designed for this application.

    The reason we don't have a BT SDIO card is because no one, outside of Palm itself, has the ability to write the ARM level drivers that would be required for such a device. Currently developers CAN write ARMLETs, small parts of programs written in ARM language to speedup programs, but no one has the hooks needed to write a driver to integrate the BT SDIO to the system.

    One particularly smart coder COULD reverse engineer the drivers included with the T3, but this would be illegal on many levels.

    So, basically we have to wait to see if Palm will ever undertake such a project. The poster of this thread gives a little hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Unless of course, he happens to post some convincing pics...<takes a deep breath>
  6. #66  
    Call me stupid for even thinking this BUT if we can make a Mac run Windows programs and a Treo emulate a gameboy to play games. I can program my TIVO through the internet and all the other technology things we have going must there not be a way to get the Treo to emulate in certain ways a bluetooth enabled Palm device? Why write new drivers and develop new hardware if there is a way to do this? There has to be a lot simpler answer then beating our heads against the wall on this subject and waiting for Palm to figure this out...
    Glen
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    You guys are getting a little out of control.
    They're not out of control -- they're using OttoPilot.
  8. Crashless's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    They're not out of control -- they're using OttoPilot.
    Best quip yet.
  9. #69  
    This thread is vicious! You know what? I believe him - because I strongly believe that the next treo will have built in bluetooth, and the drivers for the built in chip and a chip on an SD card should not be very different at all. PalmOne needs to eventually develop this driver, so why not now? So, tpinfo4, enjoy your bluetooth, and ignore the insanely rude comments that everyone has made on this thread.

    Sometimes when you get new (confidential) info, you really want to tell about it, as tpinfo4 did. But, at the same time you really can't because it was confidential, and there can be real consequences for sharing such info, so you back down and don't tell anymore. That happens, so deal with it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    This thread is vicious! So, tpinfo4, enjoy your bluetooth, and ignore the insanely rude comments that everyone has made on this thread.
    Whatever!


    I just find it odd as hell that on 5/18/04 10pm, he was about to pick up a card and knew NOTHING about whether it may or may not work......to 5/19/04 9am, not only getting the card, but the drivers AND a programmer friend for PALM no less.

    He states that the card was ordered through a large local retailer. MOST of you know that 90% of these (cough) retailers dont even unlock their doors until 10am. I dont know about ya'll, but its not likely he went to Walmart (a large local retailer) that early in the morning and picked up his card. Walmart opens at 7 in my state. Anyway, I'm dying to hear the name of the store that opened up just for him.

    Also, while I'm on the subject....ordered? My mind tells me that when one orders, its usually because its not even in stock, hence the ordering. HotDamn! FedEx must have been working overtime to get that card to the (cough) local retailer overnight.

    Ya'll know what.....all I got left to say on the subject is.....
    I want some of what he's smoking!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  11. #71  
    Welp, all I can say is I hope Palm puts more power to the freakn SD slot next time... we can add an additional battery, but we can't send more power to the freakng slot!!!

    More power captain!!
    Jim
    PS I want WiFi anyway... bluetooth is still "outthere"
  12. #72  
    Well, it could've been ordered from the Circuit City website for store pickup...
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
  13. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    #73  
    TPInfo, I dont really care if youre telling the truth or not. But heres the scoop. If you say you got something that noone else has and you say it works but you cant have it and I cant give it to you nor can I show you what it looks like, You would have to expect to have a few angry or upset people here. Its like teasing a baby(not that were babies here but this is just an example). Eventually it is going to start crying and not stop and your the one that has to listen to it. So a word of advice, next time, if you do have something that everyone else is looking for, make sure that you can share it first before you say anything as youre only gonna cause more problems for yourself.

    rob
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    This thread is vicious! You know what? I believe him - because I strongly believe that the next treo will have built in bluetooth, and the drivers for the built in chip and a chip on an SD card should not be very different at all. PalmOne needs to eventually develop this driver, so why not now? So, tpinfo4, enjoy your bluetooth, and ignore the insanely rude comments that everyone has made on this thread.

    The drivers hae never been an issue at all! They've existed in the T-series for a very long time. The reason why there hasn't been a BT SD card is b/c there simply is no adequate market for them (beyond the geeks here at treocentral and a few other forums) to justify the development of them!! In fact, this primarily the reason why Hagiwara recently stated they would not being releasing their BT SD card for PalmOS. All this other stuff about Sprint sabotaging and etc is pure nonsense! Afterall, Treo users would not be the only ones to benefit from this card...

    Also, others have mentioned that it was possible to hack the BT drivers off the T|T, but this hasn't been done for obvious reasons...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15. #75  
    wal mart is open 24 hours here
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    _________________________________________
    I may not know, but I'll bet my phone does!
  16. Crashless's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The drivers hae never been an issue at all! They've existed in the T-series for a very long time. The reason why there hasn't been a BT SD card is b/c there simply is no adequate market for them (beyond the geeks here at treocentral and a few other forums) to justify the development of them!! In fact, this primarily the reason why Hagiwara recently stated they would not being releasing their BT SD card for PalmOS. All this other stuff about Sprint sabotaging and etc is pure nonsense! Afterall, Treo users would not be the only ones to benefit from this card...

    Also, others have mentioned that it was possible to hack the BT drivers off the T|T, but this hasn't been done for obvious reasons...
    I see the market reason thrown around extensivly and can't understand the economics of it. They've already finished the expensive part, they've made the hardware, and bluetooth as a technology is being marketed all over the place now. The only missing link is that they seem to be refusing to make drivers for it to work in OS5. I don't understand how a reasonably small team of developers (less than 5) couldn't create deployable drivers for this in less than 6 months. Set the cost at around $250k US. At a profit margin for palm of about $20/card that would be recouped with only 12500 units. Something else has to be going on here, even if you double the cost and half the profit, you're still only talking about 50k units, that's not very much.
  17. #77  
    Bluetooth is close to mandatory when releasing a new top-of-the-line phone here in Europe. The Treo 600 has gotten a lot of beating for it lacking BT. And Europe is a significant market.
    I'm sorry to say this, but we all tend to be a bit narcissistic, and this "bluetooth? what is it good for?" attitude I sense from a few americans here reminds me of remarks made about the SMS functionality just a few years ago. In Europe, SMS has been hugely popular for 6-7 years, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $has$ $only$ $just$ $begun$ $being$ $popular$ ($say$ $for$ $the$ $last$ $year$, $year$ $and$ $a$ $half$?) $in$ $the$ $US$.
    So my conclusion is this: The Treo 600 was released in the fall of 2003, without BT which from my European stand of view was a B-I-G mistake and thus left the arena open for the SE P900.
    Releasing BT support for the Treo 600 now wouldn't be a second too early, personally I would expect it last christmas!

    Skål!

    Christopher
  18. #78  
    I don't think that Americans realise how small a market share the Treo600 has in Europe. The T610, T620 P800 and P900, blackberry (Yuk) will all have out sold this phone by miles and Bluetooth is a factor. However, it is not the full story, it is quite clear that Palm just got it wrong they didn't appreciate how popular the Treo600 would be and do not have the capacity. Now they have seen how big the market could be, I expect the replacement to be produced in far larger numbers and will include BT.

    So where does that leave us, well it means that Palm will have Beta BT drivers right now and so it is possible that this chap does in fact have them. the fact that some of the info looks dubious may be a smoke screen, to hide his and his friends identity. Frankly I would be inclined to believe him. But what he could do is post them to this site in congito http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php?name=Downloads
  19. #79  
    The reason why there hasn't been a BT SD card is b/c there simply is no adequate market for them (beyond the geeks here at treocentral and a few other forums) to justify the development of them!!
    If this statement was true, how come there were drivers for PalmOS 4? Was there an adequate market for bluetooth back in mid-2002 but it disappeared now that bluetooth has finally arrived in cars and other phones are using it?

    The power rumor also makes me wonder. How could the Palm m125 which uses 2 AAA batteries meet the power requirements of the BT SD card which a lithium ion battery that holds a much longer charge can't? The newer BT SD cards that are out for PocketPC even use half the power requirements of the older card for Palm OS4. I just can't see power consumption for SDIO cards being an oversight in the newer models.
  20. #80  
    man after seeing BT back in action, i really cannot wait till they can negotiate a power/driver solution for the bt card, oh jebus save me
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions