1.    #1  
    I've been using the free version of Neat Image on my PC since the TC crash. I can recommend it based on my experience with it. This program is used on your desktop to clean up your images after importing them from your Treo. It's free, it works and it's stable :

http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

This is a nice little stand-alone free program that filters digital image noise. While you have to tweak the automatic settings a bit to avoid overprocessing your images, it works pretty well. I can recommend it as a fix for banishing the blue pixies from your Treo pics.

It let's you develop noise profiles for all of your digital imaging devices (like your film scanner). If you really like it, you can even spend some money and get versions that work as plug-in filters for Photoshop or Paintshop. I'll be doing that soon based on using the free version.

I really wish PalmOne would add something like this to the Treo's camera control software so that you wouldn't have to do this after the fact.

Try it and see for yourself,
    EdK
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    Since upgrading my firmware to the newest(sprint), i dont have a blue dot issue anymore. So palmone has fixed this issue as far as i can tell.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas316
    Since upgrading my firmware to the newest(sprint), i dont have a blue dot issue anymore. So palmone has fixed this issue as far as i can tell.
    Hmmm,

I've got the new Sprint firmware update v1.20 and there is NO improvement on my Treo (other than wishful thinking on my part ). The Picture Mail App and all apps that seem to be associated with the camera or pictures are all still v1.0. The Picture Mail App is now branded PalmOne when you check info and I think it used to say Handspring. The highlights still burn out the same way under bright light conditions, too.

EdK
    16GB iPhone 3G
  4.    #4  
    I was asked by private email for some samples of Neat Image v4.0 before and after pics. They are attached below. This is a Treo image that would typically benefit from the use of NI. I seem to recall that this was done using the automatic settings in NI and not the advanced (finer control)mode. As you can see, it does a good job at removing the blue dots. In general, I would further adjust the color balance, color saturation and run an unsharp mask after resizing - done.

The downside is that you get a little smearing of the image. The trick with using NI is to play with the settings to get the result that looks good to you. Everyone's tolerance for blue dots vs. smoothing is different. Some images come out looking like everything is made out of soft plastic . Try it yourself and see if it can save some of your Treo images from an attack of the blue pixies .

EdK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16GB iPhone 3G
    wow thats impressive!
    i use fw 3.04, and if anything the blue dot problem is worse than the original fw.
    It does look very good.