1.    #1  
    Not all the time, but enough that I've noticed it happening. And not with any particular force either - sort of the equivalent of being dropped from 3 centimeters.

Is this an advanced-returnable offense?
    Last edited by platron; 05/20/2004 at 10:56 AM.
    Platron:

One shot in the dark... Are you using a G2 screen protector? I had issues with the fit being too tight (pressing on the screen) ending with resets and lockups until I removed it. Some have no issues with it at all. Otherwise, clearly, your T600 is posessed. Good luck!
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    why on earth would you drop your treo onto your table? it's always funny when people complain on forums after they mishandle the t600. "i had the treo in the back pocket of my jeans without a case and i sat on it... next time i turned it on, the screen was messed up. what should i do?"
    Mine did the same. Anything harder than a very gentile set down would reset the thing. If your in a car and it's on a console, it will probably reset when hitting a good size bump. Mine was promptly replaced after a demo to the rep. helping me.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    why on earth would you drop your treo onto your table? it's always funny when people complain on forums after they mishandle the t600. "i had the treo in the back pocket of my jeans without a case and i sat on it... next time i turned it on, the screen was messed up. what should i do?"
    Honestly, if you saw it, you wouldn't call it mishandling. I don't actually drop the treo, and the "three inches" I reported in my (pre-editing) posting overstated violence involved. Basically, if the click of the case touching the table is even slightly audible, the phone will reset about 20% of the time.

I remember from some of the posts on the buzzing issue that some people were advised by treo support to tap the unit sharply on the back, and from other posts that the buzzing was attributed to interference from the battery. I wonder if some of the components in the batter/antenna region are not well-anchored.
    Very soft impact is good enough. Resets 4 or 5 times per day, afterwards wireless is off and I miss calls until I notice that wireless is off. Very annoying.

I don't remember it doing this in the beginning.... and I installed and deinstalled some software. Anyone tried a hard reset (page 132 of manual) to get this fixed?

Best

Thomas
    San Francisco
    Well,
    I just called customer support... nerve wrecking. After 28 minutes with ATT I've been told that Palm support is done by Palm thesmelves. So I called Palm - another 10 minutes waiting. The man gave his best and is not to blame, but his heavy accent and the noise reduction of the VoIP to India made me ask him to repeat everyting about 77 times. Poor guy.

So here's what he told me to do: Push (Backspace + K) and do a reset on the backside. This does a factory reset, which seems to be different from the 'hard reset'. After this, you have to charge the phone and wait for 2 - 4 hours, start the phone again and wait another 2 to 4 hours before you do the hot sync. Thereafter, the problem should be fixed. Appears to me like a strange approach to a seemingly mechanical problem.

I will keep you updated on the success of this.
    Has to be a mechanical problem as I have placed my treo every where in a not very gentile way and it doesn't reset (knock on wood).

Shoot I've droped it 3 times. Once I even found it on the floor while on a visit to my aunt (guess the kids or the dog must have picked it up).
    All of this was not done purposely, but I hate having to pay so much money for a piece of equipment that can't even withstand regular wear-and-tear.
  9.    #9  
    I tried the hard reset, and it still self-soft-resetted even with no software installed. After that, I called palmone, who agreed immediately to yet another "advanced exchange."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_SF
    So here's what he told me to do: Push (Backspace + K) and do a reset on the backside. This does a factory reset, which seems to be different from the 'hard reset'. After this, you have to charge the phone and wait for 2 - 4 hours, start the phone again and wait another 2 to 4 hours before you do the hot sync. Thereafter, the problem should be fixed. Appears to me like a strange approach to a seemingly mechanical problem.
    That is actually called a Battery Reset Disconnect and is meant to quickly drain the battery on the Treo and restore to factory setting.

It seems like it's a good idea to completely drain the Treo battery once in a while to avoid problems like these...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The manual (page 31) says that it's best NOT to allow the battery to completely drain and that you'll get a much longer battery life when it's topped-off frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    The manual (page 31) says that it's best NOT to allow the battery to completely drain and that you'll get a much longer battery life when it's topped-off frequently.

I think what the manual is trying to say is that you should not completely discharge your battery to ZERO b/c you will lose all your data! Of course, you should not do this. And when you do charge, it is always best to top it off. However, I maintain it's good for your battery to discharge it once in a while down to 20-30% and then recharge it all the way up...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I think what the manual is trying to say is that you should not completely discharge your battery to ZERO b/c you will lose all your data! Of course, you should not do this. And when you do charge, it is always best to top it off. However, I maintain it's good for your battery to discharge it once in a while down to 20-30% and then recharge it all the way up...
    Not with a Li-Ion battery. They live longest if kept topped up. I believe it's a physics/chemistry thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    Has to be a mechanical problem as I have placed my treo every where in a not very gentile way and it doesn't reset (knock on wood).

Shoot I've droped it 3 times. Once I even found it on the floor while on a visit to my aunt (guess the kids or the dog must have picked it up).
    All of this was not done purposely, but I hate having to pay so much money for a piece of equipment that can't even withstand regular wear-and-tear.
    Regular wear & tear.....LMAO! Does your dog normally make phone calls?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Not with a Li-Ion battery. They live longest if kept topped up. I believe it's a physics/chemistry thing.

Isn't that what I said? When you charge, definitely top it off. But all I'm saying is when you're using the Treo, discharge it to a pretty low battery level once in a while and then top it off....

Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Regular wear & tear.....LMAO! Does your dog normally make phone calls?
    Hahahahaha.
    It wasn't my dog it was my aunt's big heffa dog...hahahahaha....the treo can't fit in my baby's mouth...he so tiny....check him out.
    Oh but what he does love is chewing on the charge cords.
    He hasn't done it to the Treo's charging cord, but I had to replace plenty of my T68i's AC charge
    (He also likes to snoop in the fridge)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Isn't that what I said? When you charge, definitely top it off. But all I'm saying is when you're using the Treo, discharge it to a pretty low battery level once in a while and then top it off....
    What Jaytee meant is that with that type of battery you are NOT to leave it discharge as they perform better when you charge it frequently.
    Meaning, if at the ending of the day you have 1/2 battery you should still charge it and not leave it till tomorrow when you have 1/10 of battery power.

Back in the days the batteries weren't as sofisticated and not leaving your battery discharge completely every once in a while meant damaging it.