1.    #1  
    OK, sorry to post such an obvious question, but I've searched the FAQ under keywords such as 'modem' and 'modem cable' and 'modem software' and nothing comes up(!)

So, how do I use my Treo 600 as a modem? I'll be in Europe for two weeks and will need connectivity 'on the fly.' I know I'll need software (which) and a cable (where to buy?).

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yup junfabrics is the way to go 100% I usually get 120k-140k for speed. Quite awesome!
    is there a way to do this through the ir port?
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPhong
    is there a way to do this through the ir port?
    Wireless modem will allow you to do this via IR...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i agree ..junefabrics.com... I bought it and it really works well. Only problem related to use overseas. Some countries it worked fine, like UK. Italy is another story.

I still say BUY IT
    sprint used to support modem dialing right from the phone, something along the lines of ##777... does anybody remember this or know how to apply it to the treo 600?
    I cant imagine buying software if it is something as simple as this
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    You can dial up through the phone for your internet connection to the phone without any software, but I don't think the computer can access the web through your phone without the software. Now I know that you can use pdanet to access the phone's wireless data signal, but you can use it to have the phone dial-up as well? I can only connect through the t-mobile vpn connection on my phone. If I select my bellsouth dial up through pdanet it makes the desktop version of pdanet crash, and then i can't get the program to start again without rebooting the computer. Just curious...
    Last edited by drmrw; 06/05/2004 at 07:21 AM.
    drmrw on a treo 600 gprs t-mobile

"One out of 3 people has two people standing next to them..."
    With June Fabrics PDAnet, do you use the USB sync cable to connect to the phone when it's used as a modem, or another type of cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by finn
    With June Fabrics PDAnet, do you use the USB sync cable to connect to the phone when it's used as a modem, or another type of cable?
    you use the sync cable.
    Anybody have experience with Wireless Modem on OS 10.3.x and/or OS 9? Another thread in this forum describes difficulty in getting Wireless Modem going in OS 10.2 for a Treo 300.
    i just bought pdanet and love it! i was debating whether to buy a sierra wireless card for my computer, but this is even better, not to mention cheaper! it doesn't get any simpler than using pdanet. one push the screen button and in less than a minute. you're surfing on your computer via your treo.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I have Pdanet and using the USB datasynch cable. Using Pdanet I can communicate to the internet via the T600 GPRS connection and also through my regular dialup ISP connection. The GPRS connection is faster but Cingular bills me on my data rate for it so I keep my traffic down (I'm too cheap to spring for the unlimited $20.00/month unlimited data. For general browsing I just use my regular ISP account...slower of course but then its just minutes and I got PLENTY of them each month. All in all the Pdanet is pretty versatile.
    on 2nd treo- have firmware 1.2
    freq disconnect, especially with large downooads
    No help from pdanet...all they can offer is that some phones have trouble... NOT GETTING MY MONEYS WORTH ONLY AGGREVATION!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    on 2nd treo- have firmware 1.2
    freq disconnect, especially with large downooads
    No help from pdanet...all they can offer is that some phones have trouble... NOT GETTING MY MONEYS WORTH ONLY AGGREVATION!!!!!!!!!

That sounds more like a problem with your Treo not PDAnet. Take your Treo into a Sprint store so the can do a diagnostic to see why your connection keeps dropping. Yo might need a replacement...

Not a problem with the phone... been tested.. and I never lose a phone connection or web connection other then on occasion when signal fades. This seems to be an issue with sprints system and pdanet. whether the system times out and/or restricts data size.. I dont know.. but I do know that I am ready to throw a fit.. I have same problem on standard phone using snap dialer with sprint.. PDANET needs to find a way for the software to tell sprint server to keep and maintain the connection... just like it does when using blazer.... PLEASE PDA NET GET THIS RESOLVED!!!
    I was wondering if someone out there couldn't help me out. I have a Treo 600 on the Cingular network with their "all you can eat" $20 a month internet access MEdia Works plan. I have two different questions:

1) I have heard that the MEdia Works plan only lets you use the internet access from the Treo device itself. And that if you try to hook it up to your PC using PDAnet or any other method, Cingular can sense this on the network somehow and won't let you connect. You then have to purchase their $80/month Data Connect service to be able to hook your Treo600 to your PC to get "all you can eat". Anyone know anything about this?

2) I am traveling to the UK soon. Having spoken with lots of customer service and technical support folks at Cingular, it appears that they really have their roaming agreement "stuff" together, both on the voice and data end of things. They claim that when I get off the plane in London, my Treo600 will be able to connect to the Internet (after I select T-Mobile as the GPRS network to connect through) and that my MEdia package unlimited data plan still applies! I can surf the net all I want in England from my Treo and not pay anything extra. Very cool. But you can probably see where I am going here: When I am in the UK, I want my laptop to be able to connect to the Internet using my Treo600 as a wireless modem, employing my MEdia Works unlimited data plan.

Thanks for any insight or help you give on this! After I travel to England, I will let you guys know what my personal experience with this was.
    Last edited by starkraven; 06/13/2004 at 03:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I have a product called Softick PPP (http://www.softick.com) and it allows me to install a client on the laptop and use my GPRS connection on the T600. It works pretty good for me....as long as you can connect to the internet with your T600 in England you should be able to use that product....just need to connect your T600 through your USB port on your laptop....have a great trip....say hi to the Queen for me.