Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I updated to the new Unbranded Treo ROM and everything works great. Video and sound recording is just awesome...
    BUT I'm a heavy Texter and I occasionally use more than 160 chars which treo would automatically concat to 2 sms's .. or 3 or 4... making it a long sms. The character count on the top would read something "172 chars/2 msgs" once it goes over the limit.
    However, I just discovered that after I did the update, it now does not even allow me to go pass that limit. It gets stuck at 160 chars.

help...
    The sms character limits are set by the carriers fyi. Thus even if you could some how crack the limit in Rom, there is a chance that the extra characters wouldn't transfer anyway due to your carrier...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    I have been using multiple messages for SMS for 4 months with my Treo on the old ROM. And this feature has been in use for many years by my carrier in my country, Brunei. We are heavy SMS users here and messages easily span 4 SMS's.
    Has it always been locked by carriers in US? Sprint? Cingular?
    I was a Tmobile user when I was studying in Dallas but hardly would touch that feature as "no one" in the US sms's.... so I don't remember if T-mo allowed multiple SMS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie319
    Has it always been locked by carriers in US? Sprint? Cingular? I was a Tmobile user when I was studying in Dallas but hardly would touch that feature as "no one" in the US sms's.... so I don't remember if T-mo allowed multiple SMS's.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $US$ $carriers$ $do$ $indeed$ $lock$ $the$ $sms$ $char$ $limit$ ($at$ $least$ $according$ $to$ $info$ $I$'$ve$ $read$ $over$ $at$ $Hofo$'$s$). $Whether$ $this$ $is$ $done$ $on$ $the$ $network$ $level$ $or$ $on$ $the$ $handsets$ $themselves$, $I$ $do$ $not$ $know$. $It$ $would$ $be$ $interesting$ $to$ $find$ $out$ $though$ $if$ $something$ $like$ $this$ $could$ $be$ $cracked$ $in$ $the$ $rom$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    On my gsm treo 600, using fw02.01 sw1.05-INT, long SMSes would be auto-splitted, eg. "172 chars/2 msgs".

After the update, fw03.05 sw1.12-ROW, long SMSes would still be auto-splitted, no change.

Are you using a GSM or Sprint Treo 600?

Edit: oops. Answer to my own question: T-mobile = GSM
  6.    #6  
    I'm actually using a local mobile service. DST to be specific. I live in Brunei now. (a country near Malaysia, Singapore)

I lost the auto split after the update downloaded from PalmOne.com - the Unbranded Treo ROM update.
    I updated from 2.09 to the new 3.05 and my SMS's still get split. There's been no change. I use an unbranded GSM model in Indonesia.
    i wonder why someone still have the auto split and some don't.

i do not think i would get my palm not able to auto split. i text msg a lot
  9.    #9  
    Hmm.. I wonder what's wrong. i'm going to redownload it and do the update again. I didn't hard reset last time, but I'll try that this time round.
    Its just a huge minus if it doesn't auto split!
    Is there a way I can check the exact ROM its using from the phone? I can get the palm version, that's all...
    I think it has to do with getting some of your old sms software back into the Treo after the update when you synchronise. I'm on M1, Singapore, and I have no problems with the unofficial update 3.4 in terms of sms splitting, although I read a few Singtel users did have that same problem. I think its software. If you do a hard reset, you can confirm this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie319
    I updated to the new Unbranded Treo ROM and everything works great. Video and sound recording is just awesome...
    BUT I'm a heavy Texter and I occasionally use more than 160 chars which treo would automatically concat to 2 sms's .. or 3 or 4... making it a long sms. The character count on the top would read something "172 chars/2 msgs" once it goes over the limit.
    However, I just discovered that after I did the update, it now does not even allow me to go pass that limit. It gets stuck at 160 chars.

help...
    I'm having exactly the same problem :-( You are not alone :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    i wonder why someone still have the auto split and some don't.

i do not think i would get my palm not able to auto split. i text msg a lot
    This topic had been a heavy discussion just before the April crash. Many users of certain Treos had the split option while the rest of us didnt. Now, dont misquote me, I am not saying that a certain Treo did this; what I am saying is some had it and some didnt. If I remember correctly, the GSM users had this functionality; I could be mistaken there.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The sms character limits are set by the carriers fyi. Thus even if you could some how crack the limit in Rom, there is a chance that the extra characters wouldn't transfer anyway due to your carrier...
    I dont think it's carrier specific. When I was on fw 2.09 it would split the sms into multiple messages depending on how long the message was. When I updated to fw 3.04 it puts the 160 character limits and now on fw 3.05 the limits still exist. Another thing, if you switch off the phone function (your treo is no longer connected to the carrier), the limit is still there suggesting it's more to do with the software.
    Hi,

I am another unhappy texter after 3.05 upgrade. My story is here:

http://mytreo.net/forum/YaBB.cgi?boa...5857;start=0#9

I think that if any of us affected would have official international version of Treo (mine is originally Cingular), this person has all rights to officially request p1 support regarding this problem. Anybody?

Regards,

Vitaliy
    I've got a Cingular version (with Cingular service too) and I did the ROW update yesterday to 3.05. Mine still breaks messages up.
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi,

I am another unhappy texter after 3.05 upgrade. My story is here:

http://mytreo.net/forum/YaBB.cgi?boa...5857;start=0#9

I think that if any of us affected would have official international version of Treo (mine is originally Cingular), this person has all rights to officially request p1 support regarding this problem. Anybody?

Regards,

Vitaliy
    I have the official international version and I already contacted PalmOne support. I've got following response:

>>>
    Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support.

I am requesting information about the update that you have done on your phone. As soon as I hear something about it, I will contact you back and hopefully will resolve your issue.

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robin Hager

palmOne Technical Support
    <<<

:-) Lets see...
    Hi milan,

Thanx for the update, please keep us informed.

Vitaliy
    Why don't you guys just send emails? If it's over 160 chars, it wasn't intended for SMS! (which stands for "Short" messaging service BTW)
    i wish mine was limited by 160
    coz i hate it when ur typing and suddenlly u realize when u press send it was 161/2 chars .. :P double charge for sms ...

wish had the option to change or not ..

and did u guys realize ? in treo600 they dont merge the 1/2 - 2/2 sms together upon recieving ... i remembered on my treo180 it does that .. merging the 2 sms together. .. hmmm ... anyone realize this or is it just me ?
    some carriers send one MMS instead of 2 SMS for long messages. And scandalex was right, there was a large discussion on this before the crash. I keep my messages short so I never actually ran into the limit (until I tested it out just for that other thread about it). I'll see what happens after the T-Mobile update comes out (I've got an unbranded INT GSM phone).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast