Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FWIW, i can go over the 160 char limit with sprint on fw 1.20 (palmone upgrade). I haven't actually sent a message (don't really do that much in the States), but i can type beyond 160.
    well shucks...thanks for sharing that...I mean you are not using a GSM phone and have not sent an SMS...glad you came by and shared that with us...;-)
    whats this only 4 posts..me thinks my count was over 600 !!!!! ,,,,,, ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobackup
    whats this only 4 posts..me thinks my count was over 600 !!!!! ,,,,,, ;-)
    Welcome back to TC after the great crash 2004. We have lots of missing post hence your counts as well. We've lost a lot of your postings and lots of users are looking for those.
  5.    #25  
    My carrier doesn't send an MMS once over the limit. I've also never experienced any problems when receiving a 'long' SMS... up to four messages and it shows up as one.

Anyway, I reloaded the update again.. and no surprise,... the limit is still there. I hope this is resolved soon.

Is there a way I can back track to another firmware that doesn't have this limit? like the original. Its nice to have the privacy mode (though I'm finding it annoying already as its nice to just pick up the phone and read the msg without have to hit "Go To") as well as the movie and sound recording.. but its extras I can live without.
    This is exactly what I did - downgraded to FW 2.08, you can find it at mytreo.net download section.
    I have Sprint and I'm limited to 160 characters (before and after the upgrade). Does anyone with Sprint also have the same issue?

Treotim - How did you get that functionality to send more than 160 characters?
    I'm on Sprint and I've always had the 160 character limit. It really makes me mad because I usually have to end up sending two messages and manually breaking them apart and sending two seperate SMS messages. I'd MUCH rather if this did it in software for me! Especially since I have unlimited SMS. I wish there was a hack or something that enabled Sprint users to "auto split" their SMS messages.
    Hi again,

so, it's more than a week after I reported 160 chars problem to p1 support. Alas, so far I have only automatic acknowledgement of receipt promising to get back to me in 12 hours... May be they use hours of another type, probably light hours or so :-(

Is there anybody here who also reported this problem (I know, milan did it)? Do you have any feedback?

Regards,

Vitaliy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi again,

so, it's more than a week after I reported 160 chars problem to p1 support. Alas, so far I have only automatic acknowledgement of receipt promising to get back to me in 12 hours... May be they use hours of another type, probably light hours or so :-(

Is there anybody here who also reported this problem (I know, milan did it)? Do you have any feedback?

Regards,

Vitaliy
    No response so far...
    Hi milan,

do you have any e-mail address of p1 support person? If yes, may be it's worthwhile to send a reminder.

I would do it but unfortunately, I have only autoanswer from treo.visor@palmone.com and my attempt to send an e-mail there just brought another (expected) autoanswer saying that I don't have to send mails to this address but use web-site... This is some kind of magic circle :-(

Regards,

Vitaliy
    I have a similar problem except that the I cannot type any characters. It seems that 3.05 is reading someting from the SIM and for me it is being set to 0. This is for wireless providers in India and I have found another person with exactly the same issue as mine. Now downgraded to 2.08 and waiting to see how this resolves!
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    FWIW, i can go over the 160 char limit with sprint on fw 1.20 (palmone upgrade). I haven't actually sent a message (don't really do that much in the States), but i can type beyond 160.
    That's strange, you seem to have completely different results than me! I have Sprint with FW 1.20 and SMS 1.01 and just tried typing an sms message to myself. As I type, the char count increments on the top bar, keeping count. As I reach 160 characters it just won't type anymore characters. Do us a favor treotim and check your sms version and report back here.
    I am in the US and I do not use SMS much. Can someone explain why SMS is so popular outside the US? Is is economics or convenience? Is SMS only used with alphabetic languages? What about Chinese or Japanese? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie319
    I have been using multiple messages for SMS for 4 months with my Treo on the old ROM. And this feature has been in use for many years by my carrier in my country, Brunei. We are heavy SMS users here and messages easily span 4 SMS's.
    Has it always been locked by carriers in US? Sprint? Cingular?
    I was a Tmobile user when I was studying in Dallas but hardly would touch that feature as "no one" in the US sms's.... so I don't remember if T-mo allowed multiple SMS's.
    we find that sms is a hell lot easier then talking
    coz u might not know that person u want to contact is busy
    if u send sms .. if the other person is in classroom .. then he can reply ...
    u cant call someone while he/she in teh class room
    so thats why its so popular ..

plus in my country theres a lot of competition using SMS ...
    sms company had made lots of money in my country ..

i sms like 1000++ sms permonth ...
    SMS while in class? How do the teachers like it when students are typing on their phones intead of paying attention to the c.lass? btw what country are you from?
    newtreouser- sms is big in uk as it's like a third way between phone and email

it's good for:
    1. when it's something you want to tell someone but it's not important enough for a call
    2. when you want to send a telephone no or something else that you might email if you were in the office
    3. when you want to send the same info to more than 1 person
    4. when someone phones you and you are in a meeting and you can text back
    5. sending jokes (v big in Europe) as people send jokes to everyone in their address book and they read it and send to everyone in theirs
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    SMS while in class? How do the teachers like it when students are typing on their phones intead of paying attention to the c.lass? btw what country are you from?
    We had SMS Championship some time ago and I've seen teenagers who can send SMS without looking at the phone at all. I bet they trained to do it right on the classes :-) And their speed of blind typing at regular phone is several times higher than mine, using Treo keyboard :-)))
    Last edited by Vorozhbyt; 05/31/2004 at 02:44 PM.
    I have a Treo 600 GSM that I use on T-Mobile, and applied the Other Carriers upgrade. I just checked and my T600 will split and join messages over 160 characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    Why don't you guys just send emails? If it's over 160 chars, it wasn't intended for SMS! (which stands for "Short" messaging service BTW)
    It's normal in Europe and many places to send lengthy SMS's. It's convenient and the message is pushed directly to the recipients phone. People don't always check their email and not everyone has email on their phone.

From my understanding, the US are late adopters to SMS and quite low volume users. I'm sure SMS will catch on
    www.gsmworld.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast