Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Checkout this story:

PalmSource and RIM Introduce BlackBerry Connect for Palm OS

The BlackBerry Connect offering for Palm OS is the result of a joint development effort between PalmSource and RIM, announced in December 2003, to provide Palm OS licensees with access to the industry-leading, push-based, BlackBerry wireless infrastructure and to enable seamless connectivity between Palm Powered smart mobile devices and BlackBerry wireless services (including BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Web Client), as well as global address list look-up and IT policy support. PalmSource is expected to make the Palm OS Mail Client that supports BlackBerry Connect available to Palm OS licensees in the second half of 2004, as previously announced.
    This is great news for Treo users imo. Now with BB-Connect, Gooklink and Chatter, Treo users have multiple options for "push-email" functionality!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Awesome!
    If it is Cobalt-only it is non-news for TREO owners. The timeframe suggests it's Cobalt (and maybe perhaps blue moon Garnet).

(Shouldn't this thread be over in the Communications or General Software forum?)
    Can someone explain if this means that any POP3 email on the Treo600 will have the "push email-always on" functionality rather than having to connect to GPRS to check email currently?

OR does this only is useful to folks who also have Blackberry in addition to Treo600? or those with BB email accounts only?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Checkout this story:

PalmSource and RIM Introduce BlackBerry Connect for Palm OS

This is great news for Treo users imo. Now with BB-Connect, Gooklink and Chatter, Treo users have multiple options for "push-email" functionality!
    besides I had a BlackBerry ipage from my previous project / company, i know nothing about RIM stuff.

I am new to Treo too. What would it do to me for the BB-connect for Palm OS?
    Would I have to subscribe a new service in order to use it?
    You need a server and a client. The client runs on the PalmOS device. It is not simple POP3/SMTP.
    The full story says Palmsource CEO David Nagel was going to demonstrate today in Chicago at the Wireless Enterprise Symposium at 9 AM CDT. Can anybody give details about the device he demonstrated on and how it looked/worked?
    Not necessarily.

Blackberry users currently can take advantage of two solutions (Enterprise or Personal editions,) similar to Business Connection. The Enterprise edition does require it to be run on a server, more usefull to bigger companies.

The Personal edition is internet based and works with regular POP3 e-mail accounts. This is close to the personal edition of Sprint's business connection but your computer does not need to remain on. Updating of the inbox is done while syncing (meaning deleting of messages etc.), not real time. And it does give you "push" of regular POP3 e-mail.
    it's also important to remember that this announcement is from palmSource - it'll take some time for the device licensees such as PalmOne to come out with their own client.
    But it's certainly a step in the right direction; maybe we'll see something tangible come out of this sooner than expected!! I hope so, as my IT dudes will only support BES and nothing else.
    My brief interpretation is that if your company has a blackberrty enterprise solution, then you will be able to have blackberry type funciton on the palms.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    My brief interpretation is that if your company has a blackberrty enterprise solution, then you will be able to have blackberry type funciton on the palms.
    No.

Based on the announcement anyone will be able to take advantage of it.

"(including BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Web Client)"

True, if your company currently has the Enterprise solution you'll be able to use that. However, the Web Client, which is also mentioned as becoming available is the internet based solution, open to anyone. No server is required.
    quote:
    My brief interpretation is that if your company has a blackberrty enterprise solution, then you will be able to have blackberry type funciton on the palms. end quote

Yes.

the critical item in that statement was 'if your company has BES' - so yes, if your company has BES, and once palmOne comes out with their BB client, based on this announcement, then yes, my Treo (or whatever it'll be by then, and who knows which OS it'll be, and what form factor, etc) will have a BB client. I could hook my Treo/Neo/whateverEO to my company's BES.

certainly the web stuff will work as well, as LG says above.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    That's true.

I just didn't want anyone to think the only way they'd be able to take advantage of the service is if their company currently has an enterprise server.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    If it is Cobalt-only it is non-news for TREO owners. The timeframe suggests it's Cobalt (and maybe perhaps blue moon Garnet).
    No where in the story does it indicate that the BB-Connect client only be for Cobalt. In fact, I would higly doubt it since PalmSource has made it
    clear they intend to release Garnet (OS 5.x) as a smartphone focused platform. Thus it would make no sense for PalmSource to develop a Cobalt only version of this software...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    where did you see that information seldomvisitor?
    I didn't see any information - it was the LACK of information that was being
    commented upon.

PalmSource is in Garnet/Cobalt mode - those are (have been) the two operating systems in their product line since late(st) December - both operating systems have numerous features that the "old" PalmOSes do not have.

Is this new BlackBerry client-to-be (note - it does not exist right now) going to be backward-compatible with discontinued operating systems? Perhaps.

Maybe TreoCentral should give PalmSource a quickie call and find out...then write an article.
    Seldom, the demo was on a Samsung running OS5, so a limitation to Cobalt seems less likely.
    Tenkuveddymuch - do you know if a video is available?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Tenkuveddymuch - do you know if a video is available?
    I haven't seen a link to a video yet. Here's the relevant paragraph from the C|net report:

"At a RIM conference in Chicago on Tuesday, PalmSource Chief Executive David Nagel demonstrated the BlackBerry Connect and Mail for BlackBerry software on a Samsung SGH i500 phone. Samsung earlier this year had announced its intention to bring the BlackBerry service to its phones."

The full story is at:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5215...l?tag=nefd.top
    This is great news. I have had a 600 (pick up in Singapore) for a couple months. Rest of company is moving to BB but when I asked the IT folks about connecting with the Treo they mentioned that RIM was working on it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast