1.    #1  
    I came accross this article today. Looks like there will be an improved camera in the upcoming consumer version of the Treo. The picture caption alludes to the use of the new 1.3 megapixel capability in the Treo 600. Ryan, get ready to update movie rec!
    Doug
    Interesting... I wonder if PalmOne is already useing this chip in the Zire 72? Is so, then we can get an idea of what a future Treo cam would be like...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    they cant just start to put it in new treo600s can they? surely everyone who already has a treo is goingto want a free upgrade. if they do i can feel my treo going bad a needing a replacement
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    it is so amazing that Zire72 has bluetooth, 1.3m cam, video / voice recording capabilities and it only costs 299. Treo has the phone and pda function without bt, 1.3m cam, video / voice recording (it provides in the new firmware) for 699 (retail price, or something like that).

big different.

i was so amazed to see zire72 in palmone cafe in LA on Sunday.
  5.    #5  
    While existing Treo 600 owners will not be getting a free upgrade to the new chip, there will be the day when phones will be hardware as well as software upgradeable. Wonder how long that will be, two years, ten years?
    Doug
    i wonder if the price for a treo 600 will go up? if its a better chip its going to cost more isnt it
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Megapixels would def make a camera in a phone worthwhile...but they can't just throw in a cheap CCD and expect to make a better camera-phone! The CCD is just one part of the equation. The VGA CCD in the current Treo600 is VGA rez, which is respectible for certain uses (web), but the implementation has produced a horrible camera with all sorts of issues! Very poor shutter control (very slow speed), very poor optics (plastic!!), etc, and etc! Maybe they should spend their money on making a better camera overall...not just increasing specs and thinking we will all just happily plunk down the money for the better number.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Whats the point of having a high megapixle camera if there is no flash? My pics come out great when I am outside in the sun, all of my bad pics are because of low light levels. I would much rather have a flash than a 1.3 mega pixel camera
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlion
    Whats the point of having a high megapixle camera if there is no flash? My pics come out great when I am outside in the sun, all of my bad pics are because of low light levels. I would much rather have a flash than a 1.3 mega pixel camera
    You said it dude, you said it. We need a flash for better pictures. But then the question becomes do you need a good camera or a good phone? Because I know I won't be taking pictures at Christmas time with my phone.
    i think your missing the point of the treo's camera its not for excellent pictures its for times for when you dont expect you will need your camera and this is when the treo is the best thing in the world

Heh, wouldn't hold my breath y'all. It's a brand new chip - they're probably just now shipping samples out to their larger clients. I wouldn't look for this one to hit the street in *anything* for at least 6-9 months...
    i think a higher resolution camera would be completely pointless with the 600's craptacular resolution..i can't wait for the "610" to have a higher res screen..after that, all the improved video stuff can follow
    Quote Originally Posted by fmertz
    While existing Treo 600 owners will not be getting a free upgrade to the new chip, there will be the day when phones will be hardware as well as software upgradeable. Wonder how long that will be, two years, ten years?
    So why wouldn't P1 offer an upgrade; send the unit in, screw on a Better Optical Lens for the camera, add BT Chip, upgrade Antenna, snap in a new screen, Burn some new firmware and oh lets not forget the give away (Tetris B&W version) then buff, shine and clean then ship right back out for, well how about $200.00 a pop.

Maybe soon we will be calling them palm$
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    Well if you think about it, it probably costs very little to upgrade the camera to 1.3 megapixels. 5.0 megapixels is common today on dedicated phones. I think the current camera probably costs about $5 at most of the parts. The 1.3 version is probably $10. It's a much more expensive undertaking to switch to high res screens. It should also be a fairly simple replacement as the camera isn't heavily integrated into a lot of things (what it is integrated into is masked by the software).

I don't know how far away the next Treo is, but 6 months doesn't seem unreasonable. In such a case, I don't see why this camera couldn't be in there.